BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Albums & Other Releases - Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

AERO62 - Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm
Post subject: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau
I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

Quote:
Jarre utilised the unedited version as an ambient audience "warm-up" in the hours prior to the Paris la Defense concert in 1990 (and also in many concerts after this "first"), played on the specially installed public address sound system scattered throughout Paris for this event.

Hours? Does that mean there's a "raw" un-released version that runs for hours ? I'd love to hear it :)

So far I thought the longest one was at Concert D'images and lasted 60 minutes. This file Download was in the database and even though it's labeled "concertd'images", I'm not sure if it is indeed what it says it is. I checked the recording and apparently someone had just copied the last 15 minutes to extend it. (Notice how some of the fans just love doing stuff like that... making fake lossless or fake-versions.) So, unless it was indeed played that way at the exhibition, which I doubt, then we still haven't really heard the 60 minute version.

Meanwhile I came across another interesting recording. A 50 minute version which sounds a bit different from the original and ends kinda abruptly (Could it be a part of the unedited variation?). The file is named - "En Attendant Cousteau (Concert Pour La Tolerance)". Here's the link if you want to check it out - 50minute_tolerance
So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.

So , can anyone shed some light on this and has anybody ever heard a version longer than 45-50 minutes?

melo - Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 pm

During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?

GeeJee - Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau
AERO62 wrote:
So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

AERO62 - Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 pm
GeeJee wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

Wow that's interesting. Then it's probably mislabeled, doesn't sound like fake. I'll try listening more attentively to spot ehmm.. something. Now we have to figure out where it came from.

Phil J. - Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 am
GeeJee wrote:
Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

That's absolutely true. I was there. Thankfully, someone did have a copy; don't know if they ever got it back though.

Dr_Jones - Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Yes, they got it back, signed by JMJ
Velodynamic - Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:03 pm

melo wrote:
During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1fFZoVSJow

( http://www.mediafire.com/...m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )

AnDrOiD - Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:
AERO62 - Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm

AnDrOiD wrote:
Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:

But where's the fun in that.. :wink:

I tried to compare the original to the 50 min version. They are different. I may be wrong but the latter one sounds like the same fragment is repeated throughout the track. There's no ending nor beginning. I think I can also hear one new sound effect a few times, or it could be just an illusion because the recording is so overmodulated. It might as well be a real concertd'images version or just another joke from some fan.

qube - Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 am

It's fractal music so theoretically it should last forever without ever repeating.

Just need the algorithm to generate the MIDI data and leave it running.

chronos - Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 am

thought that this was some friking joke!!

Waiting for Cousteau extended remix edition??

tinmachine - Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 am

At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4!
Dr_Jones - Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:52 am

tinmachine wrote:
At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4!

And that was the highlight of that whole concert :?

thhedk - Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:13 am
AERO62 wrote:
I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.
Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.

I think the song sound cool, but I am a bit dissapointed that he didn't found place for some more exiting bits in it.

I used it two days ago, for what it is perfect for - aqaurium video/photos :)
Denmarks Aquarium

thhedk - Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm
thhedk wrote:

at 34min 19 sec

4½ sec in this clip, something is cutted.

AERO62 - Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:12 pm
thhedk wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.

Well anyone could do that. But what if in there's new non-repeating parts in the unedited version...

thhedk wrote:
thhedk wrote:

at 34min 19 sec

4½ sec in this clip, something is cutted.

Great find! I just checked the mysterious/fake concertd'images version to see if there's a similar cut and guess what- there's actually a different tune playing at that time :shock: . So maybe it is real after all. But then why would Jarre so sloppily extend it by reattaching the last fragment ? I'm confused..

One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?

Pat Gleeson - Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:07 pm
AERO62 wrote:
One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?

Yes it is - the exact timing is 46'53", but timings vary from that to 46'57" with the difference being silence at the end.
In relation to the other versions, I was at the Concert D' Images exhibition and I remember the music being pretty much the same as the official release, but it's such a long time ago now it's impossible to compare. I took me a few listens to the CD release to actually remember where I heard the music before. :)
I do seem to remember that WFC was a perfect accompaniment to an exhibition.
Unfortunately the staff were of little help and steadfastly ignored all efforts by people asking about the music, and even resorting to confiscating cameras to stop photography ...

DJoA - Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Velodynamic wrote:
melo wrote:

( http://www.mediafire.com/...m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )

i was also wondering what this track was.... you know something more velodynamic? :roll: :roll:

tinmachine - Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.

I have the cassette album, but I'm not that technical minded to create an mp3 of it (the same goes for my cassette of Equinoxe with the non-CD mix of Part 5, but that's another topic!).

I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?

AnDrOiD - Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 pm

tinmachine wrote:
I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?

No such thing on mine.

tinmachine - Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Ok, have to check EBay now for a new CD of WFC!!!
AERO62 - Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 pm

tinmachine wrote:
Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.

