BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Albums & Other Releases - Music for Supermarkets

Livgivare - Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:00 pm
Post subject: Music for Supermarkets
Tell us what you think about this album here.

Love Leelene

Jakob BC - Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:04 pm

It's a shame that his album was never released, there are so many great tracks on this album. I like the way he tries to make some of the tracks sound like real supermarket muzak... part 2, 4 & 8.
I like part 7 of this album better than Diva from the zoolook album.
This album is like the transformation from Magnetic Fields into the Zoolook music style. The lead from part 1 sounds as a track that could on both Magnetic Fields and Zoolook.

Finaero - Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:04 pm

I have to say I haven't listened to this album pretty much at all, most of the tracks are cool and all, but MFS1 really stands out for me. In fact, I think this is an album people should actually remake, yes, I'm talking to the replica masters now (they probably don't read the forum though) ;)

Yeah, MFS1 pretty much rocks them all, but MFS4 is quite cool too.

7.5/10

LeoDaV - Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:15 pm

Finaero wrote:
I have to say I haven't listened to this album pretty much at all, most of the tracks are cool and all, but MFS1 really stands out for me. In fact, I think this is an album people should actually remake, yes, I'm talking to the replica masters now (they probably don't read the forum though) ;)

Yeah, MFS1 pretty much rocks them all, but MFS4 is quite cool too.

7.5/10

We do read the forum :lol:
I take it you have part 2: MPS Partie 2 (unfinished)?

Part 1 is more difficult than one thinks it is...

The whole album is great!

J.

Christophe - Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:20 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)
AnDrOiD - Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:27 pm

I love this album! :mrgreen:
GeeJee - Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 pm

You know, this kicks ass! I'm eagerly (and most likely for ever) awaiting a luxurious re-release... :D 9.5/10
Livgivare - Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:10 am

Fun album to have, poor sound. The one who is the happy owner of the LP must laugh his ass off each night due to the fact that so many wants to have it. I still am not so sure about if it was destroyed or not, the original tape. Because what you hear is obvious on other albums later on.

Love Leelene

LeoDaV - Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:29 am

Leelene wrote:
Fun album to have, poor sound. The one who is the happy owner of the LP must laugh his ass off each night due to the fact that so many wants to have it. I still am not so sure about if it was destroyed or not, the original tape. Because what you hear is obvious on other albums later on.

Love Leelene

The original mastering tape that was used to make the LP is destroyed. JMJ did not destroy other tapes he made ;) Listen to zoolook...
The pour sound is because it was only broadcasted once on AM-radio. Hence the bad quality and in those days the only medium you could record on was cassette tapes or 19" tapes if you had access to them. I own a 3rd generation copy it's as close as one can get.

J.

jarrekid - Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 am

I NEED to hear this in good quality.
When I'm older, I'll buy the vinyl, record it, and share it on the internet with all of you, ok? :D

PMgep - Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Part 1 are so great. But I do NOT want it re-released. I want it to be what it is. And also, I want to buy the LP :D
Big time - Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Great album!! :D
Rompipompi - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Too bad he used much of this material for the later albums Zoolook and Rendez-Vous, somehow it's not so exclusive anymore. If I was the guy who bough the original Supermarkets LP and later on find bits from this music on other original released albums, I would really feel screwed by Jarre. But as a Jarre-fan I'm happy he used these songs for the original released albums, because it would have been a waste of beautifull music.
Finaero - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:45 pm

LeoDaV wrote:

We do read the forum :lol:
I take it you have part 2: MPS Partie 2 (unfinished)?

Good to know :)

Yes, I already had that one.
:wink:

AnDrOiD - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Rompipompi wrote:
If I was the guy who bough the original Supermarkets LP and later on find bits from this music on other original released albums, I would really feel screwed by Jarre.

Don't think so. He's still got the one and only copy of The album! It's the value and rareness of the package itself that counts, I think, not so much the music. For that matter I think it would be ok for Jarre to re-create the album and release it on CD.

GeeJee - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:54 pm

And on the other hand, not that much of the music is re-used... :roll:
Finaero - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Anyone remember GeeJee's april fools last year? ;)
GeeJee - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:55 pm

I don't! :|
Finaero - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:58 pm

You sure?
Jakob BC - Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:13 pm

jarrekid wrote:
I NEED to hear this in good quality.
When I'm older, I'll buy the vinyl, record it, and share it on the internet with all of you, ok? :D

Then I hope you will find it and buy it :D

To be honest I don't care about the status of this album, it's annoying that I can't listen to the album in great quality. I don't care if the album was released and the rarity of the album will disappear. I just want the album.

Nico_Noyau - Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:11 pm

I great step between Concerts En Chine and Zoolook
It's great that it wasn't released up to one copy :P

9/10

Robi - Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:54 pm

MFS 6 is great! But the whole album is cool!
Bj-1 - Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Very good album, though the poor sound quality is ruining it a bit.

7/10

Feffeli - Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:46 pm

A bunch of us need to get together and do a revamped version of it, like Jarremix only better. :P
LeoDaV - Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:10 am

Feffeli wrote:
A bunch of us need to get together and do a revamped version of it, like Jarremix only better. :P

Plans of such a remake is underway. I just need to find some more time or delegate better ;)

J.

ZZERO - Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:25 pm

LeoDaV wrote:
The original mastering tape that was used to make the LP is destroyed. J.

He destroyed the master plate from wich the test copy (destroyed) and the final copy (aucted) were made.

The reels, the original recording tapes are, sure, in a secure place.

ZZERO - Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Look how the MASTER PLATE burns:

Christophe - Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:32 pm

ZZERO wrote:
Look how the MASTER PLATE burns:

Wow, the "Master Plate" burns very hard!!! :shock: :wink:

Greetzzz...

GeeJee - Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 pm

ZZERO wrote:
The reels, the original recording tapes are, sure, in a secure place.

