BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Albums & Other Releases - The Concerts in China

Enrique_Grove - Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 pm
Post subject: The Concerts in China
Hello Friends I need help

This morning I was listening to The Peking (Radio Broadcast) 1981 when Jarre playing beatiful versions of Oxygene I & II, Equinoxe 8, Fishing Junks at Sunset, Magnetic Fields 1, Magnetic Fields 2 with his team Live! and I was wondering if how many recordings exist of this China Concert's? some rare stuff in yours hard Drives something?, maybe upload some beatiful rare song from this shows... my second question ¿what is a set list of this concerts?

thank's for your help! :)

Enrique.

Jakob BC - Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 pm

According to magneticfields.dk that tracklist you mentioned was the whole tracklist from the first concert, and then it was:

1. Overture
2. Arpegiator
3. Equinoxe 4
4. Fishing Junks at Sunset
5. Band in the Rain
6. Equinoxe 7
7. Orient Express
8. Magnetic Fields 1
9. Magnetic Fields 3
10. Magnetic Fields 4
11. Laser Harp
12. Night in Shanghai
13. The Last Rumba
14. Magnetic Fields 2
15. Souvenir of China

So far I haven't heard about other recordings, so I doubt there is much of it out there.

GeeJee - Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:46 am

I wish there was more of it... :(
Jakob BC - Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 am

Yes and especially from that expanded tracklist. I'd like to hear what those track really sounded like before its trip through the studio, but also to hear what differences there might have been when it comes to the many solos.
AnDrOiD - Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am

From the radio broadcast we know that it sounded kinda crap before a run through the studio. :punch:
Finaero - Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Jakob BC wrote:
According to magneticfields.dk that tracklist you mentioned was the whole tracklist from the first concert, and then it was:

1. Overture
2. Arpegiator
3. Equinoxe 4
4. Fishing Junks at Sunset
5. Band in the Rain
6. Equinoxe 7
7. Orient Express
8. Magnetic Fields 1
9. Magnetic Fields 3
10. Magnetic Fields 4
11. Laser Harp
12. Night in Shanghai
13. The Last Rumba
14. Magnetic Fields 2
15. Souvenir of China

So far I haven't heard about other recordings, so I doubt there is much of it out there.

I've always doubted that tracklisting's authenticity because it's identical (IIRC) to the album tracklisting and quite a few Jarre live recordings (of audio or video kind) retain the original tracklisting... ... and if that's not a proper reason, well, Souvenir of China was composed after the tour so it couldn't have been played there :P

Also, I really wonder why people bash the first China concert so much. Sure the instruments sound somewhat weak (except for the drums) but there's actually live playing and the tracks aren't even played badly live at that. But I guess most people are closet elitists after all :p:

Pat1982 - Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:35 pm

The concerts had 2 different setlists for Beijing and Shanghai.
There is no solid source that shows the definitive tracklist, this mini-tour has become a bit 'lost' in time.
There is the official 2-CD/LP, official 1989 VHS, and the Dutch radio broadcast from Bejing's 1st concert.
However there is also an 1982 ATV (ITC) VHS, and a 1981 Japanese tv-broadcast (NHK Young Music Show).
It is possible that the Beijing radio broadcast is incomplete, as there is quite a difference in setlength.
Also, I cannot imagine that Oxygene 4 wasn't played, as it definitely was aired on the Chinese radio (heard on the album as a snippet).
I am of the opinion that Arpegiator and Souvenir Of China are studiotracks from '82, and were not played at the actual concert in '81. Also Orient Express was re-recorded.

Beijng:

Oxygene 1
Oxygene 2
<fade out>
Band In The Rain
Equinoxe 8
<fade out>
Fishing Junks at Sunset
Magnetic Fields 1
Magnetic Fields 2

Shanghai:

The Overture
Equinoxe 4
Equinoxe 5
Equinoxe 7
Magnetic Fields 3
Magnetic Fields 4
Laser Harp
Night In Shanghai
The Last Rumba
Orient Express
Magnetic Fields 2

Jakob BC - Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:31 pm

How sure are you about Equinoxe 5? As I remember it was featured on the VHS, but recorded in a studio as some add-on to the video. Argh damn! I wished there were some more clear information about it.
Pat1982 - Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 am

Jakob BC wrote:
How sure are you about Equinoxe 5? As I remember it was featured on the VHS, but recorded in a studio as some add-on to the video. Argh damn! I wished there were some more clear information about it.