Aw.. I've never heard that mix.

Can somebody else who owns the cassette or vinyl digitize it (in lossless preferrably :mrgreen: ) ?

AERO62 - Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Here's another difference I just spotted. In concertdimages there's one effect missing. I don't know how to explain it properly but on CD you can hear this sort of like constant 'crystals' effect in the background, while there's none on the other 2 versions.

So every mix is different. But which one is really unedited ? Probably none of them, because not one hits 1 hour mark, and if we trust wikipedia then there should be hours-long track. Maybe it's in the studio somewhere.. Wish I could ask JMJ directly.. Does he even read these forums :lol: ?

Dr_Jones - Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:12 pm

AFAIK, the vinyl version of Waiting for Cousteau is identical to the CD version (only half as short of course).
melo - Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Thank's Velodynamic for WFC mix by Monaco. :bravo:
tinmachine - Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
AFAIK, the vinyl version of Waiting for Cousteau is identical to the CD version (only half as short of course).

No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score. It isn't the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version. If I recall correctly, the 22 minute version doesn't feature the excerpt heard on the PLD video (approx 4-6 minutes into the CD version).

Pat Gleeson - Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score.

The LP has the same edit as the cassette. The whole scope of the piece edited to 22 mins.
I'm hoping to upload it to the database very soon.

Dr_Jones - Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score.

The LP has the same edit as the cassette. The whole scope of the piece edited to 22 mins.
I'm hoping to upload it to the database very soon.

Hey, I didn't say that, you're quoting the wrong person!

So in other words: the LP and the Cassette should have the same edit, but I said the LP has the same, but shorter, version as on the CD, so the cassette should have that too.

qube - Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 pm

This track is definitely the one I play the most of JMJ's work, no matter how crappy or stressed I feel it just sorts me out.

I played it in its entirety at my wedding as the guests arrived!

Pat Gleeson - Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 pm

tinmachine wrote:

Is that better ? :D

Pat Gleeson - Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
So in other words: the LP and the Cassette should have the same edit, but I said the LP has the same, but shorter, version as on the CD, so the cassette should have that too.

The cassette and LP have the same edited version, spanning the whole track - not just the first 22mins. of the 46 min. CD version.

AERO62 - Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:28 am

qube wrote:
This track is definitely the one I play the most of JMJ's work, no matter how crappy or stressed I feel it just sorts me out.

Same here :bravo:

AERO62 - Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:26 pm

Guys, I'm downloading the vinyl rip, turns out somebody had made it almost a year ago.. I'll put the links once It's done.
Velodynamic - Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Yes I have a 59, ..."something" minutes mp3 on my hdd. It sound very much like the one I have on CD (-97 Sony remaster) but in the mp3 there's a very distinct cut at 44' minutes and then the end part is repeated to fill out the gap to 59'10. :pwned:

Now I'm playing the vinyl on my turntable through my floor speakers at the same time as I'm playing the CD in the PC with my head phones on.
It's a bit spooky because they're both identical up to about 2'39 minutes and then something happens and they become different mixes.
Perhaps you can find the vinyl continuation somewhere further in the CD-mix but it's too hard to find out this way. :P

AERO62 - Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Velodynamic wrote:
Yes I have a 59, ..."something" minutes mp3 on my hdd. It sound very much like the one I have on CD (-97 Sony remaster) but in the mp3 there's a very distinct cut at 44' minutes and then the end part is repeated to fill out the gap to 59'10. :pwned:

Yes, we've established that already :)

Anyway.. as I've said here before, even though it's extended like that. It still is a somewhat different mix, at least I think so because It doesn't sync up with the original it at all. Maybe the beginning was cut as well>? But then, if you pay attention, one effect is missing there. How could they do that? The whole track actually sounds like it's recorded from a tape.

Btw, you should listen to the 50min version, the link is on the first page. THat one is nothing like the others :)

Trance007 - Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I would like to add some mess (or maybe clean up the mess :pwned: )

I've uploaded 3 versions of WFC on the database
1) /MP3 - WAV/Albums-bootlegs/Singles, Remixes, Versions, Covers, Miscellaneous/Concerts d'images (En attendant Cousteau 74 min 26).flac
I got this CDR from a Jarre fan some years ago. I don't know if it's true or a fake.