I'm sure about that too... let's have a re-release! :D 8)

Nico_Noyau - Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:47 pm

I don't think he will have done this head if he had burned the ONLY way of a second record :?
Sure he kept a record for himself ;)

Livgivare - Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Yeah...let's have a re-release! Jarre you owe it to us fans!

Love Leelene

ZZERO - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 am

noyau wrote:
Sure he kept a record for himself ;)

First: Why do you want an egg if you have the chicken?
And: I confide in JARRE. That issue, the "MFS" recording and auction, is so original, so brilliant... I can't believe he made a copy for himself.

GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 am

Leelene wrote:
Jarre you owe it to us fans!

Well, he doesn't.

But it would be pretty damn cool, yes. :D

Livgivare - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:11 am

GeeJee wrote:
Leelene wrote:
Jarre you owe it to us fans!

Well, he doesn't.

But it would be pretty damn cool, yes. :D

If he absolutely love his fans he do, hehe imo!

Love Leelene

GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:12 am

That sounds like blackmailing... :P :lol:
Livgivare - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:13 am

Me blackmailing Jarre, nah can't be true!

Love Leelene

Jakob BC - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:13 am

ZZERO wrote:

Im not sure what you meant about that.

Release the album!

GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:16 am

Synthesist wrote:
ZZERO wrote:

That would mean "why do you want an album if you have the master tape" :P doesn't make sense, really.. :roll:

@Leelene: well, an artists does what he wants, at the time he think is right, and he does not owe anyone anything, for no reason... that's what an artist is... like it or not :D

Nico_Noyau - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:18 am

GeeJee wrote:
Synthesist wrote:
ZZERO wrote:

That would mean "why do you want an album if you have the master tape" :P doesn't make sense, really.. :roll:

or "why do you want to keep the album if you have synths to reproduce it"
but I'm not of this opinion ;)

GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:19 am

me neiter! re-release now! :D :P
Jakob BC - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:23 am

GeeJee wrote:

end of discussion :)

Nico_Noyau - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:23 am

GeeJee wrote:

I don't want a release, I think it'll break the myth of this album, only cassettes tapes of it, in poor quality and a record from the original running in the nature, gah, no, definately I don't want a re-release 8)

GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:25 am

You don't have to buy it... :D
Nico_Noyau - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:27 am

Sure, but when I'll see it, I'll need it :mrgreen:
GeeJee - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:29 am

But you said you didn't want it... :P
Jakob BC - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:31 am

I think it's a shame this album is almost unknown, I get what you man about the myth of the album, it's just such a cool album I just need to have in decent quality.
ZZERO - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:40 am

I could be happy if JARRE publishes "MFS1" into a box of rarities. Don't need the complete album, as NOYAU seys, it could break the myth of "MFS".
Nico_Noyau - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:42 am

GeeJee wrote:
But you said you didn't want it... :P

Yes, I don't want it and I will not ask JMJ to release it, but if he releases it (won't be because of me), I'll buy it :P (only for the collection!)

ZZERO - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:48 am

And what about "Aor"? Let's ask JARRE for its complete release. :roll:
Nico_Noyau - Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:52 am

OR owe your money to ask the record to the french TV channel which broadcasted it in 1971 :P
AnDrOiD - Tue May 16, 2006 2:56 pm

We ought to track down the owner of the original vinyl, and make him/her make a decent mp3 copy from a laser-turntable. :mrgreen:
Jakob BC - Tue May 16, 2006 4:11 pm

I wonder where it is now and how much it has been listened to. Imagin if the record is broken.
Nico_Noyau - Tue May 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Synthesist wrote:
I wonder where it is now and how much it has been listened to. Imagin if the record is broken.

Well, I hope it's not brocken :o
If I have it one day, I'll record it on very very very good music format and I burn it on CD or DVD !

GeeJee - Tue May 16, 2006 8:07 pm

I would buy a Laser Turntable if I had the money, to be able to listen to vinyl records in the best possible quality... including MFS 8)
Nico_Noyau - Tue May 16, 2006 8:13 pm

I took my father's ReVoX B795 Direct Drive Turntable and I love it (use a RIAA preamp' !!!!)
I prefer to listen LP compared to CD....
LP quality is much better !!! We hear each channel separately :D

GeeJee - Tue May 16, 2006 8:19 pm

It's about sampling, my dear. LP has the 'whole' signal, whereas CD's are resampled, and thus lack very little of the signal...
Jakob BC - Tue May 16, 2006 8:19 pm

I prefer to listen to electronic music on LP. My soundsystem is digital, but it still sounds more analog.
marnix - Mon May 22, 2006 9:22 pm

GeeJee wrote:
It's about sampling, my dear. LP has the 'whole' signal, whereas CD's are resampled, and thus lack very little of the signal...

Yes, analogue represents the signal "as is" depending on the quality of equipment being used ofcourse. But this also goes for digital equipment, with a major drawback: it's trying to emulate natural (physical) sounds digitally, and therefore (ultimately) there is no nuance inbetween 0 and 1.

Friend - Wed May 24, 2006 11:56 am

wow
http://youtube.com/watch?...0Michel%20Jarre

GeeJee - Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm

I knew that cool vid :mrgreen:
Jakob BC - Wed May 24, 2006 2:04 pm

I knew that video too. I wonder what's on the pictures inside the cover.
GeeJee - Wed May 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Synthesist wrote:

Wait and see. :mrgreen:

Jakob BC - Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 pm

GeeJee wrote:
Synthesist wrote:

Now as you say that, I think I remember that it was a collection of pictures of JMJ working on the album, but Im not sure.

Digital Snake« - Wed May 24, 2006 7:36 pm

Synthesist wrote:
GeeJee wrote:
Synthesist wrote:

Now as you say that, I think I remember that it was a collection of pictures of JMJ working on the album, but Im not sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nico_Noyau - Wed May 24, 2006 7:38 pm

Thank You Digital Snake :D
GeeJee - Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm

Spoiler :? :twisted:

:wink: 8)

PMgep - Thu May 25, 2006 2:19 am

I have those picuters...
Ronja - Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 am

PMgep wrote:
I have those picuters...

Me too ;)

Mogan - Thu May 25, 2006 12:28 pm

I haven't seen the cover yet...
How do you get that/those songs?

moviemaker - Thu May 25, 2006 7:07 pm

I think Jarre told everyone to record it, when it was originally broadcast! Too bad we didn't have Digital Radio and Digital Recorders handy back then.

I wonder what he would say today.

Anyway, it seems that if there was a "legitimate" or ""Artist Sanctioned" Bootleg, then MFSL qualifies and the fans should be able to remaster this as they see fit.

That is... until Jarre releases "Music for Supermarkets" as a one off on iTunes soon (hehehehe).

LaDefense - Sun May 28, 2006 5:53 pm

Here is a picture of the owner of MFS: Mr. Gerard. I think that's the person you can see in the small video...

GeeJee - Sun May 28, 2006 6:11 pm

He doesn't own it currently. At least, that's what I know about it.
ZZERO - Sun May 28, 2006 6:27 pm

At least, we haven't a picture of the real "MFS" owner. I know that photo, and I trhink that picture looks like a scan from a newspaper.
jarrekid - Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 am

I think it was the NME (UK music mag) that said in 1998 "JMJ made an album of which only one copy was made - and we've got it!" How seriously that can be taken is another matter.
Phil J. - Mon May 29, 2006 11:04 am

jarrekid wrote:
I think it was the NME (UK music mag) that said in 1998 "JMJ made an album of which only one copy was made - and we've got it!" How seriously that can be taken is another matter.

There's no mention of it on their website and i don't think they're big fans of his anyway.

AnDrOiD - Mon May 29, 2006 12:35 pm

GeeJee wrote:

Is that guy even alive today? :?

GeeJee - Mon May 29, 2006 12:56 pm

AnDrOiD wrote:
GeeJee wrote:

Is that guy even alive today? :?

You mean mr. Gerrard? I don't know. He was alive about 8 months ago...

VinceBlood - Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Quote:

No, according to the sound engineer David Manley; LP distort the analog signal along you approach the center of the disc : you loose high frequencies from the beginning to end of LP.
Sound is ok with one track on a Maxi LP.
Otherwise for him, LP is just good for freesbee.

LP and CD has their own advantages and constraints.
LP is not a very good support and CD is not a shit.

Ultimate support is analog tape.

hiram33 - Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello, I would just to precise one thing the last picture on the inside cover of MFS is a picture o I with JMJ I did in 1991 when Jarre invited me at his home. I made this montage just for fun in globe-trotter issue 7. I don't know how this montage arrives here but it's fun.
ZZERO - Wed May 23, 2007 8:56 pm

hiram33 wrote:
Hello, I would just to precise one thing the last picture on the inside cover of MFS is a picture o I with JMJ I did in 1991 when Jarre invited me at his home. I made this montage just for fun in globe-trotter issue 7. I don't know how this montage arrives here but it's fun.

Hi, are you THIERRY ROUAULT? If yes, I want to thank your precious work in GLOBE TROTTER. Great!!

hiram33 - Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Yes I am, thanks for your support. I will be happy if all the webmasters had the same opinion than yours cause Jarre Uk for instance refuse to put my site in their links cause my site "isn' t so good than that" that is their critic
ZZERO - Wed May 23, 2007 10:40 pm

hiram33 wrote:
Yes I am, thanks for your support. I will be happy if all the webmasters had the same opinion than yours cause Jarre Uk for instance refuse to put my site in their links cause my site "isn' t so good than that" that is their critic

Thanks to you anyway. Your 7", 12" and CDs list is the best I've ever seen, my guide to know what I'm bidding for in Ebay or to know how rare is the record I've found in a records shop.

I really like to know about your investigation about JARRE to write that great report in Jukebox Magazine. Please, talk us about it.

Thanks in advance. Happy to "meet" you. :wink:

moviemaker - Thu May 24, 2007 5:17 am

I agree with Zzero.

I too have used your site as a great reference tool and it was actually one of the first sites for me, an American to find out about all the rare releases of Jarre, so thanks again Hiram33 for your great website!

As I said in another post. The BLAHBLAHCAFE forum is like a little international family, so again Welcome!

peace.

CLUBMIX - Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 am

hiram33 wrote:

well, they didn't put my site in their link list either.... but no reasons given..... oh well :nod:

hiram33 - Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks moviemaker and zzero. Actually, I collect all things about JMJ since 1985. At this time the records of Jarre weren't collected and I founf Deserted Palace for only 350 francs (55 euros) and Les granges Br├╗l├ęes for 50 francs (8 euros). I am librarist and I have the possibility to access to Institut National de l'Audiovisuel, Biblioth├Ęque Nationale de France. Thanks to that, I found the quasi totality of press articles about Jarre in France since 1971 (in my site I put 150 articles but in the future it will be 500). I wrote two articles in Juke-Box magazine in 1990 and 1999 (this magazine is the Reccord Collector in France).
I wrote a book about the french singer Daniel Balavoine (who worked with Joe Hammer and Andy Scott like Jarre and recorded musics with the Fairlight). If this book is a best seller my editor will help me to write a book about JMJ (I hope). I met Jarre a lot of times (he invited me at his home in 1991 and I offered La Cage to him cause he lost it). I took a picture of JMJ with La Cage.

moviemaker - Thu May 24, 2007 11:22 am

Hiram33: Oh..great story!!! Please post the pix of Jarre with La Cage... would love to see that one!

Clubmix: They should definitely add your site too...but you know what, do you really care about that JarreUK site? I have never gone there for information--it's almost obsolete. We get more information from the BLAHBLAHCAFE and Space Of Freedom Forums. Most of JarreUK's links are outdated and the site is not that well designed IMHO. Nothing against the poeople.

ZZERO - Thu May 24, 2007 12:36 pm

moviemaker wrote:
Hiram33: Oh..great story!!! Please post the pix of Jarre with La Cage... would love to see that one!

Here it is:

HIRAM33, I really love to hear that kind of stories about JARRE. Why don't you open a issue about it in this Forum? I think it could be great for all JARREfans.

hiram33 - Thu May 24, 2007 1:02 pm

I opened a discussion called "my souvenirs of Jarre" if you want to see it. I loved this photo, it's a lot of good souvenirs.
Nico_Noyau - Thu May 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Damn, what a story ! :o
You can access the INA ? :|
What abotu AOR ? :punch:

moviemaker - Thu May 24, 2007 7:10 pm

hiram33 wrote:
I opened a discussion called "my souvenirs of Jarre" if you want to see it. I loved this photo, it's a lot of good souvenirs.

Thank you Hiram33, Iwill check it out!

And thanks for posting the Pix Zzero!

GeeJee - Thu May 24, 2007 10:21 pm

let's return ontopic folks!
hiram33 - Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Aor isn't at INA but Dorian Gray is and I wil try to see it.
Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 5:49 pm

I have never heard about Dorian Grey, what is it ?
Maybe we can create a topic about that one, that can be very interesting !
But good luck in your search ;)

Jarp2600 - Fri May 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Nico_Noyau wrote:
I have never heard about Dorian Grey, what is it ?
Maybe we can create a topic about that one, that can be very interesting !
But good luck in your search ;)

A track by FR, and Click :mrgreen:

But that is quite irrelevant I think :mrgreen: :punch:

Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Didn't Francis say it had sth to do with JMJ ?
moviemaker - Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 pm

I think I remember reading that Dorian Gray was either an opera or film that Jarre was going to contribute some music too but never did???? The early years...
Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 8:08 pm

I have read that was another ballet he worked on, if I remember well, he worked on 3 ballets ;)
hiram33 - Fri May 25, 2007 9:01 pm

See my site and you wil know than Jarre composed trhee opera : Aor (1971), Le Labyrinthe (1972), Dorian Gray (1973).
http://alnr.chez.tiscali.fr/toutjarre

Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 10:38 pm

hiram33 wrote:
See my site and you wil know than Jarre composed trhee opera : Aor (1971), Le Labyrinthe (1972), Dorian Gray (1973).
http://alnr.chez.tiscali.fr/toutjarre

Oh, yeah, that's iiiiiiit !
I write "dorian jarre" on Google, then I went on your website, and it reminded me something, but indeed, this is your website !
So, I read it there :P

GeeJee - Fri May 25, 2007 11:40 pm

You should remember nic'... I've told you about this before... :smoke:
Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 11:45 pm

"Before"...
Yeah, but my memory is :robertdugenou:

GeeJee - Fri May 25, 2007 11:45 pm

You got pwned by my granny, duud :smoke:
Nico_Noyau - Fri May 25, 2007 11:46 pm

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all :P
But sth is surprising me, you are forcing me to get offtopic ! :evil:

GeeJee - Fri May 25, 2007 11:50 pm

To blame or not to spame, that's the question :P
Or should that be... to blam or not to spam...

Oh well.

ONTOPICCC! :smoke:

F.Crown - Wed May 30, 2007 6:48 am
Post subject: MFS NO-edited Photos
I share this NO-edited Photos: :smoke:

http://i158.photobucket.c...crown/Cover.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.c...n/Interior1.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.c...n/Interior2.jpg

HURRAY FOR SUPERMARKETS!!

:peacemaan:

hiram33 - Wed May 30, 2007 9:16 am

sorry but once again this photomontage of interior cover was made by me just for fun in 1991, the last photo it's me and not the real owner of MPS
F.Crown - Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 am

:shock: Ok if you make that photomontage can you anwer this simple questions:

┬┐ where you get/take the original photos ?

┬┐ why the glass/frame is broken ?

┬┐ what are behind your photo ?

ThnkU :punch:

hiram33 - Wed May 30, 2007 9:45 am

┬┐ where you get/take the original photos ? Book of Remilleux

┬┐ why the glass/frame is broken ? Because the pictures were displayed in the middle on two pages

┬┐ what are behind your photo ? just a black frame

F.Crown - Wed May 30, 2007 9:48 am

Great! Thanks!

Now i have the correct info! THANKS!!

:mrgreen:

Finaero - Thu May 31, 2007 10:51 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...or_Supermarkets

Well, that article is rather dubious... of course including Thierry's infamous picture, but a mention of some MFS1 version on an UNESCO disc?

Any truth in that? 8)

Trance007 - Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Yes, but it was not the original MFS1, but a cover made by a fan band (can't remember their name)

I think there was only 300 copies made.
The benefit were given to the Unesco.

Jarp2600 - Thu May 31, 2007 11:51 pm

Trance007 wrote:
Yes, but it was not the original MFS1, but a cover made by a fan band (can't remember their name)

Isn't that Mercurey?

Antigoon - Thu May 31, 2007 11:59 pm

Jarp2600 wrote:
Trance007 wrote:

Isn't that Mercurey?

I guess it is.

In 1994 we made a cover version of it and made a copy wich we sold for 410 guilders to "some swiss guy" (proceeds going to Unesco)...

There was only ONE copy made however and played ONCE on a local radio station. In true spirit of the original ;-)

It's a little fact keeps popping up sometimes....

CLUBMIX - Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:17 am

Antigoon wrote:
Jarp2600 wrote:
Trance007 wrote:

Isn't that Mercurey?

I guess it is.

In 1994 we made a cover version of it and made a copy wich we sold for 410 guilders to "some swiss guy" (proceeds going to Unesco)...

There was only ONE copy made however and played ONCE on a local radio station. In true spirit of the original ;-)

It's a little fact keeps popping up sometimes....

"Swiss Guy" .... that wasn't me......

Antigoon - Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 am

Well believe it or not but...

Theres more PPL living in switserland indeed, what a discovery eh?