On the VHS you can see the silent comedy "Broken China" (1926) with Bobby Vernon being played during Equinoxe 5.
But for at the end you can see Jarre playing his keyboard, it really looks like he is playing the same notes of the main melody.

Are you sure this was recorded afterwards in a studio? what's the source of this?
It has the same visual style like the rest concert or not? :shock:
I think I'll watch it again this weekend! :o

Jakob BC - Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:08 am

Nah maybe you are right, I remember something different, but after watching it again, it doesn't look different from the other tracks, so I'll just take it back to "I don't know". You also see Perrier play the lead. I thought I had a better point, but after watching it again there is nothing.
AERO62 - Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

Pat1982 wrote:
However there is also an 1982 ATV (ITC) VHS, and a 1981 Japanese tv-broadcast (NHK Young Music Show).

Do you have these VHS ?

jeanbatman - Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Jakob BC wrote:
(...)
8. Magnetic Fields 1
(...)

Was there the full version of that song ?

Aneka65 - Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 am

This concert Album by issued FD and Jean, it pleases me from start very also to the end. From stay on concerts to one commemorative Beijing composed selected work JMJ Shanghai. But return to China was from this Album in 1982 year on letters of -lists-hits-success- in Poland final work number repeatable fine not one 1. Repeatable work menancholia, case-together-time to this Album not :sad: 8) .
radek tymecki - Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 pm

jeanbatman wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:
(...)
8. Magnetic Fields 1
(...)

Was there the full version of that song ?

No. Probably it was mistake

Finaero - Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, I'm sure the 6 minutes you can hear on the bootleg was just D. Perrier forgetting his electric razor on.
Pat Gleeson - Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am

Does anyone know the tracklist for the Chinese 1 LP pressing of the Concerts in China ?

There was some information regarding this release on fanzines in the early 90's, and more with a photo here :

http://alnr.chez-alice.fr...biojarreuk.html (Scroll down 2/3rd's the page)

While we're all thinking about that, does anyone know someone at China's CCTV who has a TV recording of any of the China Concerts :D

Now there's a DVD extra if I ever saw one :smoke:

Jon - Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:52 am

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Does anyone know the tracklist for the Chinese 1 LP pressing of the Concerts in China ?

There was some information regarding this release on fanzines in the early 90's, and more with a photo here :

http://alnr.chez-alice.fr...biojarreuk.html (Scroll down 2/3rd's the page)

While we're all thinking about that, does anyone know someone at China's CCTV who has a TV recording of any of the China Concerts :D

Now there's a DVD extra if I ever saw one :smoke:

This has been brought up a few times in the past. Nothing come up on the "search"?

matt222 - Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm

If you watch the video footage of Equinoxe 5, Jarre is seen flitting from one keyboard to another playing the main melody ( as is Perrier ) and then the bass line - only when his fingers play in time to the bassline, he hits 2 notes together. The bass is a mono line. Not real playing there. Anyway, what happens when he stops playing the bassline and shoots over to play the main melody again - in reality it doesn't ring true at all just like when he played those enormous magic keyboards - swapping from one sound to another.ALL SHOW.

An understanding of the scores for these pieces is an insight into how much miming Jarre does.

The China concert performances where claimed to be entirely live and I believe they were - just listen to how Equinoxe 4 differs from the album version. Reason being, no way he could re-create it perfectly on stage live - too many random noise manipulations to replicate. Equinoxe 5 on the vhs is just the original vinyl recording I believe put in when the video was edited.

