Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Concerts in China

Post Posted Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 pm
Enrique_Grove

Hello Friends I need help

This morning I was listening to The Peking (Radio Broadcast) 1981 when Jarre playing beatiful versions of Oxygene I & II, Equinoxe 8, Fishing Junks at Sunset, Magnetic Fields 1, Magnetic Fields 2 with his team Live! and I was wondering if how many recordings exist of this China Concert's? some rare stuff in yours hard Drives something?, maybe upload some beatiful rare song from this shows... my second question ¿what is a set list of this concerts?

thank's for your help! :)

Enrique.
Post Posted Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

According to magneticfields.dk that tracklist you mentioned was the whole tracklist from the first concert, and then it was:

1. Overture
2. Arpegiator
3. Equinoxe 4
4. Fishing Junks at Sunset
5. Band in the Rain
6. Equinoxe 7
7. Orient Express
8. Magnetic Fields 1
9. Magnetic Fields 3
10. Magnetic Fields 4
11. Laser Harp
12. Night in Shanghai
13. The Last Rumba
14. Magnetic Fields 2
15. Souvenir of China

So far I haven't heard about other recordings, so I doubt there is much of it out there.
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:46 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I wish there was more of it... :(
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 am
Jakob BC

Yes and especially from that expanded tracklist. I'd like to hear what those track really sounded like before its trip through the studio, but also to hear what differences there might have been when it comes to the many solos.
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am
AnDrOiD

From the radio broadcast we know that it sounded kinda crap before a run through the studio. :punch:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:32 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Jakob BC wrote:According to magneticfields.dk that tracklist you mentioned was the whole tracklist from the first concert, and then it was:

1. Overture
2. Arpegiator
3. Equinoxe 4
4. Fishing Junks at Sunset
5. Band in the Rain
6. Equinoxe 7
7. Orient Express
8. Magnetic Fields 1
9. Magnetic Fields 3
10. Magnetic Fields 4
11. Laser Harp
12. Night in Shanghai
13. The Last Rumba
14. Magnetic Fields 2
15. Souvenir of China

So far I haven't heard about other recordings, so I doubt there is much of it out there.
I've always doubted that tracklisting's authenticity because it's identical (IIRC) to the album tracklisting and quite a few Jarre live recordings (of audio or video kind) retain the original tracklisting... ... and if that's not a proper reason, well, Souvenir of China was composed after the tour so it couldn't have been played there :P

Also, I really wonder why people bash the first China concert so much. Sure the instruments sound somewhat weak (except for the drums) but there's actually live playing and the tracks aren't even played badly live at that. But I guess most people are closet elitists after all :p:
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:35 pm
Pat1982

The concerts had 2 different setlists for Beijing and Shanghai.
There is no solid source that shows the definitive tracklist, this mini-tour has become a bit 'lost' in time.
There is the official 2-CD/LP, official 1989 VHS, and the Dutch radio broadcast from Bejing's 1st concert.
However there is also an 1982 ATV (ITC) VHS, and a 1981 Japanese tv-broadcast (NHK Young Music Show).
It is possible that the Beijing radio broadcast is incomplete, as there is quite a difference in setlength.
Also, I cannot imagine that Oxygene 4 wasn't played, as it definitely was aired on the Chinese radio (heard on the album as a snippet).
I am of the opinion that Arpegiator and Souvenir Of China are studiotracks from '82, and were not played at the actual concert in '81. Also Orient Express was re-recorded.

Beijng:

Oxygene 1
Oxygene 2
<fade out>
Band In The Rain
Equinoxe 8
<fade out>
Fishing Junks at Sunset
Magnetic Fields 1
Magnetic Fields 2

Shanghai:

The Overture
Equinoxe 4
Equinoxe 5
Equinoxe 7
Magnetic Fields 3
Magnetic Fields 4
Laser Harp
Night In Shanghai
The Last Rumba
Orient Express
Magnetic Fields 2
Post Posted Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:31 pm
Jakob BC

How sure are you about Equinoxe 5? As I remember it was featured on the VHS, but recorded in a studio as some add-on to the video. Argh damn! I wished there were some more clear information about it.
Post Posted Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 am
Pat1982

Jakob BC wrote:How sure are you about Equinoxe 5? As I remember it was featured on the VHS, but recorded in a studio as some add-on to the video. Argh damn! I wished there were some more clear information about it.
On the VHS you can see the silent comedy "Broken China" (1926) with Bobby Vernon being played during Equinoxe 5.
But for at the end you can see Jarre playing his keyboard, it really looks like he is playing the same notes of the main melody.

Are you sure this was recorded afterwards in a studio? what's the source of this?
It has the same visual style like the rest concert or not? :shock:
I think I'll watch it again this weekend! :o
Post Posted Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:08 am
Jakob BC

Nah maybe you are right, I remember something different, but after watching it again, it doesn't look different from the other tracks, so I'll just take it back to "I don't know". You also see Perrier play the lead. I thought I had a better point, but after watching it again there is nothing.
Post Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

Pat1982 wrote:However there is also an 1982 ATV (ITC) VHS, and a 1981 Japanese tv-broadcast (NHK Young Music Show).
Do you have these VHS ?
Post Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

Jakob BC wrote:According to magneticfields.dk that tracklist you mentioned was the whole tracklist from the first concert, and then it was:
(...)
8. Magnetic Fields 1
(...)
Was there the full version of that song ?
Post Posted Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 am
Aneka65

Likes received  : 3

This concert Album by issued FD and Jean, it pleases me from start very also to the end. From stay on concerts to one commemorative Beijing composed selected work JMJ Shanghai. But return to China was from this Album in 1982 year on letters of -lists-hits-success- in Poland final work number repeatable fine not one 1. Repeatable work menancholia, case-together-time to this Album not :sad: 8) .
Change.
Post Posted Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 pm
radek tymecki

jeanbatman wrote:
(...)
8. Magnetic Fields 1
(...)
Was there the full version of that song ?
No. Probably it was mistake
Post Posted Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Yeah, I'm sure the 6 minutes you can hear on the bootleg was just D. Perrier forgetting his electric razor on.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl