BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
The Concerts in China
Pat Gleeson 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am   

Does anyone know the tracklist for the Chinese 1 LP pressing of the Concerts in China ?

There was some information regarding this release on fanzines in the early 90's, and more with a photo here :

http://alnr.chez-alice.fr...biojarreuk.html (Scroll down 2/3rd's the page)

While we're all thinking about that, does anyone know someone at China's CCTV who has a TV recording of any of the China Concerts :D

Now there's a DVD extra if I ever saw one :smoke:

Jon 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:52 am   

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Does anyone know the tracklist for the Chinese 1 LP pressing of the Concerts in China ?

There was some information regarding this release on fanzines in the early 90's, and more with a photo here :

http://alnr.chez-alice.fr...biojarreuk.html (Scroll down 2/3rd's the page)

While we're all thinking about that, does anyone know someone at China's CCTV who has a TV recording of any of the China Concerts :D

Now there's a DVD extra if I ever saw one :smoke:

This has been brought up a few times in the past. Nothing come up on the "search"?

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "

matt222 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm   

If you watch the video footage of Equinoxe 5, Jarre is seen flitting from one keyboard to another playing the main melody ( as is Perrier ) and then the bass line - only when his fingers play in time to the bassline, he hits 2 notes together. The bass is a mono line. Not real playing there. Anyway, what happens when he stops playing the bassline and shoots over to play the main melody again - in reality it doesn't ring true at all just like when he played those enormous magic keyboards - swapping from one sound to another.ALL SHOW.

An understanding of the scores for these pieces is an insight into how much miming Jarre does.

The China concert performances where claimed to be entirely live and I believe they were - just listen to how Equinoxe 4 differs from the album version. Reason being, no way he could re-create it perfectly on stage live - too many random noise manipulations to replicate. Equinoxe 5 on the vhs is just the original vinyl recording I believe put in when the video was edited.

Jakob BC 
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm   

The miming subject is old news and yes CiC was live. For the CIC album release, JMJ did some studio editing on some of the tracks.

Finaero 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 pm   

Oh my god, JMJ has mimed? :shock: :P

Anyhow, I'm still wondering who was the genius who seriously named 20 seconds of ping pong or whatever as Les Chants Magnetiques I instead of including that stuff at the end of the track that came before it (Orient Express, mmmaybe?).

I guess it was effective enough for one TV broadcast of PLD to actually subtitle the ping pong ball sounds in the beginning of PLD's Souvenir of China "Magnetic Fields 1", only to change to "Souvenir of China" not that long afterwards. :p:

(Then again, the same broadcast actually called the intro to MF2 "Diva"... weird stuff)

tinmachine 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 pm   

Yes, I felt a bit disappointed back in 1989 when I bought the double CD release of Concerts In China, to think how much of a rip-off Magnetic Fields 1 was - 21 seconds of ping pong sounds to serve as an intro to Magnetic Fields 3. And then to find out Band In The Rain was Equinoxe 8 and Last Rumba was Magnetic Fields 5!

Not a bad album, but sometimes I wish he'd have just done a studio album of the new tracks.

By the way, hadn't heard about he Diva caption for PLD MF2, but I have always thought the introduction sounded very Diva-like! As I've said in other posts, the new versions of tracks played at PLD were outstanding, and was the one concert that really deserved an album release!

Finaero 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 pm   

Yeah I think JMJ even used some Diva samples but definitely some Laurie Anderson leftover materials.

Also, the radio broadcast of the first concert is also a bit mysterious... with all the "NOBODY CLAPPED" stories and yet you can still hear applause every now and then (albeit not really during the songs themselves) even though they might be a bit refined... and after MF2 the audience noises go somewhat more audible and the Chinese announceress says something and then that random music that plays after Equinoxe 7 on the album plays... so I guess it wasn't a direct broadcast anyhow.

moviemaker 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:33 am   

Live or edited... The Concerts In China album is f^*king brilliant!

Quintessential Jarre and an album that never grows old.

End of discussion.

AnDrOiD 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:39 pm   

All live albums are processed in a studio.

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

Jakob BC 
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm   

AnDrOiD wrote:

Depends on what you mean. In this case other instruments were added, besides the studio tracks.

AnDrOiD 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:49 pm   

Jakob BC wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:

Depends on what you mean. In this case other instruments were added, besides the studio tracks.

I mean all kind of processing, including adding sounds. An official live album is never just released as recorded at the event.

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

Jon 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm   

Finaero wrote:
Oh my god, JMJ has mimed? :shock: :P

I know, came as a shock to me aswell :mrgreen:

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "

Finaero 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:51 pm   

AnDrOiD wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:

I mean all kind of processing, including adding sounds. An official live album is never just released as recorded at the event.

Wow, Captain Obvious :p: , everything that has ever been published has gone through processing in one way or the other. If you want straight recordings, you should watch/read/listen to/eat bootlegs :P

AnDrOiD 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:09 pm   

I'm just saying cos not all people seem to be aware of this. :roll:

Some albums are even just played live in a studio with added audience noise. Whether this is the case with CiC, or not, shall remain unknown. :P :pwned:

Listening to the raw live recordings, I'd say there's a pretty big chance that that is the case. :punch:

Finaero 

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 pm   

... which was from the first gig that had noticeably less power and a different audience. Or maybe JMJ hired a bunch of French-Chinese to look happy for the concert video as well? :punch:

Reply to topic