Jakob BC - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm

The miming subject is old news and yes CiC was live. For the CIC album release, JMJ did some studio editing on some of the tracks.
Finaero - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Oh my god, JMJ has mimed? :shock: :P

Anyhow, I'm still wondering who was the genius who seriously named 20 seconds of ping pong or whatever as Les Chants Magnetiques I instead of including that stuff at the end of the track that came before it (Orient Express, mmmaybe?).

I guess it was effective enough for one TV broadcast of PLD to actually subtitle the ping pong ball sounds in the beginning of PLD's Souvenir of China "Magnetic Fields 1", only to change to "Souvenir of China" not that long afterwards. :p:

(Then again, the same broadcast actually called the intro to MF2 "Diva"... weird stuff)

tinmachine - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 pm

Yes, I felt a bit disappointed back in 1989 when I bought the double CD release of Concerts In China, to think how much of a rip-off Magnetic Fields 1 was - 21 seconds of ping pong sounds to serve as an intro to Magnetic Fields 3. And then to find out Band In The Rain was Equinoxe 8 and Last Rumba was Magnetic Fields 5!

Not a bad album, but sometimes I wish he'd have just done a studio album of the new tracks.

By the way, hadn't heard about he Diva caption for PLD MF2, but I have always thought the introduction sounded very Diva-like! As I've said in other posts, the new versions of tracks played at PLD were outstanding, and was the one concert that really deserved an album release!

Finaero - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah I think JMJ even used some Diva samples but definitely some Laurie Anderson leftover materials.

Also, the radio broadcast of the first concert is also a bit mysterious... with all the "NOBODY CLAPPED" stories and yet you can still hear applause every now and then (albeit not really during the songs themselves) even though they might be a bit refined... and after MF2 the audience noises go somewhat more audible and the Chinese announceress says something and then that random music that plays after Equinoxe 7 on the album plays... so I guess it wasn't a direct broadcast anyhow.

moviemaker - Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:33 am

Live or edited... The Concerts In China album is f^*king brilliant!

Quintessential Jarre and an album that never grows old.

End of discussion.

AnDrOiD - Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:39 pm

All live albums are processed in a studio.
Jakob BC - Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

AnDrOiD wrote:

Depends on what you mean. In this case other instruments were added, besides the studio tracks.

AnDrOiD - Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Jakob BC wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:

Depends on what you mean. In this case other instruments were added, besides the studio tracks.

I mean all kind of processing, including adding sounds. An official live album is never just released as recorded at the event.

Jon - Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Finaero wrote:
Oh my god, JMJ has mimed? :shock: :P

I know, came as a shock to me aswell :mrgreen:

Finaero - Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:51 pm

AnDrOiD wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:

I mean all kind of processing, including adding sounds. An official live album is never just released as recorded at the event.

Wow, Captain Obvious :p: , everything that has ever been published has gone through processing in one way or the other. If you want straight recordings, you should watch/read/listen to/eat bootlegs :P

AnDrOiD - Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm just saying cos not all people seem to be aware of this. :roll:

Some albums are even just played live in a studio with added audience noise. Whether this is the case with CiC, or not, shall remain unknown. :P :pwned:

Listening to the raw live recordings, I'd say there's a pretty big chance that that is the case. :punch:

Finaero - Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 pm

... which was from the first gig that had noticeably less power and a different audience. Or maybe JMJ hired a bunch of French-Chinese to look happy for the concert video as well? :punch:
Jakob BC - Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:10 pm

So mister Andro, you are saying that it's the same with 'Cities in concert', 'Jarre Live' and 'Hong Kong'?? :P
This leads back to the question about why there is a recording made by a spectator from the CHina concert 2004, where you can hear a note from the synthex laser harpe sound in FJAS. It's not on the official releases after all, but that was also pretty much edited.