2) /MP3 - WAV/Albums-bootlegs/Singles, Remixes, Versions, Covers, Miscellaneous/En attendant Cousteau 50 min 29 (from website Un espace pour la tolérance).ra
Real Audio file ripped from the Un espace pour la tolérance website, that Jarre sets up in 1996.
I ripped this file myself, so it's definitively not a fake.
This file was tagged "Concert pour la tolérance" by the website creator, which doesn't really make sense, but explains why there is a file named "En Attendant Cousteau (Concert Pour La Tolerance).mp3" floating around.
Yes, it's the root of the "50minute_tolerance" version. 8)

3) /MP3 - WAV/Albums-bootlegs/Singles, Remixes, Versions, Covers, Miscellaneous/En attendant Cousteau 50 min 29 (from website Un espace pour la Tolérance).mp3
Same as file 2, but converted to MP3.
Real Audio codecs are hard to find these days. :P

Now, if somebody could analyse these versions, and check if they are made of the CD, cassette, or contains new edit.
I would really appreciate it very much. 8)

AERO62 - Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 am

Trance007 wrote:

1) /MP3 - WAV/Albums-bootlegs/Singles, Remixes, Versions, Covers, Miscellaneous/Concerts d'images (En attendant Cousteau 74 min 26).flac
I got this CDR from a Jarre fan some years ago. I don't know if it's true or a fake.

Now, if somebody could analyse these versions, and check if they are made of the CD, cassette, or contains new edit.
I would really appreciate it very much. 8)

That first one is cd + vinyl + something else put together.

Velodynamic - Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 am

AERO62 wrote:

Btw, you should listen to the 50min version, the link is on the first page. THat one is nothing like the others :)

The sound quality is not the best. I think it sounds like a "mish-mash" of various cuts from the original mixed together.
I could be wrong though. It could aswell have been produced later with the same type of gear and effects, randomly played in a different way.
If I understood it right wfc was a kind of automatic "random generator" with these characteristic samplings.

DJoA wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:
melo wrote:

i was also wondering what this track was.... you know something more velodynamic? :roll: :roll:

Dr_Jones wrote:
Oxygene wrote:
Waiting For Cousteau kicked in only 10 Minutes before the concert started. Before there was a strange kind of ambient music played, sometimes sounding like Cousteau, sometimes like Vangelis, sometimes accoustic, sometimes ambient-electro...

That Vangelis-ish part was the start of Christophe's La Dolce Vita, written by Jarre/Christophe.

Do I know something more? Not really... :wink:

Dr_Jones - Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 am

Velodynamic wrote:
Quote:

That Vangelis-ish part was the start of Christophe's La Dolce Vita, written by Jarre/Christophe.

Not really... :wink:

The intro of this song was in the compilation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfG_r1sI8Q

Velodynamic - Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:47 pm

AERO62 wrote:
Anyway.. as I've said here before, even though it's extended like that. It still is a somewhat different mix, at least I think so because It doesn't sync up with the original it at all. Maybe the beginning was cut as well>? But then, if you pay attention, one effect is missing there. How could they do that? The whole track actually sounds like it's recorded from a tape.

I can sync the 59'' mp3 perfectly with my 1997 CD track. Same effects.
But as you pointed out it's not as clear on the mp3 and it's running a bit too fast.

mikejarrenot - Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 pm
Post subject: 22 minute verson of wfc??

Hello darren, are you refering to the vinyl version? - if so ,i have it ,and an ion usb turntable to convert it to either a wav or an mp3.
Let me know if you want me to make a copy, either on here, or facebook.

tinmachine - Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:29 pm
Post subject: Re: 22 minute verson of wfc??
mikejarrenot wrote:

Hello darren, are you refering to the vinyl version? - if so ,i have it ,and an ion usb turntable to convert it to either a wav or an mp3.
Let me know if you want me to make a copy, either on here, or facebook.

Thanks Mike, that would be brilliant. I have the cassette but no technical ability to make an mp3 of it! :)

shadow - Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I have the vinyl record and can have it uploaded between now and half an hour as a uncompressed format or a .MP3 :P
AERO62 - Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Here's a vinyl rip in flac at 96 khz, 24 bit (....)

/admin edit: you are not allowed to share any copyrighted material on this site.

AERO62 - Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Ok, I just found this footage before the concert and if you listen carefuly after 9:55, then you could hear the bits that aren't on cd version. I'm not sure if it's just an echo or not. And then the parts after 10:47 and 10:57 also sound new to me.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...9lJWEG4M#t=595s

shadow - Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

New to my ears to, then again I've only heard the entire track for like 3 times without falling asleep :punch:
thhedk - Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 am

AERO62 wrote:
Ok, I just found this footage before the concert and if you listen carefuly after 9:55, then you could hear the bits that aren't on cd version. I'm not sure if it's just an echo or not. And then the parts after 10:47 and 10:57 also sound new to me.

WTF! That is NOT an echo, it sounds like a new variation.

AERO62 - Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

thhedk wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

Then it's true, it must have been uncut version played before the concert.

