BlahBlahCafe
The Zoolook Forum

Concerts - Paris La Defence 1990-remastered/improved free download

Flip Martian - Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 am
Post subject: Paris La Defence 1990-remastered/improved free download
My latest Jean Michel Jarre remaster is now up; this time its the La Defence, Paris concert from 1990. A remastered stereo FM recording of the full show, now sounding a lot lot better than before. And of course - a free download. No registration or anything - just download for free. I hope you enjoy!

http://liveandloudshows.b...la-defense.html

jarrepaul - Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks Phil
Flip Martian - Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 pm

No probs, enjoy.
Jote - Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks! Every new version of PLD is more than welcome!
Velodynamic - Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Wow. I didn't realised how limited the recordings from that concert actually are.
It sounds like it has been recorded with a slightly unstable cassette player. :P
Still it's well worth the effort, thank you Flip. Great job. :)

Jote - Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Velodynamic wrote:
Wow. I didn't realised how limited the recordings from that concert actually are.
It sounds like it has been recorded with a slightly unstable cassette player. :P

One of the recordings that I have (not this particular one I think) was clearly recorded or played using a tape that kept slowing down (while the pitch of Oxygene IV/Equinoxe IV is more or less ok, for Quatrieme Rendez-Vous - hardly)

Flip Martian - Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Velodynamic wrote:

You should have heard the original... :lol: Yep, I guess a cassette and a noisy FM broadcast (I guess the aerial wasn''t very good). But at least it exists and is more listenable now. Thanks for listening - over 600 page hits for this one already in less than 24 hours. Jarre is popular. :)

Jote - Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Flip Martian wrote:
You should have heard the original...

Can you post a short A-B comparison?

Flip Martian - Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 am

Jote wrote:
Flip Martian wrote:
You should have heard the original...

Can you post a short A-B comparison?

Yes, happy to. I'll sort it out and post a link up later today.

Flip Martian - Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am

Jote wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:

One of the recordings that I have (not this particular one I think) was clearly recorded or played using a tape that kept slowing down (while the pitch of Oxygene IV/Equinoxe IV is more or less ok, for Quatrieme Rendez-Vous - hardly)

Yes, its quite common! Some of the shows on my archive (not Jarre shows though) have had pitch correction either on some tracks or the whole recording, as well as other corrections and improvements. Tape stretches with age and number of plays. I guess if not stored correctly, they get worse quickly.

Flip Martian - Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Ok, I've prepared Equinoxe IV as a demonstration of what the original source sounded like and what I've done. This doesn't include any defects as this track was ok - really its just a demonstration of the 30 band EQ I applied.

The track starts without, then EQ kicks in after about 12 secs. Then off for a while, on for a while, all through the track. Hopefully you can hear the difference (although you will hear MORE of a difference on good speakers/headphones. If you're listening on laptop speakers or something you won't hear the full difference).

Compared to many of the shows I've done, this was actually a pretty straight forward one.

The track is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/...t_intervals.mp3

Jote - Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 pm

I finally listened to the whole thing today and there's one little problem with it - the pitch/speed are slightly too high throughout the entire file. Haven't measured it yet, but definitely verified it against other recordings and a nearby synthesizer :)
Flip Martian - Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Jote wrote:
I finally listened to the whole thing today and there's one little problem with it - the pitch/speed are slightly too high throughout the entire file. Haven't measured it yet, but definitely verified it against other recordings and a nearby synthesizer :)

Really? After nearly 500 downloads no-one's mentioned that. Strange, I've just had an audiophile link it up to the televised broadcast (minus the unbroadcast bits) and he would have crucified me if there were errors in it.

Ah well, if you can hear it I guess you have the wherewithal to pitch it down to your taste if you wish. Do that and you get a remaster perfect to your taste for free. :)

Finaero - Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Very nice remaster (I do prefer your 12DOTS ones, though ;) )!

I guess it's a shame that there will never be a proper lossless version of this concert. I have this one edition which features quite high quality audience recording snippets from the beginning of Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, but they clash quite heavily with the rest of the tracks being from the radio broadcast (well, EQ5 actually sounds quite alright).

I guess that if someone took the effort, one could make replica covers of those parts where the radio announcer blabbering interrupted the tracks in question, in order to finally make a 100% smooth Full PLD recording (320kbps at max). But eh.

