Warning: include(/nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/cache/board_config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: include(): Failed opening './cache/board_config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.6.21/share/pear') in /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 546

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h04/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 547
:: View topic - The Concerts in China
Warning ! cookie path is empty! Check in in the Admin Control Panel or set it in the PhpMyAdmin table: prefix_config - cookie_path row
 Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
The Concerts in China
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Posted:     [ !!! ]

[quote="moviemaker"][quote="Jakob BC"]Im quite sure a DVD of the recent Oxygene tour doesn't excist. otherwise I have missed something :wink:[/quote]

Didn't read between the lines my friend... the um, err meant: UNofficial DVD... :P[/quote]

I see :wink:

Analog-Umph

[quote="moviemaker"]Probably already posted here before but another announcement regarding Concerts In China DVD being released by ezydvd in Australia:

Jean-Michel Jarre - The Concerts In China (802599)
Coming Soon! Pre-Order Now - Available Monday, 12 January 2009

[URL=http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802599?ref=www.dvdplaza.com.au]http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802599?ref=www.dvdplaza.com.au[/URL]

I'm assuming this is the video just transferred to DVD. Maybe you could confirm for us analog-umph?[/quote]

On it! 8)

Finaero

Received the new DVD today... it's in a standard DVD case and doesn't look that special. The menu looks neat (better than the Moscow DVD) but it only has 3 chapters... so yeah, the video is just split to 3 parts and they call those "chapters". Suspecting that some Australian TV broadcast has probably used the same division so they just put it on the DVD as well.

As for the picture quality, well, it's pretty standard fare as well. It's definitely better than all the fanmade VHS->DVD transfers but makes one still hope for a proper remastering of the video (and audio, probably) someday. When viewed on my PC it had some odd artifacts on top of the screen but they were missing when I checked it on my TV. There was still some random box with some interference on the upper right corner around the end credits.

NO new footage probably... in MF2 there were some shots I didn't remember seeing ever but I haven't watched the concert video in ages so I might have just forgotten them. So in any case, the concert video is still nice but has way too much non-concert filler footage. Anyway, it's a nice addition to the collection if you can get it for like 11 euros or so like I did.

Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

I don't know why but I didn't see this before now, but indeed cool as long as it's official, or whatever such a release is called :P

GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Thanks for the info - I don't have a VCR, so anything professionally transferred to DVD sounds good to me. 8)

Pat Gleeson

My copy should be with me in a week or so.

Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

I pre-ordered my copy from eBay. So should be with me sometime in April, I hope. :p:

Beelooo

[quote="moviemaker"]Probably already posted here before but another announcement regarding Concerts In China DVD being released by ezydvd in Australia:

Jean-Michel Jarre - The Concerts In China (802599)
Coming Soon! Pre-Order Now - Available Monday, 12 January 2009

[URL=http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802599?ref=www.dvdplaza.com.au]http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802599?ref=www.dvdplaza.com.au[/URL] [/quote]

Hmmm i rather like my original VHS of Concert in China !! ^^^ :nod:

jp8000

I should order the dvd, but will do that later

Dr_Jones

The DVD is in, region 1-8, so everyone can play it.

Kanta

That is correct and the description on eBay was region 0. :fine:

Pat Gleeson

Hi Kanta - and everyone ! :D

I received the DVD today from here - very good service - recommended:

[URL=http://www.mightyape.co.nz/]http://www.mightyape.co.nz/[/URL]

First thoughts: Video very good, at least compared to the original VHS release. There has been some cleaning up of the image rather than a full restoration, but a big improvement.
Now here's the thing: the above statement is all the more surprising as it's obvoius at the end of the film that it has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast!
At the end there is a promo from an Australian continuity annoncer about the availability of a double album of the Concerts in China. :D

The audio is disappointing - the original mono track is still very flat, with little improvemnent in the dynamic rage or placement - average at best - but better than the VHS.

The menus are quite nice - the film has been split into three parts (chapters): The Setup / Beijing, Equinoxe 5, and Shanghai. I'm not sure why the tracks weren't used as chapter points.

The original English titles are reinstated for this release, rather than the French ones used in the VHS.

See below for screengrabs:

[URL=http://www.flickr.com/photos/patgleeson/sets/72157615376294738/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/patgleeson/sets/72157615376294738/[/URL]

All in all a worthwhile release, and well worth upgrading from your worn out VHS or DVD rip. :D

jarrekid

[quote="Pat Gleeson"]the film has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast![/quote]

[quote="Pat Gleeson"]The menus are quite nice - the film has been split into three parts (chapters): The Setup / Beijing, Equinoxe 5, and Shanghai. I'm not sure why the tracks weren't used as chapter points.[/quote]

:idea: That explains it then - The video was broadcast on Australian TV. The edit for TV has been used for the DVD release. Therefore, the DVD takes the three parts that were shown on TV. I'm guessing that they're all of similar length? It explains why each part begins with a title frame saying "Part 1" etc. to show after the ad break.

