BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Albums & Other Releases - EQUINOXE 5 - Different mixes

matt222 - Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:12 pm
Post subject: EQUINOXE 5 - Different mixes
I have read that Michel Geiss states that there was only ever 1 mix of Equinoxe, yet there are clearly 2 distinctly different sounding versions in exsistence.

The Eminent strings and some VSC sound effects are louder in the 'original' and the mix sounds 'muddier' with some of the other sounds far less prominent.

The other example ( which I first came across on his Essential LP ) sounds like a more sophisticated mix with far more clarity - all the elements seem to have more of their own space within the soundscape.

In the original, nearly everything is panned far to one side with a strong delay bouncing to the opposite - this is not as much the case in the second version.

It sounds to me like a new mix made to take advantage of the then new technology in processing like sophisticated reverbs and enhancers.

But then why would Geiss say otherwise?

shadow - Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

It's entirely possible that the final mix wasn't done when the first masters were created. Reason why I think this is that only the very first reprint featured the old mix and the new mix was released even in the same year. Chances are Geiss wasn't even aware that the first mix was actually pressed for a while.
Velodynamic - Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 am

Well I've noticed that in one mix (the first or second one?) there is a very distinct distorded "slip" at about 2:42 into the track. This seems to be the most used version.
shadow - Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Bumping this topic here, but was the original vinyl mix ever included on a CD release? I purchased a red labeled CD earlier today (800 025-2) and I thought I had accidentally put on the Japanese vinyl rip I've made. I honestly can barely tell the difference between the two. Was the Japanese already remixed? :?
Pat Gleeson - Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 am

For the two mixes are 1978-82(?) vinyl and 1983-91(?) 1st CD pressings. To my knowledge the original vinyl mix has never appeared on CD. The first time I heard the new mix was on the vinyl release of 'The Essential' in 1983.
Dr_Jones - Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 am

shadow wrote:
Bumping this topic here, but was the original vinyl mix ever included on a CD release? I purchased a red labeled CD earlier today (800 025-2) and I thought I had accidentally put on the Japanese vinyl rip I've made. I honestly can barely tell the difference between the two. Was the Japanese already remixed? :?

I just got the red CD myself (800 025-2 01) and yes, it's got the LP mix on it, which has effects missing, but the extra strings playing the melody. Cool stuff.

Violator - Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:17 pm

CD 800025-2 01 has LP version. CDs 800025-2 02, 800025-2 03, 800025-2 05, 824747-2 1997 and 2014 remasters have CD version (all of them have the "distorted slip"). So why they didn't use LP version on the remasters and used the bugged version instead of it?

Additional info:
Single version (or remixed version) of the track is the same version that can be find on the most CDs but has the longer ending. That remixed version has the "distorted slip" also but not so loud as CD version.

shadow - Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
I just got the red CD myself (800 025-2 01) and yes, it's got the LP mix on it, which has effects missing, but the extra strings playing the melody. Cool stuff.

Ah great! So there is an actual digital transfer of it! :D

Pat Gleeson - Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Very interesting info everyone. I assumed that the LP mix was never released digitally.
Is the 800 025-2 01 release solely on the Red Polydor face label ?

Finaero - Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:50 pm

You know, I've always been confused 'bout this one. Namely, I've got no idea what the different mixes are!

FLAC recordings from my records:
France 1978
UK 1978

I much much much prefer the France 1978 version to the UK one (which sounds extremely muffled and, in my very humble yet honest view, garbage).

So by my biased preferences, I'd say that the UK one is the so called "LP mix" and the French one is the "CD mix", because I think the French LP one is the one on the MFSL CD/LP editions from 1993 and the 1997 Sony remaster.
MFSL CD
MFSL LP

Or is there a third mix in the... mix?

(Or is the UK 1978 version some odd mistake that shouldn't be taken into account at all?)

Pat Gleeson - Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

AFAIK, the original mix we're on about (most noticeable on Equinoxe 5) was available from 1978 onwards. When JMJ's catalogue up to then was first remastered for CD, the remix - that has been the basis for all releases since - emerged, including subsequent vinyl releases. I assumed up to today that the original LP mix was never released on CD

The France 1978 link is the CD mix
The UK 1978 link is the LP mix

I got my copy of Equinoxe on vinyl in early '81, and noticed immediately
the difference in Equinoxe 5 when I got The Essential on vinyl in '83.
The stereo panning on the arpeggios on the LP version especially.

To throw more confusion in the mix (as it were) the left / right channels
were swapped over for the 1997 remasters and are that way since ...

Finaero - Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

But I've still got to admit that I really dislike the original LP mix - it really sounds to me as if my record player was broken or the record itself had been smeared with something. So I'm thankful for the 2nd LP mix / CD mix being the majority one. ;)

shadow - Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Finaero wrote:

MFSL CD
MFSL LP

You're linking twice to the same file! ;)

Finaero - Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Whoops!

Fixed. ;)

shadow - Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:05 pm

I wonder, but has anyone ever bothered asking Jarre himself about it? Shouldn't he know the finer details about it also?
Pat Gleeson - Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:48 am

I'm looking for a copy now. The red face CD copies definitely have the
LP mix ?

Violator - Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
LP mix ?

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3105625?ev=rb

They're expensive!