GeeJee - Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:49 am

Perhaps that was added in the studio by JMJ to make it sound live. :P
Analog-Umph - Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:41 am

Finaero wrote:
... which was from the first gig that had noticeably less power and a different audience. Or maybe JMJ hired a bunch of French-Chinese to look happy for the concert video as well? :punch:

I believe he hired the entire country to look happy for him, he said it himself, tickets were very, very, very cheap in those days. :punch: :p:

Kanta - Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Oh boy, you have just shattered by illusions that they were really his fans and were so overjoyed in seeing/listening to something that had never happened in China. :p: :punch:
Analog-Umph - Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:39 pm

Well you know what they say, the truth always lies somewhere in the middle :smoke: :twisted: :P
Kanta - Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm

The happiness on those Chinese people's faces looked so real. :p:
Analog-Umph - Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Kanta wrote:

I bet, the smell of money after all those Mao years. :fine:

You do know that I'm kidding right? :jump:

jarrekid - Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:59 pm

moviemaker wrote:
Live or edited... The Concerts In China album is f^*king brilliant! Quintessential Jarre and an album that never grows old. End of discussion.

Seconded.

Analog-Umph - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Ya, thirded.

The first 3 tracks are pure kool. Equinoxe 4 CiC is a marvel, managing to combine the spacyness of the Oxygene album and the electronic-ness of Equinoxe into a tour-de-force of a track.
Still my top EM track of all time.

Kanta - Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Analog-Umph wrote:
Kanta wrote:

I bet, the smell of money after all those Mao years. :fine:

You do know that I'm kidding right? :jump:

Kinda of. :smoke:

AnDrOiD - Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Perhaps Jarre never really went to China, it was all just filmed in a studio in Paris. A bit like the US never went to the moon? :punch: :p:
Kanta - Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Then, they must all be French fans in disguise. :punch:
Jakob BC - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Yeah those pics of JMJ and Charlotte in front of the forbidden city were fake, even the little boy who started crying during that photosession... FAKE and simply a bunch of characters in a studio using the same backgroundpicture technic as in old car-scenes :wink:
Analog-Umph - Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 am

AnDrOiD wrote:
Perhaps Jarre never really went to China, it was all just filmed in a studio :punch: :p:

Are you saying Industrial Light+Magic are involved?

Then again I would put anything past George Lucas.... :twisted: :p: <notice the 4 full stops at the end>

GeeJee - Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Analog-Umph wrote:
Finaero wrote:

I believe he hired the entire country to look happy for him, he said it himself, tickets were very, very, very cheap in those days. :punch: :p:

Perhaps Chinese government hired you to say that. :pwned:

Analog-Umph - Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am

GeeJee wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:
Finaero wrote:

Perhaps Chinese government hired you to say that. :pwned:

Impossible, I own the Chinese government. :twisted:

moviemaker - Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Probably already posted here before but another announcement regarding Concerts In China DVD being released by ezydvd in Australia:

Jean-Michel Jarre - The Concerts In China (802599)
Coming Soon! Pre-Order Now - Available Monday, 12 January 2009

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/...dvdplaza.com.au

I'm assuming this is the video just transferred to DVD. Maybe you could confirm for us analog-umph?

...and on that note, since Jare probably won't ever come to the states, if anyone knows where I could get an, errr... mmm... hold of a DVD of Jarre's latest Oxygene Tour 2008 please PM me so I can at least partake in the discussions regarding the tour and of course enjoy a little analogue jarre, even if I can't be there in person.

Jakob BC - Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Im quite sure a DVD of the recent Oxygene tour doesn't excist. otherwise I have missed something :wink:
moviemaker - Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Jakob BC wrote:
Im quite sure a DVD of the recent Oxygene tour doesn't excist. otherwise I have missed something :wink:

Didn't read between the lines my friend... the um, err meant: UNofficial DVD... :P

Kanta - Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:49 pm

moviemaker wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:

Didn't read between the lines my friend... the um, err meant: UNofficial DVD... :P

A very good unofficial x 3 DVD set is available for the Oxygene Théâtre Marigny concerts. PM me if you want to know more. :wink2:

Jakob BC - Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:48 pm

moviemaker wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:

I see :wink:

Analog-Umph - Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 am

moviemaker wrote:
Probably already posted here before but another announcement regarding Concerts In China DVD being released by ezydvd in Australia:

I'm assuming this is the video just transferred to DVD. Maybe you could confirm for us analog-umph?