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Finaero - Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 am

Ah, neat. 8)
Trance007 - Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:46 am

Antigoon wrote:

Sorry for the mistake.

Parts of my memory were erased by whisky and cola some years ago. ;)

F.Crown - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:16 am

Thanks to Zzero i have better scans of the Book of Remilleux!!! :nod:

It's interesing see the 11 polaroids of MFS in higer details.... :D

Also the 11 Polaroids of Zoolook..... :shock:

hiram33 - Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Maybe the photomontage I made would be put off the wikipedia article because it's me on pitcure and not Monsieur G├ęrard. I wonder how this photomontage has been used in internet cause it was only in my french fanzine Globe-Trotter (just 100 copies). It was just a joke and a lot of people took that seriously. Sometimes my work is used (directly taken from my site) and the webmasters haven't tje politness to quote their source, it's a shame and there it's an error since I proove you my montage was a joke.
Jakob BC - Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:23 pm

I have some large pictures of the photos from the inside of the cover, and I just noticed that the last photo is the one you posted a few days ago.
Antigoon - Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:34 pm

hiram33 wrote:
Maybe the photomontage I made would be put off the wikipedia article because it's me on pitcure and not Monsieur G├ęrard. I wonder how this photomontage has been used in internet cause it was only in my french fanzine Globe-Trotter (just 100 copies). It was just a joke and a lot of people took that seriously. Sometimes my work is used (directly taken from my site) and the webmasters haven't tje politness to quote their source, it's a shame and there it's an error since I proove you my montage was a joke.

Well, why they used that picture might have a more simple explenaition...

Maybe someone who had your magazine but not the remilieux book made a scan of it and put it online somewhere. Since it was the only version online at that point many PPL copied it for their for their website because it was the only thing they had (the remillieux book wasn't that succesfull afterall....)

I'm not convinced it's on loads of websites because PPL "took it seriously" I think they did so because it was all they had....

And that's how it keeps popping up

Hiram, i've known you for over a decade now and I've come to know you as a person who is (I wish I knew a way to say this politely) a bit paranoid about PPL "stealing" stuff from you.

Know this, everything you write on a website is sorta "public domain" according to many (including me) and you just gonna have to learn to live with the fact that PPL copy and paste info without mentioning their source. Add to that a domino effect of PPL borowing stuff from the person that borrowed info from you to get a lot of copies mentioning no source or (even worse) PPL giving credits to the source they found it on thinking they do a good thing....

C'est la vie...

ZZERO - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 pm

I got this photo from the internet a few years ago. The man of the photo is MR. GERAD, I suposse.

GeeJee - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:53 pm

That's mr. Gerard in deed.
Jakob BC - Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:09 pm

And the only picture existing as far as I know. But then again isn't the album owned by someone else now?
Nico_Noyau - Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Yes, it is ;)
But I really wonder how much the current owner paid it and when did he buy it :P

hiram33 - Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:57 am

Paronoid ??? I have to defend myself. I have a formation in french litterature (PH D) and in university I Learnt to respect the sources. So I think it's normal to quote the work of other authors, it's not paranoïa, the teachers learnt me that in university. So when I passed years and years in libraries to find rares documents about Jarre to write an article in 1990 speaking about rare jarre stuffs for the first time and I saw after many webmasters and authors of fanzines took my work without quote my articles I think I have the right to say it's not correct, It means it's really not paranoïa, it's fight to place "respect" as value. But when I see the behaviour of certain fan I think respect is rare. I mean the fact the majority of jarre fan are men is really symbolic. Agressivity, lake of politness is really hard. I 'm fan of a french singer loved by women in majority (Balavoine) and I can insure you I never saw lake of politness between fan, it's really really respect and tolerance. I think women are better than men.
Antigoon - Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 am

Relax dude... I only used the word "paranoid" since I have no better word for it that isn't as insulting...

But you did however prove my point...

I know you spend a lot of time researching, I also know other fan magazines didn't steal any of it...

I was one of those editors (and JUST the editor) for a fanzine you accussed so I definatly know what I'm talking about here.. Sure, I might have used some info you were the first to discover that other PPL told me about, but once told the information itself is public domain..., Also I'm not able to read any french. The info you claimed I stole from you actualy came from a different source (who might have read your article..) and I NEVER stole anything, and you were NEVER able to read what I wrote in dutch to begin with to verify your so called claim..

I also remember meeting you Thierry at CPLT rehearsals where I introduced myself to you. I also remember you starting to shout at me and get lost because I was stealing your work etc... Put that in my context mate... You accussed me of being in it for the money, just like all other fanclubs made money on selling bootlegs... How's that for respect? (and BTW, I wasn't the one selling bootleg T-shirts during your rant, that was you. hyporacy IMO...)

And then you come inhere complaining about PPL being disrespectfull? What world do you live in?

I agree with you on one thing though, Women are better then men (and OK, Daniel Balavoine made good music, tragic loss indeed so we have 2 things we agree on...)

and for anyone who doubts me, this is a quote i took from hiram33's website that explains a lot (link where I found it: http://alnr.chez-alice.fr...gtenglish.html)

Quote:
It was also necessary to stop the idea of profit related to the fan clubs and try to understand what fans wanted to know, what they could seek well. Thus was born the idea to propose a magazine color at a cheap price and the free recording of the untraceable musics of the artists. The detailed analysis of Jarre works and VangeIis would be followed thus better. The sharing of my collection of discs seemed to me right, because in the current society we often notics selfishness. I thought that it was of my duty to show another way with the creation of an association with nonlucrative and philanthropic goal. Philanthropy, this word involves mistrust so much it was disparaged but I hope to have convinced the members who it was not simply a beautiful idea within Globe-Trotter.

Let me just say one thing to you mate, I don't know a single fanclub that didn't LOSE money on doing what they did.... There was no profit to be made.

This included Mark Gidley from COTM, Revolution's crew, destination Jarre, Magnetic fields from DK, jarre.net, jarre-uk, jarre-mania, oxygenie from belgium, jarrelook from germany (the fanclub, not the UK band) and fairlight jarre.. (I probably missed some, but they lost money too)

Also, making rare music availlable for free (one of your goals listed above) is ILLEGAL and called BOOTLEGGING and not practised by any fanclub at that time as far as I know......

All of them were losing money doing what they did. And glueing a photo on your cover doesn't make it a colour magazine....

GeeJee - Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:30 am

Look - it's all pretty simple.
When you find new information, you can't claim this information to be yours, even if you first published it. (Which, btw, makes me think, if you found it somewhere in the library, you are not even the first publisher, so have you (hiram) quoted your credits?)
The one and only source it comes from is JMJ, because it's all about him in the end, and about his life. You can't claim information about him being yours, so nobody can steal anything from you. As soon as you put this information on your site, it's free for anybody to rephrase and use for their own website.

Sure, being gentle, I get your point. It's not nice to see somebody walk away with something you think you found first, but you can't force people to credit you, not like that, not with this attitude. You could ask people in a friendly way, explain your point, and perhaps, perhaps, they are willing to credit you.

Don't take this is an offense, cause it's not. I don't choose a party, I'm just (trying to) think rational.

Jakob BC - Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:19 am

As the teachers have always told: right it in your own words, if you got it from another written source. I would say that is the issue. If you are using some information it is a good idea to re-write the text only, if you know what I mean. However I don't know how this debate started and what was claimed to be some "copyright" information. But as it has been mentioned, information about JMJ cannot be copyrighted.
Jon - Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:10 am

That is correct. If you put any sourced information into your own words, then you can say something if it's taken and you are not credited, but you have to credit your source aswell. Even though this information is on the net, it is still visible to millions of people and also open to be used or quoted, the latter can easily be taken out of context. When taking source from any publication, not only is it courtesy to credit where you obtained the information, it is also (in many cases) against copyright laws to use the information without consent from the author. Even looking about the net, yes, many people
scan images from publications. All because you have posted them on the public domain does not mean you are not open to copyright infringement, it just takes a long time for the authorities to track down the original source if they see fit to follow it through. People can make a lot of money from things that are not there's to start with. Copyright laws are there for a reason.

Regarding images - Images can be protected using such things as watermarks, but credit still has to be used if reproduced for publications. Unless the image is (for example) taken by you. Some images the copyright can expire over a certain length of time, but be aware that the copyright law can be handed down to what ever estate the image comes from. For example, a image of Jarre, if not taken by a news agency, the image can be handed down into the family or estate as it's better known.

give credit where credit is due - what does that cost you at the end of the day.

F.Crown - Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:13 am

ON TOPIC!!!

:punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch:

F.Crown - Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:47 pm
Post subject: Music For Supermarkets: Auction, Master Burn and M.Gerard!
This is a short Inedit New Video of Auction of Music For Supermarkets, and the Burn of Master Record, also you can see the Owner of Music For Supermarkets " M.Gerard ". Is Inedit New Video of One French Program, i just extracted this part because is Inedit!, i hope you all enjoy this.

Youtube New Video of MFS!

CLUBMIX - Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 am

wow.... haven't seen that video in its entirety before... Thank you very much! Although in this clip, 2 videofeeds seemed to have been glued together... the interview thing is much more recent (as far as i can tell from JM's haircut)
jarrekid - Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Wow! Nice find! So that proves the master was burned... I guess Jarre tapped off a tape copy :P
Jakob BC - Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:02 pm

I understand the reaction of the dude who shake his head in the clip just after the burning tape :P
GeeJee - Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:33 pm

nice find! :wink2:
ralf - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:30 am

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vfgis

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Robi - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am

Fine cover.
Jon - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am

In reply to the video clip, and to quote the charactor from the 1968 movie Planet of the Apes . . . . . . . . . . . . . "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you!"
jarrekid - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 am

ralf wrote:

Who's is this? Obviously isn't the real thing (unfortunately) but still pretty well done.

Jon - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 am

ralf wrote:

Heard better!

moviemaker - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, I just have the original Catalog to keep me company. That and the bootleg CD (which I think probably every true Jarre fan already owns a copy)... :smoke:
CLUBMIX - Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 pm

....and which is still paid for too much on eBay sometimes....
radek tymecki - Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 pm

part 1 sux... part 2 is cut from original, part 3 is rendez vous [mfs3 is slightly diffrent at ending :) ], part 4 may be, later original blah blah
Finaero - Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Anyone can print a bootleg CD :P

But I guess I should print one extra-mega-sleek looking so some really desperate folk would buy it for £120.05 :pwned:

Pat1982 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:04 pm

ralf wrote:

Were's the B SIDE :D ??

moviemaker - Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 pm

radek tymecki wrote:
part 1 sux... part 2 is cut from original, part 3 is rendez vous [mfs3 is slightly diffrent at ending :) ], part 4 may be, later original blah blah

Which bootleg... I have about 3 different ones. I assumed the Radio Broadcast recorded on tape and transferred to CD with all it's glorious "snap," "crackle" and "pop" was the real one.

radek tymecki - Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 pm

downloaded from the link... few of tracks are not original ones [covers]
Pat1982 - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:23 pm

ralf wrote:

jarrekid wrote:
Who's is this? Obviously isn't the real thing (unfortunately) but still pretty well done.

radek tymecki wrote:
downloaded from the link... few of tracks are not original ones [covers]

I found it!
It was created by a Polish fan and is called: Music for Supermarkets Remastered (2006)

Radek, it was posted on your website, can you please translate what this guys says about it :D ?
http://www.jeanmicheljarr...91299943e#14755

And perhaps ask him for the B-side! :mrgreen:

radek tymecki - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm

well :) You just gave link to my remaster :D [radek tymecki = Roni :) ] but the remaster posted above is not my version

anyway... i was working with it for few weeks/months... i set proper pitch on both channells [pitch was "unstable" on right channell if i remember good :) ]

ralf - Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 pm

I found this great remaster of MFS Part 1.

http://rapidshare.com/fil...stereo.mp3.html

radek tymecki - Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 pm

sounds crap to me

i've found this teaser

http://pl.youtube.com/wat...MDov6osw&fmt=18

GeeJee - Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Awesome 8)
Rubberlips - Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:48 am

I'm amazed! Music For Supermarkets has turned up in London!

I've been archiving some old pictures to a back up hard drive and deleting some old ones, and I've come across this picture a friend of mine took at the Backstage Door of the Royal Albert Hall during the Oxygene Tour.

I must have missed it because it's a bad picture because of the light glare from someone else's flash... but there's no doubt what someone's holding!

Phil J. - Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:37 am

You're absolutely correct, I was stood next to the guy holding it. I think his name was Lirpa Loof or summat like that. :punch:
Dr_Jones - Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 am

Rubberlips wrote:
I'm amazed! Music For Supermarkets has turned up in London!

I've been archiving some old pictures to a back up hard drive and deleting some old ones, and I've come across this picture a friend of mine took at the Backstage Door of the Royal Albert Hall during the Oxygene Tour.

I must have missed it because it's a bad picture because of the light glare from someone else's flash... but there's no doubt what someone's holding!

wow, that's a pretty convincing one

Jakob BC - Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 am

So this is a part of the annual "Music For Supermarkets will be officially released" April fool? :wink:
Jon - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 am

Shame that he dropped it. . . . . . . . and I was there to pick it up and run off with it.
Kanta - Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 am

Yeah, you did a good job also for bringing it to me. :nod:
GeeJee - Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:20 pm

OMG the signature looks sooo .....bootlegged :wtf2:
Rubberlips - Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm

GeeJee wrote:

I don't think it is. Indeed I'd go so far to say that, without a doubt, the copy of Music For Supermarkets you see in the picture is the certified original - signature included!

Kanta - Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 pm

:shock: , was that photo taken at RAH? If it was, I must have been a few yards away from the Music For Supermarkets album. :punch:
Jakob BC - Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Rubberlips wrote:
GeeJee wrote:

I don't think it is. Indeed I'd go so far to say that, without a doubt, the copy of Music For Supermarkets you see in the picture is the certified original - signature included!

Why are you so sure it's the real deal? You need to come up with some better prooves, especially since today is the 1st of April :wink:

Rubberlips - Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Jakob BC wrote:
Rubberlips wrote:
GeeJee wrote:

Why are you so sure it's the real deal? You need to come up with some better prooves, especially since today is the 1st of April :wink:

I'm pretty certain the album cover you SEE here is THE original... :D

AnDrOiD - Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:35 pm

I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to just hold it like that. :P :pwned:
Phil J. - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Rubberlips wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:
Rubberlips wrote:
GeeJee wrote:

I'm pretty certain the album cover you SEE here is THE original... :D
Hmmm... the truth is out there....
Kanta - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Not today as it is 1 April. Wait for tomorrow, there is more of a chance. :fine:
GeeJee - Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:57 am

The supposedly album cover is too small too - compare the size of the hand to the size of the sleeve... I have quite big hands and mine are not nearly as big compared to a supposedly similar sized sleeve...

btw. you say you only came across while sorting your pics. I'm sure your friend would've told you about this special picture he took unless he didn't know anything about JMJ

btw2: why does this guy want to have it signed twice anyway? :pwned:

moviemaker - Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 am

radek tymecki wrote:
sounds crap to me

i've found this teaser

http://pl.youtube.com/wat...MDov6osw&fmt=18

I'm late to the party on this one but Radek, you did a fantastic job! I hope you do the whole album. It would be amazing to hear! :bravo:

Rubberlips - Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 am

Kanta wrote:
Not today as it is 1 April. Wait for tomorrow, there is more of a chance. :fine:

Okay. time for the big reveal. It was, of course, an April Fool. Not that any of you were fooled in the slightest!

The facts:

1) This is two pictures. The first (main picture) is a picture I took of Jarre at the Royal Albert Hall. It's mentioned in a discussion thread somewhere.

2) The Music For Supermarkets image is lifted from the original Auction program which was posted on here not too long ago. It's the only picture I know of where the album had been signed off by Jarre - so the signature was real! !

3) The album proportions are off slightly but not much... it's actually slightly bigger then a regular 12" sleeve. The original photograph had a white Oxygene Drager album in the shot. I just stuck the 'Supermarkets' album over the top using Photoshop.

4) The original super impose looked a bit obvious so I added a lens flare effect to distort the light and make it look a little more natural!

Well Done everyone!

Jakob BC - Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:45 am

Well at least it was a new one, and not the "Music For Supermarkets will be re-released as a massproduction on CD" :wink:
Petr - Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 am

At free http://listen.grooveshark.com/ there is officially added Music for Supermarkets album. If you ask for Jarre┬┤s music, this radio recording version is there... It is nice ...
Kanta - Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:28 am

Indeed, it is very nice. Thanxs for that, Petr. 8)
teddynash - Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 pm

-

teddynash :twisted:

Kanta - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 pm

teddynash wrote:

When and where was that photo taken from, please? Looks like the real thing. :robertdugenou:

teddynash - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Thank you ebay ! :twisted:

NO, just kidding... Its an illusion... :wink:

Kanta - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm

teddynash wrote:
Thank you ebay ! :twisted:

NO, just kidding... Its an illusion... :wink:

It's a real darn good one. :nod:

teddynash - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm

The real record for that photo was the "Mirage" Cover from Klaus Schulze !
Its white too and gives a good illusion. 8)

teddynash

Jon - Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 pm

It's not until you take a real good look that you can see it's fake. The lettering at the top does not follow the correct line of the top of the album cover sleeve. Good recreation though.
Kanta - Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Still, a neat replica at first glance. Who did the cover first, JMJ or Klaus Schulze, out of interest?
Stereomatic - Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 pm

There is also Jarre┬┤s signature in the "Certificat D┬┤Authenticite" field missing. But an good illusion indeed!
teddynash - Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Originalphoto:

One of my favorit albums of KS.

teddynash

jeanbatman - Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:39 pm

teddynash wrote:
-

In this arrangement, the title of the album seemed a little too bent over the contour of the object ... Having said that at first it was rather convincing!