Finaero - Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Interestingly, the red face 1983 CD is the 2015 best album edition winner for Equinoxe, and even I included that one within my favorites... despite it being the "LP mix" that I detest. Boh!
Dr_Jones - Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
LP mix ?

Yes. But good luck finding it, the red label CD is expensive and very sought after.

Pat Gleeson - Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Dr_Jones wrote:
Pat Gleeson wrote:
LP mix ?

Yes. But good luck finding it, the red label CD is expensive and very sought after.

Thanks Dr. Jones :)

Finaero - Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Which makes its Discogs page's "highest sold price: 25 eur" quite the tease. :P
Dr_Jones - Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Finaero wrote:
Which makes its Discogs page's "highest sold price: 25 eur" quite the tease. :P

One can get lucky with this, that's the beauty of it. As some fellow members here can confirm.

Also one thing for the Red Label CD: Equinoxe 3 doesn't crack (see http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6150 where user Phil did some thorough analysis)

shadow - Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
LP mix ?

Yeah it seemingly does. I'm mostly amazed that the album went so long before someone actually confirmed it. But the red label CD is ridiculously expensive for some reason. I legit don't understand why. I happen to come across it by for only 4 (and I was legit happy to come across it). Might come across it yourself some day.

Pat Gleeson - Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks everyone for the great information. The going rate seems to
be in the 85 - 200 price range - the 'cheaper' ones being snapped up
rather quickly ... :?

Pat Gleeson - Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 pm

As of today, I'm the proud owner of a 'Red Face' Equinoxe CD. To confirm, it has the original 1978 album mix on it - chuffed :D

Didn't pay silly money for it either :D

shadow - Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 am

Enjoy it! I know I did for the price I paid! :nod:
HunterTech - Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:08 am

Wow! How much did you guys have to pay for them? I was lucky to have an 80s CD that didn't have the cracks on Equinoxe 3 for $8 (It still had the remixed 5 though).
Finaero - Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 am

Congrats, Pat! ;)

Now, I wonder if some waves of that one might land on my shore... hell, I'd even take some flak for it. :nod:

shadow - Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

4 :nod:
Pat Gleeson - Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks everyone - as for waving the flak about, I'd be interested in advice on the subject :D
Pat Gleeson - Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 pm

HunterTech wrote:
Wow! How much did you guys have to pay for them? I was lucky to have an 80s CD that didn't have the cracks on Equinoxe 3 for $8 (It still had the remixed 5 though).

You won't get much change from anything between 80 - 300 ...

Finaero - Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 pm

dbpoweramp is one tool for all that flakking. Not sure if VLC and/or Audacity can pull it off, too, but I've heard such rumors. ;)
shadow - Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Thanks everyone - as for waving the flak about, I'd be interested in advice on the subject :D

Give me tomorrow, Ill get something :P

Pat Gleeson - Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I've no problem with the flakking it's more sharing the wave I'm at a loss how to do ... :D
Voyager37 - Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 am

Can anybody point me obvious differences of red CD from others please (remasters for instance)? I can't notice excluding 5 part.
shadow - Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 am

The mixing on Part 5 is completely different from the rest of the releases. Mostly the main lead is mixed very differently.
Jote - Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 am

shadow wrote:
The mixing on Part 5 is completely different from the rest of the releases. Mostly the main lead is mixed very differently.

I believe what Voyager37 asking about is if there are ANY OTHER differences EXCEPT the obvious part 5.

shadow - Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Oh... Yeah I completely misread it. Well outside of Equinoxe Part 5 I honestly can't hear a different actually...
Finaero - Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:53 pm

That version of Equinoxe 5 is really the bees knees on that red-faced CD (Matrix 01), because on vinyl I can't stand the first mix of Equinoxe 5 at all. The muffled lead sound in particular really sounds like it's being filtered through a sandbag. ;)
Voyager37 - Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am

OK, thanks. Tell me please is this mix very first, 1978? When was released next? Was that final?
Velodynamic - Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 am

My latest recording of Equinoxe part 5, 1978 12" promo vinyl single 33,3 rpm "special remix".
(copy and paste all of it into your browser's search field)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AquQt8tbHHq03FyBq_Z_uMfWW13x

TT: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB DC
Cartridge: Ortofon 2m Bronze
RIAA: Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2

Finaero - Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm

8)
matt222 - Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 pm

How does the special remix differ to the standard version?
Velodynamic - Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 pm

matt222 wrote:

It has a sticker on the cover that says so. :nod:
I'm not sure but isn't the thunder bang at the intro a bit shorter then on the regular LP version?

A fun thing about that single...I had to take down the input level to 38% because of the ridiculously over sized grooves on that thing.

I've compared the levels with the latest LP version from the 2018 Equinoxe Project vinyl box.
2018 version down below, recorded with the same input level at 38%.

kubrick - Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 am

Velodynamic wrote:
matt222 wrote:

It has a sticker on the cover that says so. :nod:
I'm not sure but isn't the thunder bang at the intro a bit shorter then on the regular LP version?

A fun thing about that single...I had to take down the input level to 38% because of the ridiculously over sized grooves on that thing.

I've compared the levels with the latest LP version from the 2018 Equinoxe Project vinyl box.
2018 version down below, recorded with the same input level at 38%.

WAAAUW.... :?