On it! 8)

Finaero - Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Received the new DVD today... it's in a standard DVD case and doesn't look that special. The menu looks neat (better than the Moscow DVD) but it only has 3 chapters... so yeah, the video is just split to 3 parts and they call those "chapters". Suspecting that some Australian TV broadcast has probably used the same division so they just put it on the DVD as well.

As for the picture quality, well, it's pretty standard fare as well. It's definitely better than all the fanmade VHS->DVD transfers but makes one still hope for a proper remastering of the video (and audio, probably) someday. When viewed on my PC it had some odd artifacts on top of the screen but they were missing when I checked it on my TV. There was still some random box with some interference on the upper right corner around the end credits.

NO new footage probably... in MF2 there were some shots I didn't remember seeing ever but I haven't watched the concert video in ages so I might have just forgotten them. So in any case, the concert video is still nice but has way too much non-concert filler footage. Anyway, it's a nice addition to the collection if you can get it for like 11 euros or so like I did.

Jakob BC - Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 pm

I don't know why but I didn't see this before now, but indeed cool as long as it's official, or whatever such a release is called :P
GeeJee - Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info - I don't have a VCR, so anything professionally transferred to DVD sounds good to me. 8)
Pat Gleeson - Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 am

My copy should be with me in a week or so.
Kanta - Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 am

I pre-ordered my copy from eBay. So should be with me sometime in April, I hope. :p:
Beelooo - Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 pm

moviemaker wrote:

Hmmm i rather like my original VHS of Concert in China !! ^^^ :nod:

jp8000 - Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm

I should order the dvd, but will do that later
Dr_Jones - Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:31 pm

The DVD is in, region 1-8, so everyone can play it.
Kanta - Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 pm

That is correct and the description on eBay was region 0. :fine:
Pat Gleeson - Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Kanta - and everyone ! :D

I received the DVD today from here - very good service - recommended:

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/

First thoughts: Video very good, at least compared to the original VHS release. There has been some cleaning up of the image rather than a full restoration, but a big improvement.
Now here's the thing: the above statement is all the more surprising as it's obvoius at the end of the film that it has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast!
At the end there is a promo from an Australian continuity annoncer about the availability of a double album of the Concerts in China. :D

The audio is disappointing - the original mono track is still very flat, with little improvemnent in the dynamic rage or placement - average at best - but better than the VHS.

The menus are quite nice - the film has been split into three parts (chapters): The Setup / Beijing, Equinoxe 5, and Shanghai. I'm not sure why the tracks weren't used as chapter points.

The original English titles are reinstated for this release, rather than the French ones used in the VHS.

See below for screengrabs:

http://www.flickr.com/pho...57615376294738/

All in all a worthwhile release, and well worth upgrading from your worn out VHS or DVD rip. :D

jarrekid - Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
the film has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast!

Pat Gleeson wrote:
The menus are quite nice - the film has been split into three parts (chapters): The Setup / Beijing, Equinoxe 5, and Shanghai. I'm not sure why the tracks weren't used as chapter points.

:idea: That explains it then - The video was broadcast on Australian TV. The edit for TV has been used for the DVD release. Therefore, the DVD takes the three parts that were shown on TV. I'm guessing that they're all of similar length? It explains why each part begins with a title frame saying "Part 1" etc. to show after the ad break.

Pat Gleeson - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:24 pm

jarrekid wrote:

:idea: That explains it then - The video was broadcast on Australian TV. The edit for TV has been used for the DVD release. Therefore, the DVD takes the three parts that were shown on TV. I'm guessing that they're all of similar length? It explains why each part begins with a title frame saying "Part 1" etc. to show after the ad break.

That's exactly it - I hadn't thought of that until now. :D
I must say it's unusual indeed that a direct transfer from a TV archive - break bumpers promos etc. and all - is on an official release.