LaDefense - Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:54 am

Maybe you have read this before in the other thread about MFS: Dr_Jones has detected now a picture of the official MFS record label on the website of Patrick Pelamourgue. And now we know the official number of tracks on it: 7!!! You know, the bootleg is divided in 8 tracks. Look here:
MFS Link

Dr_Jones - Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 am

Let me post it here too, it's more appropriate

Goudeskitchen - Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm

This poses a dilemma now, as I thought I had the divisions for MFS sorted, but now there's only 7, I must have the first parts divided up wrong! Unless, there's an Overture and then Parts 1-4?

But if not, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what the divisions of the first side are now?

tinmachine - Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Goudeskitchen wrote:
This poses a dilemma now, as I thought I had the divisions for MFS sorted, but now there's only 7, I must have the first parts divided up wrong! Unless, there's an Overture and then Parts 1-4?

But if not, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what the divisions of the first side are now?

I think an early 90's edition of Conductor of the Masses (in their black and white days) had an in-depth article about Music for Supermarkets, and if I recall correctly (the magazine is probably in my parent's attic, somewhere!), they listed the track list as beginning with Music For Supermarkets Overture.

However, everything I've read about the album since has it beginning with Music For Supermarkets Part 1.

Hope that may shed some light on it.

Robi - Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Selling the album and destroying the master tapes

La Cage - Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm

shadow - Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 am

Destruction of a master tape...

My heart...

I can't take it...

Kanta - Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Rare and valuable Vinyl Records
Jean Michel Jarre
Musique pour supermarchÚ (1983)
Near Mint Value: $5,000 - $20,000
Source: Vinyl Fetish

AERO62 - Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 pm

where did you find this picture? :shock:
shadow - Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

It's a twitter post (don't have the link right now), but the picture is not real. Seems rather photoshopped and even if it was real, why would the single copy of it appear out of nowhere, after decades of being missing, on Twitter of all places.
Kanta - Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am

AERO62 wrote:
where did you find this picture? :shock:

https://twitter.com/WagTheWall/status/877575546871308289

Jote - Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 am

shadow wrote:
why would the single copy of it appear out of nowhere, after decades of being missing, on Twitter of all places.

For the sake of argument: Why not? How would you envision learning about it after being found by someone after decades of being missing? Social media would be the first outlet for this to surface.

Finaero - Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Seems to be another edit in the vein of these two:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSonpOjlNVz/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQOIRbXBOTC/

They forgot to add the reflection on the "MFS" one, though. ;)

Kanta - Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:36 am

Jean Michel Jarre Ś Music for supermarkets. Story behind one-copy album

Source: https://medium.com/12edit/jean-michel-jarre-music-for-supermarkets-story-behind-one-copy-album-52df10c5d653

AERO62 - Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 am

Kanta, I think it's pointless resurrecting the thread unless some new info/evidence/recording comes up.
jeanbatman - Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 am

Well, the article is well made!
Velodynamic - Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 am

According to the article the master tapes were not burned. ;)
AERO62 - Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 am

I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album. The one made by Radek is a bit off, some of the sounds don't completely match.
Jote - Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

AERO62 wrote:
I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album.

Well, it's very hard to replicate something that the only copy is in such a poor quality:
1. no low and high frequencies
2. one channel only

A lot of guess work/artistic license is required.

AERO62 - Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

Jote wrote:
AERO62 wrote:
I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album.

Well, it's very hard to replicate something that the only copy is in such a poor quality:
1. no low and high frequencies
2. one channel only

A lot of guess work/artistic license is required.

Not if you could find the person at Radio Luxemburg who played the record and heard the stereo effects himself :twisted: The other half you can base off of Zoolook and Rendez vous tracks.

shadow - Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 am

If you asked me how the panning on Oxygene was done I couldn't save my life by accurately describing it, and that's considering I've heard it over hundred times in the past few years. You think someone can still remember after nearly 35 years?

I'm still surprised that the person who owns it is unknown. From what I can understand the first and second resell is documented and known, but after that the tracking of the record/owner stopped and is now unknown/lost. A brand new digital rip would be amazing (or at least as good as can be for a single unique record that's 34 year old), the record would still keep the original value due to it being a literal one of a kind, but it would really great to hear it in the best possible quality. It would lose the mystical part that it has had over all these years, but I'd honestly take that.

AERO62 - Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:18 pm

shadow wrote:
If you asked me how the panning on Oxygene was done I couldn't save my life by accurately describing it, and that's considering I've heard it over hundred times in the past few years. You think someone can still remember after nearly 35 years?

I'm still surprised that the person who owns it is unknown. From what I can understand the first and second resell is documented and known, but after that the tracking of the record/owner stopped and is now unknown/lost. A brand new digital rip would be amazing (or at least as good as can be for a single unique record that's 34 year old), the record would still keep the original value due to it being a literal one of a kind, but it would really great to hear it in the best possible quality. It would lose the mystical part that it has had over all these years, but I'd honestly take that.

I was wondering though, if sharing copyrighted material is a violation and the record is the only one existing, it would be beyond easy to track the person who shares it... And in theory, that person could be charged with piracy, no?

shadow - Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:11 pm

On the one hand yes, on the other... Supposedly no one knows where it is at the moment so there's that. That and I honestly doubt Jarre would care about it being shared. The public airing of it was introduced with: "Piratez moi!."
Dr_Jones - Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Today, it's been 35 years since the album was released. Listening to it now, it's a fascinating album.
shadow - Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm

For a moment I hoped the bumb would result into something positive... You monster! :nod:
Dr_Jones - Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm sorry. I wished there was something to say about it, but alas.