Pat Gleeson - Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:24 pm

I remember reading (in COTM ?) that the CD version of WFC was an edited version of "highlights" from the full track. This recording seems to confirm that the full unedited version was played over the PA system before the La Defense concert.
I remember hearing WFC (or an early mix of it) playing in the background during the Concert D'Images exhibition in July 1989 - that version was very long also - well over an hour. I spent many hours over a period of a few days at that exhibition :-)
When I heard WFC on CD the next year, it took me a while to figure out why the title track seemed so familiar :-)

AERO62 - Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 pm

The question is - where can we find this unedited version in its entirety ? Was someone thoughtful enough to record it during that day? I've asked the uploader of the video but he hasn't replied :(
chronos - Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am

AERO62 wrote:
The question is - where can we find this unedited version in its entirety ? Was someone thoughtful enough to record it during that day? I've asked the uploader of the video but he hasn't replied :(

sorry bud, the question is this..

Why the heck do you want to listen to an hours worth of what is essentially back-round music whilst trying to find bits that's not on the cd version...

AERO62 - Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:53 am

chronos wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

sorry bud, the question is this..

Why the heck do you want to listen to an hours worth of what is essentially back-round music whilst trying to find bits that's not on the cd version...

Because I enjoy it, got a problen with that ? :o

AERO62 - Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm

thhedk wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

I guess it was an echo after all. Same thing happened in Gdansk - http://www.mediafire.com/?k6wax4uc8pcjcns

Pat1982 - Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I was checking the French Wikipedia Wikipedia and saw this:
"On obtient alors le morceau complet à savoir : Concert d'images présent sur le CD offert durant « Jarre expo » et qui servit d'ambiance sonore à cette même exposition."

Translated: "One can optain the complete song on the givaway CD "Jarre expo" offered during Concert images and served as a soundscape to the same exposure."

This got me intrigued as I never have heard about that CD.
Does anyone else?

At this youtube video there supposedly is the 'full' version.
The picture shows videotheque de Paris (audio-visual, meaning the also have vinyl LP's), and the image is different from the book cover:

So does it really exist? And if not, then what is on the above 'videotheque' image?

millau - Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Pat1982 wrote:
"On obtient alors le morceau complet à savoir : Concert d'images présent sur le CD offert durant « Jarre expo » et qui servit d'ambiance sonore à cette même exposition."

Translated: "One can optain the complete song on the givaway CD "Jarre expo" offered during Concert images and served as a soundscape to the same exposure."

Does anyone else?

The picture shows videotheque de Paris (audio-visual, meaning the also have vinyl LP's), and the image is different from the book cover:

So does it really exist? And if not, then what is on the above 'videotheque' image?

In 1989 there was an exposition(Concert d'images) in Paris about jarre with pictures and some instruments of Jarre. The background music on the exposition was this track that came a year later out as "En attendent Cousteau". The track is longer than the CD version. I don't think that this track officialy was released.

Pat1982 - Tue May 20, 2014 2:39 am

millau wrote:
In 1989 there was an exposition(Concert d'images) in Paris about jarre with pictures and some instruments of Jarre. The background music on the exposition was this track that came a year later out as "En attendent Cousteau". The track is longer than the CD version. I don't think that this track officialy was released.

Ofcourse I know all that (I have the book that is why compared it with the other image). I was reffering to an unknown cd-release that someone edited on wikipedia.

shadow - Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 am

Why hasn't anyone actually asked Jarre himself what the exact situation is with this track? I most certainly wouldn't mind buying a full version of the track even if it is the only track on the cd :nod:
Dr_Jones - Tue May 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Pat1982 wrote:

Does anyone else?

I do not believe this. It's been 25 years and no-one has even mentioned this CD once. I know some of the people in the Jarre community are very secretive (the infamous Whitfield Street acetates seem to have some different versions/remixes of songs and some of the fans own these CDs for years), but all us collectors have never ever seen anything related to this Jarre Expo CD.

Even with the auction catalogue of Music for Supermarkets out there, I would imagine people who attended this expo mentioning this CD anywhere, since there were more ppl at the Concert d'Images than at the MfS auction.

Pat1982 - Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 am

Dr_Jones wrote:

I do not believe this. It's been 25 years and no-one has even mentioned this CD once. I know some of the people in the Jarre community are very secretive (the infamous Whitfield Street acetates seem to have some different versions/remixes of songs and some of the fans own these CDs for years), but all us collectors have never ever seen anything related to this Jarre Expo CD.

Even with the auction catalogue of Music for Supermarkets out there, I would imagine people who attended this expo mentioning this CD anywhere, since there were more ppl at the Concert d'Images than at the MfS auction.

I know, it is almost unbelievable. But yet, what is that in the picture?
It is not the book cover nor the poster from concert d'images.

I found the user who put that about quote on Wikipedia in 2008, he seems to be from France since most of his thousands of contributions are about France-related things.
I could also trace to IP adress to be owned by the French railways, so it must be a person that works there.

And the uploader from that youtube video is also French (from Orleans).
He is clearly also a Jarre-fan, as he visited some concerts and had dozens of other Jarre videos.
The could be one and the same person?