Kanta - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Hi Kanta - and everyone ! :D

I received the DVD today from here - very good service - recommended:

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/

First thoughts: Video very good, at least compared to the original VHS release. There has been some cleaning up of the image rather than a full restoration, but a big improvement.
Now here's the thing: the above statement is all the more surprising as it's obvoius at the end of the film that it has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast!
At the end there is a promo from an Australian continuity annoncer about the availability of a double album of the Concerts in China. :D

The audio is disappointing - the original mono track is still very flat, with little improvemnent in the dynamic rage or placement - average at best - but better than the VHS.

The original English titles are reinstated for this release, rather than the French ones used in the VHS.

See below for screengrabs:

http://www.flickr.com/pho...57615376294738/

All in all a worthwhile release, and well worth upgrading from your worn out VHS or DVD rip. :D

Hi Pat. :D Thanxs a lot for your review. A very good read. 8) I am still excited to receive my copy which was shipped out last week. So should not have long to wait.

Pat Gleeson - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Kanta wrote:
Hi Pat. :D Thanxs a lot for your review. A very good read. 8) I am still excited to receive my copy which was shipped out last week. So should not have long to wait.

Ta failte romhat :D

Seeing as it's St. Patricks Day tomorrow, I thought I'd reply in Irish: it means you're welcome. :D

BTW it's worth the wait, I watched it again just now.

Kanta - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 pm

That does not surprise me. These sort of DVDs don't come by very often. 8)

Happy St. Patrick's Day for tomorrow. :D

Pat Gleeson - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Kanta wrote:
That does not surprise me. These sort of DVDs don't come by very often. 8)

Happy St. Patrick's Day for tomorrow. :D

Thanks - and here's a coincidence - the release date for the original VHS ?
17th March 1991 :D

Kanta - Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:58 pm

:shock: , that is so bizarre. 8) Or should that be bejarre? :punch:
Pat Gleeson - Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Here's something else - hold onto your hats - there is an extra 1 minutes worth of footage of Magnetic Fields 1 that is most definitely not on the VHS - I checked (twice).

It shows extended footage of the last minute of the track and is superb. A reason alone to get this disc ! :D The track is still shorter than the Radio Broadcast version, but a nice edition.

It proves that there must be unreleased footage out there somewhere, or at least slightly different edits of the film for different TV markets.

Finaero - Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:40 am

Ooh, I was thinking there was some extra footage somewhere but I thought that was in MF2.

Good to know about that, though! :pwned:

Analog-Umph - Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Here's something else - hold onto your hats - there is an extra 1 minutes worth of footage of Magnetic Fields 1 that is most definitely not on the VHS - I checked (twice).

It shows extended footage of the last minute of the track and is superb. A reason alone to get this disc ! :D

Geez I didn't know ezy-dvd had representatives all the way in Ireland. :punch:

Pat Gleeson - Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Analog-Umph wrote:

Geez I didn't know ezy-dvd had representatives all the way in Ireland. :punch:

:nod:

I got it from Mighty Ape, and I was delighted to see footage I hadn't before :D

fklee - Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 pm

I get my copy too very quickly and with a very good service from Australia.

from devoteddvd.

Nice just not time to look at it. :wink:

Kanta - Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am

I ordered a copy from devoteddvd via eBay. The estimated arrival in my hands should be 26 March 2009. :clap: :punch:
Phil J. - Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I think I must be losing the urge as I've no real interest in this DVD (I usually buy one of something if only for my collection).
Kanta - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:37 pm

It could be cause JMJ has no influence on this DVD release. :?
Pat Gleeson - Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Kanta wrote:
It could be cause JMJ has no influence on this DVD release. :?

Spot on Kanta - Dreyfus have little or no involvement either:

Quote from Robbie on SoF forum:

Reaction of Dreyfus Records

"Thank you for alerting me on the availability of the China Concerts DVD last week.
The cover artwork is indeed the same as the original vinyl album, CD and VHS.
After investigation, it appears that some copies of the DVD were sold in Australia during a very limited period in December 2008 despite the ban but this violation has been denounced and the distribution stopped.
I confirm that only Disques Dreyfus /Jean Michel Jarre, co-producers of the concert, have the rights to DVD exploitation.
The DVD release of this programme has not been planned so far but the Dreyfus and Jarre staffs are now considering it .

