BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Jean Michel Jarre - JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)

Dr_Jones - Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:51 pm
Post subject: JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)

2 pages of interview. JMJ talks about new album (this summer he's going to work on it), Australia project linked to the new album, Jelling convinced Jarre to play more on festivals.

Robi - Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Thankx Jones!
I'm fine with all the things can be read in this interview! :)

/You may put on JMJ facebook? Many fans can read it...at least, what we can read in the article. :wink:

Dr_Jones - Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:27 pm

I don't have the magazine (yet), just got this from a friend who lives in Paris.
Kanta - Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Hope there will be scans, please. :D
Starcat - Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 am

That sounds great!!! :D
shadow - Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 am
Post subject: Re: JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)
Dr_Jones wrote:
2 pages of interview. JMJ talks about new album (this summer he's going to work on it), Australia project linked to the new album, Jelling convinced Jarre to play more on festivals.

Great :D

Dr_Jones wrote:

Crap :|

Robi - Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:02 am

What crap???????????

I have also heared about it and I think it sounds great! This would be an amazing Australian project!!!

Starcat - Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:17 am

Well, I think he commented "crap" on Jarre participating on more festivals.
Big time - Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 pm

WARNING!! Do NOT play Oxygene 4 (and stuff like that) to an 2012 festival audience.. Not if you want to stay RELEVANT & be taken SERIOUSLY...

I understand you had to play it 20 years ago, but times has changed (In case you didnīt notice)...

shadow - Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Starcat wrote:

This really... I really would like him to focus fully on the new album, and then give one major concerd, then doing a new album, while still giving concerts every day... I really doubt that will work out good :|

jeanbatman - Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Tell U2 they shouldn't play "Where the streets have no name" anymore...

Or Paul Mc Cartney "Yesterday"...

This was OK 20 years ago... :)

Big time - Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 pm

jeanbatman wrote:

You canīt compare U2 with Jarre, U2 is rock, and if they play "Where the streets have no name" on a big festival/or on their own tour, it will sound big, rocky and modern enough. Why? Well, coīs itīs Rock! If Jarre plays out Oxygene 4 on a big festival, well... It will STILL sound like the track from 76ī being performed in 2012... Did I really have to explain that for you? :D

Robi - Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 pm

shadow wrote:
Starcat wrote:

This really... I really would like him to focus fully on the new album, and then give one major concerd, then doing a new album, while still giving concerts every day... I really doubt that will work out good :|

Opinions.....

new album + one major concert , worked well for Docklands, PLD...

I wonder why a fan would think that a major concert and a new album together would fail. It's mystery.

Robi - Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Big time wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:

You canīt compare U2 with Jarre, U2 is rock, and if they play "Where the streets have no name" on a big festival/or on their own tour, it will sound big, rocky and modern enough. Why? Well, coīs itīs Rock! If Jarre plays out Oxygene 4 on a big festival, well... It will STILL sound like the track from 76ī being performed in 2012... Did I really have to explain that for you? :D

Why would cause shock if people would listen to track of 1976 in 2012?
Beside , anyway, it is more than true that he MUST do concerts with BRAND new tracks, but skipping a hit just because some people think "why a '76 music in 2012".....hmm.... :)

It is merely ridiculous to think for Jarre only in this issue. The majority of musical acts should then forget their initial, breakthrough hits.

Jon - Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Robi wrote:
shadow wrote:
Starcat wrote:

Opinions.....

new album + one major concert , worked well for Docklands, PLD...

I wonder why a fan would think that a major concert and a new album together would fail. It's mystery.

Example - T&T, look what happened to that :wink:

Jon - Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Robi wrote:
Big time wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:

Why would cause shock if people would listen to track of 1976 in 2012?
Beside , anyway, it is more than true that he MUST do concerts with BRAND new tracks, but skipping a hit just because some people think "why a '76 music in 2012".....hmm.... :)

It is merely ridiculous to think for Jarre only in this issue. The majority of musical acts should then forget their initial, breakthrough hits.