However I found a German guy who went to concert d'images, and does not mention any cd-giveaway...
http://www.doreen-und-rainer.de/topics/jarre3.php
So the conclusion must be:
- the Wikipedia editor made a mistake or put false info online?
- the image on youtube is an unknown poster or a photoshop, and the music a fake reproduction?

Christophe - Wed May 21, 2014 6:54 am

Pat1982 wrote:

I know, it is almost unbelievable. But yet, what is that in the picture?
It is not the book cover nor the poster from concert d'images.

- the image on youtube is an unknown poster or a photoshop, and the music a fake reproduction?

When I see the photo I think it's a banner in some sort of plastic that they put at a wall. And, yes, they are sometimes different to the other artwork of the exposition. :wink:

Greetings,

Christophe

shadow - Wed May 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:

Have these actually been 'released' regularly already or are people still being arses by keeping it for themself to look at them instead of actually, you know, listening to them?

Dr_Jones - Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

shadow wrote:
Have these actually been 'released' regularly already or are people still being arses by keeping it for themself to look at them instead of actually, you know, listening to them?

The latter... Most of them has not been shared. The Gagarin remix and an unreleased Tout Est Bleu Phats & Small remix have been shared though.

Anyway, Kanta posted this video from Keyboards magazine reporter Alain Mangenot, who visited JMJs studio several times and made some great reports (albeit in French, which is not my main language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsG-NkWwk1o

In the description, it says:
"après Révolutions et avant un CD de musique ambiante à tirage limité, une rencontre avec Jean-Michel Jarre"

After Revolutions and before a limited release CD, (we) meet with Jean Michel Jarre.

Might WfC been considered to be released in a limited print?

Anyway, the video is from around 1997, since a sleeve of Oxygene 8 is filmed too.

Pat1982 - Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 am

If it exists, it might be something like Interior Music in 2001: that was limited to 1000 copies, had no catalogue number, and was given for free to the invited guests at B&O.
Maybe at Concert d'Images it was the same, but even more limited?

AERO62 - Sun May 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Pat1982 wrote:

I believe this is one of the faked "full" versions. Listen carefully, it ends around 45 min (cd) fades slowly into the 20-something vinyl version and then finishes off with the latter part of the cd track again. It's just been sliced and merged into a mysterious 75 minute version, which I believe first appeared on the FTP database, uploaded by a user who has posted in this very thread that he didn't know the origin of it either.

AERO62 - Sun May 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Trance007 wrote:

There it was.

AERO62 - Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 pm

If somebody's got the right synths and is more musically saavy, you could maybe use this midi file http://musicnoteslib.com/...4294935677.html , copy the notes from the lead piano synth, then use some kind of algorithmic software to program the same notes so it can generate different sequences, then add some FX effects, change or extend the notes on the backing synths and maybe a whole new track will come out ?
Finaero - Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
shadow wrote:

The latter... Most of them has not been shared. The Gagarin remix and an unreleased Tout Est Bleu Phats & Small remix have been shared though.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that some people would hold on to stuff like that just because...

... but out of curiousity, do these hyper-exclusive rarities include anything nice from Paris La Defense? >.>

shadow - Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Finaero wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
shadow wrote:

Well, it doesn't surprise me that some people would hold on to stuff like that just because...

I don't either, but I find it utterly selfish and discusting. Just share it with people already, it's not like the value of the actual disc will lessen. Music (but also films btw) get lost this way because someone doesn't bother sharing the entire (or different) thing for whatever reason...

AERO62 - Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Hey guys,

Just decided to check up on this again and my old post with the link claiming there's some new parts of the track might after all be the only proof available. I later wrote that it must have been echo, but to be honest I can't say for sure. It seems somebody kept the recorder next to the speaker since the sound does not change throughout this video excerpt. Understandably it must have been windy so they simply replaced the audio with what had been recorded from the PAs. I have noticed if it really had been the echo, then why has it disappeared at some point ? THat's what got me curious once again. I also posted that the same 'effect' appeared on the Gdansk radio broadcast, but it may actually have been the full tracked played there as well (can't say for sure, lost the files now).

Quote:

As for the Concert D'images uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WoD3qC1sqM. There is some abnormalities as well. At 36:54 and 46.03 for instance some skipping/ CD defects (?) appear , even though seems like the sound has been sliced from vinyl and CD, I'm gonna have to recheck this once more before saying anything for sure...

Finaero - Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 pm

et moi wrote:
... but out of curiousity, do these hyper-exclusive rarities include anything nice from Paris La Defense? >.>

Still interested in an answer to this question. ;)

Synner - Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:49 pm

On a related note - has anyone got an MP3 version of the vinyl edit?

I've been looking for it for years on digital - I have all the bootleg extended edits, but the one thing I don't have is the edited version.

The Sound-Oven - Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Synner wrote:

I've been looking for it for years on digital - I have all the bootleg extended edits, but the one thing I don't have is the edited version.

