Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)

Post Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:46 pm
Robi

Robi wrote:
Big time wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:Tell U2 they shouldn't play "Where the streets have no name" anymore...

Or Paul Mc Cartney "Yesterday"...

This was OK 20 years ago... :)
You can´t compare U2 with Jarre, U2 is rock, and if they play "Where the streets have no name" on a big festival/or on their own tour, it will sound big, rocky and modern enough. Why? Well, co´s it´s Rock! If Jarre plays out Oxygene 4 on a big festival, well... It will STILL sound like the track from 76´ being performed in 2012... Did I really have to explain that for you? :D
Why would cause shock if people would listen to track of 1976 in 2012?
Beside , anyway, it is more than true that he MUST do concerts with BRAND new tracks, but skipping a hit just because some people think "why a '76 music in 2012".....hmm.... :)

It is merely ridiculous to think for Jarre only in this issue. The majority of musical acts should then forget their initial, breakthrough hits.
I agree with BigTime

Oxy4 is a classic track with a classic cult following. It does not fit into a festival. A festival does not cater for the "older" generation. Festivals are mainly packed out with younger blood whose most likely have never heard of JMJ, but would probably recognise something he has done from other artists who have used his music in their own works. Then the younger gen would assume Jarre was copying those artists. Jarre has to use something more uplifting and kisch/modern that would appeal to festival-go'ers.

If JMJ was to take an approcah like Electronic Night, that could work better. Get todays artists performing and mixing alongside Jarre. Take for example the music fetivals here in the UK. The other weekend we had Glastonbury. One act on stage was 'Pendulum' who did a modern dance version of 'The Eve of the War' from The War of the Worlds album by Jeff Wayne. That was released in 1978 as a orchestral/synth album. Yet mixed up today and with a modern act, it sounds fresh again

This is just an example, but one I thnk Jarre really does need to follow. It worked in 1998, it can still work. Old style tracks are all very well live in concerts, but festivals work differantly depending on the artist. Acts like U2 and Pet Shop Boys sell themselves at festivals, but it because of the status they have built up. Jarre, although a leader in electronics, is still largely forgotten in todays music.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 pm
tinmachine

Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!!
Post Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 pm
chronos

tinmachine wrote:Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!!

Just listening to the denmark AERO concert, am sure that style would work at Glasto. My neigbours are loving it at the moment!
Post Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:42 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 pm
chronos

shadow wrote:Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...

nooooo, not the stuff at the gdansk/china/desert aero....

I find the denmark aero rather punchy and upbeat and very very different to the gigs mentioned above.
Post Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 am
Stereomatic

Likes received  : 1

Kraftwerk played a lot of festivals in the past. Most of the tracks they performed are from the 70s or 80s.
Ups, they even played Autobahn from 1974! Such an old track for the younger generation??
It worked fantasctic!
If Jarre plays Oxygene 4 or Equinoxe 5 at festivals I think it will work to a younger generation because that music is timeless. And that is the great thing about festivals that you can hear a lot of different artists with different styles. So why not Jarre? Perhaps there are a lot of younger people who will be grateful to know Jarre.

I hope he will NEVER do a DJ-Set in his life!
Post Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

We need to knock Jarre out and steal those recordings... Then atleast we can have good transfers, rather then awfull remastering :punch:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Kanta wrote:Image
Do you have them in readable format too?
Post Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 pm
Robi

Robi wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
Kanta wrote:Image
Do you have them in readable format too?
second on this question
Third on this question.
Post Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am
Starcat

Starcat wrote:
Robi wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote: Do you have them in readable format too?
second on this question
Third on this question.
This is the only size I came across.
Starcat =* *=
Post Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Hi
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm
Robi

thanks for the effort. Though it's unreadable, means it's unfortunately nothing.
Post Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 am
qube

If he's playing a festival with a younger audience that's possibly not familiar with his work then I think he can play any of the tracks he likes but would need specific remixes / versions catered for the event(s) otherwise he'd risk being labelled as cheesy.

A chap in his 60's with dyed hair leaping about bashing cymbals is going to struggle.

Doesn't mean he'll have to do dance remixes or anything like that, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk could do a very sober set and earn massive respect from a younger crowd.

Playing with a full orchestra please, bring back the drummer and bass-player too, and no Mag 2!
Post Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 am
Robi

qube wrote:and no Mag 2!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

was waste to mention it...

• 2020 Zoolook.nl