I agree with BigTime

Oxy4 is a classic track with a classic cult following. It does not fit into a festival. A festival does not cater for the "older" generation. Festivals are mainly packed out with younger blood whose most likely have never heard of JMJ, but would probably recognise something he has done from other artists who have used his music in their own works. Then the younger gen would assume Jarre was copying those artists. Jarre has to use something more uplifting and kisch/modern that would appeal to festival-go'ers.

If JMJ was to take an approcah like Electronic Night, that could work better. Get todays artists performing and mixing alongside Jarre. Take for example the music fetivals here in the UK. The other weekend we had Glastonbury. One act on stage was 'Pendulum' who did a modern dance version of 'The Eve of the War' from The War of the Worlds album by Jeff Wayne. That was released in 1978 as a orchestral/synth album. Yet mixed up today and with a modern act, it sounds fresh again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6WcILBsPQ

This is just an example, but one I thnk Jarre really does need to follow. It worked in 1998, it can still work. Old style tracks are all very well live in concerts, but festivals work differantly depending on the artist. Acts like U2 and Pet Shop Boys sell themselves at festivals, but it because of the status they have built up. Jarre, although a leader in electronics, is still largely forgotten in todays music.

chronos - Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:42 pm
Post subject: how about this then for festivals then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38S-xAPqARE
tinmachine - Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!!
chronos - Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 pm

tinmachine wrote:
Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!!

Just listening to the denmark AERO concert, am sure that style would work at Glasto. My neigbours are loving it at the moment!

shadow - Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...
chronos - Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 pm

shadow wrote:
Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...

nooooo, not the stuff at the gdansk/china/desert aero....

I find the denmark aero rather punchy and upbeat and very very different to the gigs mentioned above.

Stereomatic - Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 am

Kraftwerk played a lot of festivals in the past. Most of the tracks they performed are from the 70s or 80s.
Ups, they even played Autobahn from 1974! Such an old track for the younger generation??
It worked fantasctic!
If Jarre plays Oxygene 4 or Equinoxe 5 at festivals I think it will work to a younger generation because that music is timeless. And that is the great thing about festivals that you can hear a lot of different artists with different styles. So why not Jarre? Perhaps there are a lot of younger people who will be grateful to know Jarre.

I hope he will NEVER do a DJ-Set in his life!

Kanta - Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 pm

shadow - Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm

We need to knock Jarre out and steal those recordings... Then atleast we can have good transfers, rather then awfull remastering :punch:
Dr_Jones - Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Kanta wrote:

Do you have them in readable format too?

Robi - Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
Kanta wrote:

second on this question

Starcat - Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am

Robi wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
Kanta wrote:

second on this question

Third on this question.

Kanta - Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Starcat wrote:
Robi wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
Kanta wrote:

second on this question

Third on this question.

This is the only size I came across.

Robi - Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm

thanks for the effort. Though it's unreadable, means it's unfortunately nothing.
qube - Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 am

If he's playing a festival with a younger audience that's possibly not familiar with his work then I think he can play any of the tracks he likes but would need specific remixes / versions catered for the event(s) otherwise he'd risk being labelled as cheesy.

A chap in his 60's with dyed hair leaping about bashing cymbals is going to struggle.

Doesn't mean he'll have to do dance remixes or anything like that, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk could do a very sober set and earn massive respect from a younger crowd.

Playing with a full orchestra please, bring back the drummer and bass-player too, and no Mag 2!

Robi - Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 am

qube wrote:
and no Mag 2!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

was waste to mention it...

qube - Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:14 pm

:D seriously though, does anyone like that choone?
Kanta - Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Robi wrote:
thanks for the effort. Though it's unreadable, means it's unfortunately nothing.

Then, size does matter to some. I don't have the magazine. Just came across this size ...

Robi - Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 am

qube wrote:

Obviously not, if you say so, then not....

Jon - Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Robi wrote:
qube wrote:

I like MF2. The current live version with the extended intro is funky :D

tinmachine - Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Jon wrote:
Robi wrote:
qube wrote:

I like MF2. The current live version with the extended intro is funky :D

Definitely, its great, especially with the bouncier bassline too. Would rather have MF1 dropped, or even more-so Oxygene 5-variations dropped. However a performance of the overlooked MF4 is long overdue....