Saludos.
Danièle"

http://jarreforum.com/t1909-2/#post20279

Finaero - Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 pm

If Dreyfus had nothing to do with it either, then some of us have a collector's gem in our hands :pwned:
Kanta - Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 pm

That makes me feel a lot better. :nod: But some money should go to JMJ. :?
Velodynamic - Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Is it legal or are somebody challenges the laws here? :roll:

Yes or no would be fine, thx. :)

AnDrOiD - Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:31 pm

I would like to know, as well, whether the police should be involved or not. :punch:
Kanta - Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm

There is no need for any of that. :no: We are all innocent apart from being JMJ fans. :peacemaan: :p:
Dr_Jones - Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Well, I can confirm the DVDs are not available anymore. I have to disappoint some friends of mine.
Kanta - Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Keep an eye on eBay. That is where I got my copy from and it was for a good price, as well. :P
jp8000 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Too bad, that I missed it by moving the purchase to the later times..

but I'm happy that I have the VHS, and the VCR, where to play it.

Finaero - Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:40 pm

ooh, collectour's item!
GeeJee - Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm

:pwned: What da font is going on with those obscure semi-official dvd releases? :nico:
fklee - Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Don't know what's going on ! :?:
But I'am so happy to received my copy.
Does someone know something new from Dreyfus ?
I look at my copy today and saw at the end a quickly ©General & ©Dreyfus !

Kanta - Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Is Dreypratt getting any royalties for this DVD? :?
Pat1982 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 pm

I my opinion it happend as follows:

Remember that Dreyfus wanted to release the Houston DVD in Oktober 2008?
Long before this there was already a rumor that the China disk would also be released on DVD (both as 'pilots', to see if they would sell well: "the concerts in China are in the pipeline. The decision will be taken depending on the success of DVD in Houston.")

Somehow they decided to release the China DVD first in region 4 (Australia / New-Zealand), and was scheduled to be released on November 1st 2008.
But then Jarre and his legal team popped up, and as co-owner of the copyright he did not allow both of these releases.
The statement from Aero Productions was: "it is important to underline that Jean Michel Jarre was not consulted or informed of the release by Francis Dreyfus Music, this in itself is sufficient to oppose it. "
and the FDM press quote: ""We had to hold this release for contractual reasons but do hope this issue will soon be solved."

I checked the site from easydvd.au and October it still stated "available for pre-order", them in november "currently unavailable or out of stock", and in december "this title has been discontinued and is no longer available."
Yet in January, suddenly it stated "scheduled for release on January 12", and indeed it WAS on sale for 3 or 4 weeks.
Now it states: "Distribution Delay - Awaiting Stock, This title has been released; however, we are awaiting receipt of stock to fulfil orders.", see http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802599

Ofcourse this stock will never arrive anymore, see this press message from Dreyfus:
"I confirm that only Disques Dreyfus /Jean Michel Jarre, co-producers of the concert, have the rights to DVD exploitation.
After investigation, it appears that some copies of the DVD were sold in Australia during a very limited period despite a ban but this violation has been denounced and the distribution stopped.
"

So Shock Records had pressed or bought a large supplies of disks and did not want to loose any money on it, and decided to sell it anyways, despite a ban from Dreyfus?
Poor JMJ was perhaps not even aware of this scheme behind his back..

GeeJee - Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 am

Kanta wrote:

afraid so...

melo - Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 am

You can see some pictures from the DVD AUSTRALIAN, here in this brazillian site :

http://www.jarrefan.com.br/?p=807

Renato Mundt (the writer of unofficial biography) got a DVD from Australia.

Kanta - Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 am

GeeJee wrote:
Kanta wrote:

afraid so...

The sacrifice I make against my principals. :|

Velodynamic - Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 am

Yes how COULD YOU! :punch: :nod:

Nah I understand it's very important items, but selling DVD's with old material "on the sly" behind backs to just a few people is just ridiculous imho. :pwned:

Kanta - Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:04 am

There is a saying, "If you have not got it, you want it. Or, if you have got it, you don't want it." :fine:
Velodynamic - Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Or "You haven't got it but you don't have enough time on your hands to even bother." :fine:
Kanta - Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:35 pm

But even though I have got it and I might not want it, I won't sell it. :punch:
Velodynamic - Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Kanta wrote:
But even though I have got it and I might not want it, I won't sell it. :punch:

:o Not even for a centillion bucks? :P

Kanta - Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm

:no: , not today. But might change my mind tomorrow. :punch:
fklee - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Yes, this a really big problem now with this DVD, don't know how much copie where sold, on ebay, when I get mine, there where 5 on stock, and mine was number 1 on 5, don't know why. Anyway, I think I will keep it as
"a good DVD copy of a good VHS..." It is evident that this dvd, is nothing else than a poor DVD copy of a TV braodcast.

I compared the red color, beetween my CD, LP and DVD, the red color is not the same ! Uncredible...

1906 - Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5qrTz4tKPw

fast forward to : 2'30"

Jarre4422 - Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 pm

1906 wrote:
Check this video:

What a cheesy song, nonetheless is catchy, specially on the Souvenir of China samples! :o :mrgreen:

Kanta - Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 am

Chinese Kraftwerk. :nod:
Christophe - Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:02 am

Kanta wrote:
Chinese Kraftwerk. :nod:

No "Confetti's" from Belgium! Ooh, nooo, in Hong Kong! :mrgreen: :wink:

Greetzzz...

AnDrOiD - Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:28 am

1906 wrote:
Check this video:

It already starts at 1:41. :P

moviemaker - Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 am

1906 wrote:
Check this video:

Hilarious! :nod:

Finaero - Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm

That's certainly something :P
AnDrOiD - Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 pm

I actually got that track somewhere on a CD. :punch:
Beelooo - Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:19 am

OMG !!!! I's Definitly awesome !!!!! The guy looks like Mr Bison in Street Fighters !!
Dr_Jones - Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a Concerts in China CD from a shop here in Spain. It has an unusual cover, but it looks like the regular 1997 remaster release:

What is this release?

Dv_ - Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:43 am

Hmmm... the word "conecerts" written on the left side led me to think it's a bootleg...
Dr_Jones - Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:51 am

Dv_ wrote:
Hmmm... the word "conecerts" written on the left side led me to think it's a bootleg...

Well spotted! It looks very convincing. The CD looks perfect (complete with matrix number, I have to compare it when I'm home), the booklet too. I totally missed the conecerts text :)

Pat1982 - Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:27 am

Jakob BC wrote:

Pat1982 wrote:
On the VHS you can see the silent comedy "Broken China" (1926) with Bobby Vernon being played during Equinoxe 5.
But for at the end you can see Jarre playing his keyboard, it really looks like he is playing the same notes of the main melody.

Jakob BC wrote:
Nah maybe you are right, I remember something different, but after watching it again, it doesn't look different from the other tracks, so I'll just take it back to "I don't know". You also see Perrier play the lead. I thought I had a better point, but after watching it again there is nothing.

I thought the case was closed, but then I saw this picture again today:

It would be strange for the audience when he would wear that gear during the concert, plus he would have to put it on/off on multiple occasions during the concert, this would ofcourse be impractical.
So.. what I now believe is that some footage (mainly the body-camera footage) was shot before or after the actual concert.

Update: I watched the concert quicky via youtube, and found only on MF2 footage of this body-camera:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DupepVClew#t=0h2m21s
first, he does not wear the device, and a few seconds later during the "hand-clapping" he is suddenly wearing the device.
It could be that the footage was actually from different concerts in Shanghai.

AERO62 - Sun May 21, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm going to ask something I asked 9 years ago.

Quote:

Who's got these copies? I've never seen them being mentioned almost anywhere except this page https://drjones.home.xs4all.nl/discography.txt