Pat Gleeson

[quote="jarrekid"]

:idea: That explains it then - The video was broadcast on Australian TV. The edit for TV has been used for the DVD release. Therefore, the DVD takes the three parts that were shown on TV. I'm guessing that they're all of similar length? It explains why each part begins with a title frame saying "Part 1" etc. to show after the ad break.[/quote]

That's exactly it - I hadn't thought of that until now. :D
I must say it's unusual indeed that a direct transfer from a TV archive - break bumpers promos etc. and all - is on an official release.

Kanta

[quote="Pat Gleeson"]Hi Kanta - and everyone ! :D

I received the DVD today from here - very good service - recommended:

[URL=http://www.mightyape.co.nz/]http://www.mightyape.co.nz/[/URL]

First thoughts: Video very good, at least compared to the original VHS release. There has been some cleaning up of the image rather than a full restoration, but a big improvement.
Now here's the thing: the above statement is all the more surprising as it's obvoius at the end of the film that it has been directly transferred from an Australian TV broadcast!
At the end there is a promo from an Australian continuity annoncer about the availability of a double album of the Concerts in China. :D

The audio is disappointing - the original mono track is still very flat, with little improvemnent in the dynamic rage or placement - average at best - but better than the VHS.

The menus are quite nice - the film has been split into three parts (chapters): The Setup / Beijing, Equinoxe 5, and Shanghai. I'm not sure why the tracks weren't used as chapter points.

The original English titles are reinstated for this release, rather than the French ones used in the VHS.

See below for screengrabs:

[URL=http://www.flickr.com/photos/patgleeson/sets/72157615376294738/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/patgleeson/sets/72157615376294738/[/URL]

All in all a worthwhile release, and well worth upgrading from your worn out VHS or DVD rip. :D[/quote]
Hi Pat. :D Thanxs a lot for your review. A very good read. 8) I am still excited to receive my copy which was shipped out last week. So should not have long to wait.

Pat Gleeson

[quote="Kanta"]Hi Pat. :D Thanxs a lot for your review. A very good read. 8) I am still excited to receive my copy which was shipped out last week. So should not have long to wait.[/quote]

Ta failte romhat :D

Seeing as it's St. Patricks Day tomorrow, I thought I'd reply in Irish: it means you're welcome. :D

BTW it's worth the wait, I watched it again just now.

Kanta

That does not surprise me. These sort of DVDs don't come by very often. 8)

Happy St. Patrick's Day for tomorrow. :D

Pat Gleeson

[quote="Kanta"]That does not surprise me. These sort of DVDs don't come by very often. 8)

Happy St. Patrick's Day for tomorrow. :D[/quote]

Thanks - and here's a coincidence - the release date for the original VHS ?
17th March 1991 :D

Kanta

:shock: , that is so bizarre. 8) Or should that be bejarre? :punch:

Pat Gleeson

Here's something else - hold onto your hats - there is an extra 1 minutes worth of footage of Magnetic Fields 1 that is most definitely not on the VHS - I checked (twice).

It shows extended footage of the last minute of the track and is superb. A reason alone to get this disc ! :D The track is still shorter than the Radio Broadcast version, but a nice edition.

It proves that there must be unreleased footage out there somewhere, or at least slightly different edits of the film for different TV markets.

Finaero

Ooh, I was thinking there was some extra footage somewhere but I thought that was in MF2.

Good to know about that, though! :pwned:

Analog-Umph

[quote="Pat Gleeson"]Here's something else - hold onto your hats - there is an extra 1 minutes worth of footage of Magnetic Fields 1 that is most definitely not on the VHS - I checked (twice).

It shows extended footage of the last minute of the track and is superb. A reason alone to get this disc ! :D [/quote]

Geez I didn't know ezy-dvd had representatives all the way in Ireland. :punch:

Pat Gleeson

[quote="Analog-Umph"]
Geez I didn't know ezy-dvd had representatives all the way in Ireland. :punch:[/quote]

:nod:

I got it from Mighty Ape, and I was delighted to see footage I hadn't before :D

fklee

I get my copy too very quickly and with a very good service from Australia.

from devoteddvd.

Nice just not time to look at it. :wink:

Kanta

I ordered a copy from devoteddvd via eBay. The estimated arrival in my hands should be 26 March 2009. :clap: :punch:

[ REPLY ]