Hi

I should have the cassette version, which features the 22 edit. I could dig it up and rip the recording to MP3. send me a PM.

Is the edit not on YouTube?

jarrepaul - Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:28 pm

The Sound-Oven wrote:
Synner wrote:

Hi

I should have the cassette version, which features the 22 edit. I could dig it up and rip the recording to MP3. send me a PM.

Is the edit not on YouTube?

Bootleg extended edits?????????

Synner - Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, there are at least two extended versions - one just under an hour, and another nearly 90 minutes. There's links to them in this thread. They are both hacked together from the cd and vinyl versions.

The one thing I can't find anywhere is the shortened version from the LP / cassette version, which is a genuine Jean Michel Jarre track, edited by him for the original release, but never re-released.

shadow - Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

If I'm not mistaken it's just the CD release that edits the beginning and part of the later part together. I think I have the vinyl rip somewhere on my PC.
Pat Gleeson - Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm

shadow wrote:
If I'm not mistaken it's just the CD release that edits the beginning and part of the later part together. I think I have the vinyl rip somewhere on my PC.

The vinyl / cassette version is a proper bespoke edit. I uploaded a vinyl rip to the (dead) database here a few years back ...

Finaero - Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:46 pm

I've got a FLAC rip, if needed.
Synner - Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm

FLAC is good.
AERO62 - Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:02 pm

I've noticed something else i've never really cared to share because it's most likely my imagination, but has anyone actually heard words or voices sampled in the track? Could be that I have a trained ear for detecting speeches , but I hear "Hello", "No solution, no solution" and "Programmniy/problemniy otchet" (which is russian for - Program report or error/problem report).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2UxxdXAfg - you can check it at this link. There's "Hello" or some other word at 22:41, and the rest at 26:12. It repeats randomly here and there.

Don't take this seriously though. I might be hearing things.

Also I've got some flacs from Vinyl , never had the cassette version though.

DJoA - Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:22 pm
AERO62 wrote:
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one?

So , can anyone shed some light on this and has anybody ever heard a version longer than 45-50 minutes?

Well, i've "made" (just mixed) Waiting for Cousteau for 3 hours? is that ok? :)

you can find it here: https://youtu.be/_1QTd4bxGUE

I hope you enjoy it, like i do ;)

AERO62 - Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:16 am
DJoA wrote:
AERO62 wrote:
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one?

Well, i've "made" (just mixed) Waiting for Cousteau for 3 hours? is that ok? :)

you can find it here: https://youtu.be/_1QTd4bxGUE

I hope you enjoy it, like i do ;)

Sorry pal, it's not okay. The whole point of this thread is to find the original unedited mix of the track. Not copy/paste the same piece to make it last infinite hours.

DJoA - Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am
AERO62 wrote:

Sorry pal, it's not okay. The whole point of this thread is to find the original unedited mix of the track. Not copy/paste the same piece to make it last infinite hours.

No problem :) but do you really think it exists?

shadow - Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:04 pm

We've heard pieces here and there over the years that don't seem to appear on either the CD or vinyl release, so we know that there's at least something more to it than the 47 minute version. The question is, is that actually part of a longer version, possible alternate version or just part that was edited out for various reasons.
Finaero - Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am

Quote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
shadow wrote:

Not to be a pest (actually, it's far too late for me ;) ), Dr_Jones, but I'm not going to pursue this matter any further (i.e. asking people for copies or anything), just let me know (if you know)... do these special things that these people will never share include a possibly full-length high-quality unedited etc. recording of the Paris La Defense concert?

Dr_Jones - Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Finaero wrote:
Not to be a pest (actually, it's far too late for me ;) ), Dr_Jones, but I'm not going to pursue this matter any further (i.e. asking people for copies or anything), just let me know (if you know)... do these special things that these people will never share include a possibly full-length high-quality unedited etc. recording of the Paris La Defense concert?

Audio? Yes. Video? I have never heard about it. But I have seen a short video of Equinoxe 5 on some news channel.

Finaero - Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Alrighty, thanks!
DJoA - Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

shadow wrote:
We've heard pieces here and there over the years that don't seem to appear on either the CD or vinyl release, so we know that there's at least something more to it than the 47 minute version. The question is, is that actually part of a longer version, possible alternate version or just part that was edited out for various reasons.

Well, there is one person who knows more about it.. JMJ himself... Why not ask him? Use Kanta, she is very "close" with him ;) :P

AERO62 - Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:25 am

Well, somebody has finally interviewed JMJ a bit more thoroughly and found out that there is in fact an unedited version which lasts 77 minutes. And it is the one that is playing before the concerts.... So that's probably the only chance to capture it. :D

The info came from the fb fan group. It will be mentioned somewhere in here in part 3 I'm assuming. http://domino.elfworld.or...Niw4Dd1X9xaCS6Q

1906 - Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:52 am

I've got a version of 59'52". It contains material not found on the album version.
shadow - Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Curious if we'll ever het the entire thing, I really like the track.
shadow - Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Curious if we'll ever het the entire thing, I really like the track.
AERO62 - Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm

1906 wrote:
I've got a version of 59'52". It contains material not found on the album version.