Kanta - Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 pm

MF and Trax magazine, what is the connection? :robertdugenou:
qube - Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Mag 1 is awesome, especially the latter half of it, very clever, I have to skip 2 and 'the last rumba' though, just can't stand them, I know JM likes throwing in the odd cheesy track on his LP's but those are too much.

I'm thinking Orient Express, Computer Weekend & September rank amongst the biggest sinners in the cheese dept, but all pale against MF2, just sounds like an old computer game theme.

Kanta - Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Ontopic please. :D
melo - Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Jarrefriends,

nobody got scans to put here ????

Kanta - Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm

melo wrote:
Jarrefriends,

+1

Dr_Jones - Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 am

melo wrote:
Jarrefriends,

Give me a few hours.

Robi - Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:40 am

So?
Dr_Jones - Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:01 am

I had to recover from hospital, the scans are in the computer on the 3rd floor... I first need to recover to climb the stairs first :roll:
Robi - Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 am

Oh sorry for hearing that. :? Take care!
melo - Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Take care Coen.
Pat Gleeson - Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Look after yourself Coen ...
Kanta - Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Get well soon, Coen.
Black Bird - Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 pm

All the best to you ! :balloon:
Dr_Jones - Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 pm

After ordering some pharmacies from FrilliGre, I got a lot better:

Robi - Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 am

Danke you ! :)
Pat Gleeson - Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am

Dr_Jones wrote:
After ordering some pharmacies from FrilliGre, I got a lot better:

:mrgreen:

Thanks, glad to see you are feeling better !

melo - Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Thank you Dr.Jones (Coen). Great work. I will translate some parts in portuguese and put the information on brazilian site. Credits for you.
Dr_Jones - Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:15 pm

melo wrote:
Thank you Dr.Jones (Coen). Great work. I will translate some parts in portuguese and put the information on brazilian site. Credits for you.

melo - Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Here:

http://www.jarrefan.com.br/?p=2618

Robi - Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:32 pm

vampires and toujour America. Certainly.
Kanta - Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Hmm, wait and see. :P
melo - Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Is Jarre a vampire ? :evil:
Kanta - Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:36 pm

We don't have prove that to be the case. :smoke:
Robi - Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

He is visiting Oz this week again.
shadow - Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Joy that's my favorite place in the world :D

:punch:

Kanta - Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm

shadow wrote:
Joy that's my favorite place in the world :D

:punch:

Sweet! :punch:

GlennFolkvord - Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:56 am

Jon wrote:
Oxy4 is a classic track with a classic cult following. It does not fit into a festival. A festival does not cater for the "older" generation. Festivals are mainly packed out with younger blood whose most likely have never heard of JMJ

That depends entirely on which festival he is doing, doesnt it? In Oslo 2010 15.000 people came, most of them for Jarre, not the younger hipper Royksopp that played before him. Not all festivals aim at the younger crowd. Besides, most festival crowds are open to various kinds of music, that's why you go to a festival that isnt purely rock or purely rap.

Jon wrote:
If JMJ was to take an approcah like Electronic Night, that could work better.

In case you dont know, ENight wasnt a great success with the audience. Many booed, and many left. I was there, but stayed, of course. Personally I think it was a bold and great concept, but not my style of music entirely, and it is doubtful that the young techno crowd would feel JMJ is a big draw no matter his remixes. (I believe Jarre did the concert that way because he didnt want to repeat CPLT from 3 years earlier at the same location.)

Robi - Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 pm

If the festival idea growing any further, I think he should change the concept. He could perform all tracks he is performing now, but with updated versions. More like 2000s style.
For festivals, he should leave teremin, for sure. If he would play at any of the festivals - mainly a US festival - that audience wouldn't understand many bits of his performance. Teremin is among of these.

I don't know if he could conclude a new tour next year? Do you think the recent leg is the last leg? Could he continue touring in 2012?
Outside of Europe? Surely.
Here on the old continent, openairs and festivals. With upgraded tracks, new concept. A little bit, at least...