Maybe it's time to raid Mike Mansfield's basement. ;)

Synner - Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 pm

That is brilliant - thanks a lot.

I wonder what you could do with, say, the Docklands broadcast.

I'd love to hear - really hear - that show again, like it sounded on the night. The BBC broadcast was a bit ropey.

Flip Martian - Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks both.

Docklands...well I do have an FM copy from NRJ Radio (from France I assume) although I've not had chance to go through that yet. But the plan is to give that a go sometime this year.

I need to make it sound much better than it was on the night. The night I saw the Docklands gig, the PA where I was was rubbish and it all sounded like it was from a transistor radio :wink: So it will sound much better than that I hope :lol:

Pat Gleeson - Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm

It sounds pretty much like the BBC Radio 1 broadcast - that is quite good, but marred by a persistent and wide echo ...
Finaero - Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I've sort of gotten used to the echo over the years, but it's still a shame that it's there.

The audience recording by SPACEDOUT (that, to my knowledge, was first released in 2003) was pretty nice, even though it also didn't have that good sound quality... and you can actually hear audible booing at some parts (at least during Industrial Revolution: Overture). :P

Flip Martian - Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am

BOOING?!! Really? I remember I was still outside queuing to get in when the overture was playing - missed the first 40 minutes!

Not much I can do to remove a persistent echo but if I can improve everything else that might make it more listenable anyway (at least that would be the idea).

Finaero - Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Well, it sort of sounds like booing turning into/getting overrun with cheers, but eh. Haven't listened to that one in years, thus I remembered it being more harsh.

On the subject of PLD, there was a user 'round Jarre forums who had his own audience recording of PLD but hadn't been able to convert it into a digital format due to a variety of reasons (distance being one of them, IIRC, as he was living in Europe but the recording was still in the U.S), but I haven't seen him around in years. Granted, this was in 2006 or so..

Synner - Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm

It wasn't boo-ing - at that point, the first firework was launched, as it rose higher and higher, the crowd oo-ed and ah-ed louder and louder. Mine was one of those voices!

If you listen, you can hear the bang as it goes off.

And yes, there is a fair bit of echo on the BBC broadcast - there was echo on the night too, but I think the BBC broadcast it in mono - some instrumentation is missing - most noticeably in Ethnicolor, where the final synth solo is completely missing.

Still, it did add a fair bit of power to the laser harp sound.

Finaero - Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Major thanks for the clarification, Synner! That one had been bugging me for almost 14 years. :wink:

On the subject of PLD, I found a PLD radio broadcast recording interspersed with some footage from an audience recording that eliminates the radio announcer chatter from the beginning of EQ5 before segueing back to the radio broadcast version. I took the audience recording part from that mp3, and combined it with some PLD "FLAC" radio broadcast I got from who knows where. It sounds... almost smooth: https://www.dropbox.com/s...Q5TEST.mp3?dl=0

Similarly, you can eliminate the radio ident from the beginning of MF2 (after the cool unique-to-PLD intro) by looping parts of the beginning (which of course makes the audience noises loop as well, but that could be remedied by some clever mixing). Something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s...F2TEST.mp3?dl=0

(On that topic, I'm still sort of hearing the radio ident during MF2 saying "Nihon" at one point and pronouncing "Europe 2" in a more Japanese manner, as if hinting the existence of a Japanese PLD radio broadcast out there somewhere... but probably not!)

Quite honestly, now I agree with you about the audience noise looping, because once you know it's there, you can't un-hear it. Even if it's something that you can only really hear with headphones on. ;)

And also quite honestly, it really is a shame that the chances of ever getting a full high quality re-release of PLD are at zero (especially if even those reclusive Jarre Whitfield Street acetate owners don't have the full concert like that ... wink), since for me it really was the highest point in JMJ's career, and also the best concert there has ever been on this Earth. ;)

Flip Martian - Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 pm

To be honest, yes of course there are ways of getting a recording without the radio idents - but I tread a fine line. My overall concern is best quality - sometimes I can erase bad errors in the recording (distortion or a bad click) by deleting that part and replacing with an identical section from elsewhere - and you would never hear it. But with audience noise looping...no, its not for me. The idents are quite small and, for me, they're part of a recording now 27 years old. So I left them.

Its only my opinion of course. Other people can alter these recordings how they prefer, as well :)