Hi, could you please share it somewhere?

plate of chips - Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Much appreciated Elf

Elf wrote:
http://domino.elfworld.or...o-stop-playing/

From JmJ
"The original version of Waiting for Cousteau is 75 minutes,
but it’s only 47 on the album (22 minutes on the LP). And nothing in the piece is repeated, not one single moment.
So, every time you hear a *plink* on the piano, that’s your finger, actually hitting the key?
– Yes, exactly.

Whereas various listeners attached themselves to JmJ saying various interviews software responsible for WFC.

Whilst I always maintained there is No computer program in 1990 No AI in 2019 that could display depth profoundness piano WFC.

Why would JmJ many times say it was software ?

Simply because JmJ revealed his innermost profound self for the first time on record.
Therafter realising what he had done JmJ wanted to distract listeners from this.

Notice fluffy jolly Calypso 1 that we accept as JmJ "we know" balances WFC profoundness.

AERO62 - Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Too bad the interviewer made no effort to ask for a copy of the 75 original... Or maybe he did, but we'll never know.

P.S. What user named '1906' has mentioned is false. His 60 min file is just one of those sliced copy-paste edits that have been circulating through this thread.

The Sound-Oven - Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:58 pm

A pity Francis fell out with JMJ and became unreasonable. I would still love to hear Experimental 2001 someday. And all of AOR. I guess Experimental 2001 would've sounded something like the Bourges Audio Brunch 2002 music (and it probably is some of that music I bet)

And WFC is one of my very fav tracks! I'd love to hear the full 75 mix :)

Elf - Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 pm

AERO62 wrote:
Too bad the interviewer made no effort to ask for a copy of the 75 original... Or maybe he did, but we'll never know.

What do you mean, you'll never know? Just ask. But no, I didn't ask for the full verison. Why would I?

AERO62 - Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

What do you mean, you'll never know? Just ask. But no, I didn't ask for the full verison. Why would I?

Um, why wouldn't you? :|

Elf - Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:41 pm

AERO62 wrote:
Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

I should ask the artist for a copy so that I could spread it to fans? Why on Earth should Jarre do that? I would be rude of me to ask such a question.

AERO62 - Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:
Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

I should ask the artist for a copy so that I could spread it to fans? Why on Earth should Jarre do that? I would be rude of me to ask such a question.

Well in that case you could've asked if he planned to ever release it along with Experimental 2001, and hinted that he should release it as part of some kind of extras for fans ...

Elf - Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 pm

AERO62 wrote:
Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:
Elf wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

Well in that case you could've asked if he planned to ever release it along with Experimental 2001, and hinted that he should release it as part of some kind of extras for fans ...

Experimental 2001 isn't his to release. Dreyfus has the rights to it, just like they have for Sessions 2000 (which is the reason that one isn't on Spotify).

But I'll ask him about a release of WfC next time :-)

Dr_Jones - Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm

I mailed Dreyfus about Experimental 2001, but i haven't gotten any reply :-/
shadow - Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

They're either never going to release it, or release it when they can easily cash in on Jarre's name for whatever reason. Which is a shame, because I'd love to hear it.
Jote - Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:21 am

shadow wrote:
They're either never going to release it, or release it when they can easily cash in on Jarre's name for whatever reason. Which is a shame, because I'd love to hear it.

The former, i.e. never. The latter option is not realistic - I doubt anyone will ever consider this album an easy cash. Let's not forget why this album was never released - the reason is that the album was, pardon my French, "utter sh8" and it was delievered by JMJ only because he wanted to get out of the Sony/FDM relationship. I honestly doubt he (or whomever actually did it) put any effort into it, and even the album name is a clear indication of that (and was probably also a tongue-in-cheek justification of its alleged poor quality: "see, it's crap, because it's EXPERIMENTAL, get it?"). They will never release it, because they still make money selling GOOD JMJ albums and they most certainly will not want to jeopardize the "JMJ" brand. They didn't even want to release Sessions 2000 (and obviously since they kinda HAD to pick something they went with the "lesser evil" - i.e. S2K).

Velodynamic - Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am

If Francis Dreyfus choice was S2k over Experimental 2001 (even if he hated both) as his last JMJ release I think the chances are overwhelming that E01 actually is one ugly duck.
Finaero - Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:12 am

Still hoping for someone to accidentally discover the full unedited (and radio chatter free) recordings of PLD from the Europe 2 basements* or somesuch. ;)

(Or even Mike Mansfield's basement, maybe)

Pat Gleeson - Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 am

I've never heard Experimental 2001, so I can't comment on it. However one has to understand the context of both albums. Both parties were very upset with each other, and both understood that there were a minimum of two albums needed to finish the then current deal. Sessions 2000 was the one that was chosen first. Because it was so different to the norm and unlikely to be a commercial success on the scale usually associated with JMJ, it was mutually agreed that the one release would serve the contractual obligation. I'm sure FDM chose Sessions 2000 as the more commercial of the two, but I'm loathe to state as a matter of fact that Experimental 2001 is rubbish or otherwise. The favouring of one album over another is a personal thing from the fan point of view (e.g. some people preferring Oxygene over Equinoxe). The choice of Sessions 2000 over Experimental 2001 was purely a commercial one, made under trying circumstances. The fact it remains unreleased is more to do with the fact that the record deal was terminated when FDM realised that JMJ had provided the two albums as per contract, and the laws of diminishing returns dictated it would be way more profitable to release compilations of past work than to go to the trouble of releasing a new album with no commercial return. Experimental 2001 is very unlikely to warrant a release taking into account the time and trouble it would take to re-licence it.
Hans_Best - Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm
AERO62 wrote:
Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

Quote:
Jarre utilised the unedited version as an ambient audience "warm-up" in the hours prior to the Paris la Defense concert in 1990 (and also in many concerts after this "first"), played on the specially installed public address sound system scattered throughout Paris for this event.

I was just checking the German Wiki entry:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Cousteau

Quote:
Es existiert eine 1 Stunde 14 Minuten dauernde Version, welche als Soundtrack für die Ausstellung Konzert der Bilder (orig. Franz.: Concert d'images) im Jahre 1989 diente.[5]

[5] Eintrag zur Ausstellung Concert d'images auf http://aerozonejmj.fr

Translated:

Quote:

There is a 1 hour 14-minute version, which served as a soundtrack for the exhibition Concert of the images (original Franc .: Concert d'images) in 1989. [5]

[5] Entry to the exhibition Concert d'images on http://aerozonejmj.fr

So at least we have an exact timing now :wink:

Regards,

Hans

AERO62 - Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 pm

One of the members from the fan group on FB claims that a strictly limited edition CD was available during the opening of Concert D'images, and that his friend got one. Let's see if it would lead anywhere...
Dr_Jones - Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am

Scans of sleeve and CD would be nice too.
kubrick - Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:07 am

The complete "En attendent Cousteau" track is indeed played for the exposition in Paris "Conert d'Images" in 1989. There is no CD and there was never a release. People who said that they have a CD or copy of the complete track is pure bullshit. The complete track is never official released All the bla bla bla, is bullshit.... I was there at the time, and they gave cassettes during the exposition. (full track) I don't have the the cassette anymore, because a year after was the album En Attendent Cousteau. And I did'nt know that the track on the tape was complete. Nobody knew that the background music was a track of Jarre in 1989. The exposition was not succesful. What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.
Dr_Jones - Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 am

kubrick wrote:
The complete "En attendent Cousteau" track is indeed played for the exposition in Paris "Conert d'Images" in 1989. There is no CD and there was never a release. People who said that they have a CD or copy of the complete track is pure bullshit. The complete track is never official released All the bla bla bla, is bullshit....

yeah... That's what I tend to think too. That's why I asked for scans.

Elf - Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 am

When I interviewed Jarre in November, he told me that the full version was 75 minutes, and that he had to cut it down to 47 minutes to fit in the Calypso tracks, and to 22 minutes to fit on the LP and MC. The version used at the exhibition was cut to 69 minutes.
AERO62 - Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am

The strangest thing is on french wikipedia it reads:
Quote:

Le dernier morceau de 47 minutes qui apparaît sur le CD est complété par les 22 minutes de l'édition vinyle et par les 22 autres minutes de l'édition cassette pour obtenir le morceau complet de 90 minutes présent sur le CD Concert d'images offert durant « Jarre expo » et qui servit d'ambiance sonore à cette même exposition1.

Google translate:

Quote:
The last 47-minute piece that appears on the CD is completed by the 22 minutes of the vinyl edition and by the other 22 minutes of the cassette edition to obtain the complete 90-minute piece on the CD Concert Images offered during "Jarre expo" and served as a sound environment for this exhibition1.

Adds more confusion, but that is most likely false information. I've posted here in the thread links to pieces from preparations of LaDefense that weren't on the 45 min version. And JMJ himself has said that there's an unedited version...

Pat Gleeson - Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:06 pm

kubrick wrote:
What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.

I wish I was there the same time as you because there were no cassettes mentioned or on display when I was there 13,14,15,16 July 1989. Lucky you :-)

AERO62 - Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
kubrick wrote:
What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.

I wish I was there the same time as you because there were no cassettes mentioned or on display when I was there 13,14,15,16 July 1989. Lucky you :-)

The more people comment, the more confusion is created :D

3 theories so far:

There was a cassette,
There was a CD,
There was neither.