BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Unedited Waiting for Cousteau
AERO62 

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:38 pm   Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

Quote:
Jarre utilised the unedited version as an ambient audience "warm-up" in the hours prior to the Paris la Defense concert in 1990 (and also in many concerts after this "first"), played on the specially installed public address sound system scattered throughout Paris for this event.

Hours? Does that mean there's a "raw" un-released version that runs for hours ? I'd love to hear it :)

So far I thought the longest one was at Concert D'images and lasted 60 minutes. This file Download was in the database and even though it's labeled "concertd'images", I'm not sure if it is indeed what it says it is. I checked the recording and apparently someone had just copied the last 15 minutes to extend it. (Notice how some of the fans just love doing stuff like that... making fake lossless or fake-versions.) So, unless it was indeed played that way at the exhibition, which I doubt, then we still haven't really heard the 60 minute version.

Meanwhile I came across another interesting recording. A 50 minute version which sounds a bit different from the original and ends kinda abruptly (Could it be a part of the unedited variation?). The file is named - "En Attendant Cousteau (Concert Pour La Tolerance)". Here's the link if you want to check it out - 50minute_tolerance
So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.

So , can anyone shed some light on this and has anybody ever heard a version longer than 45-50 minutes?

melo 

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm   

During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 pm   Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

AERO62 wrote:
So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

AERO62 

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 pm   Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

GeeJee wrote:
AERO62 wrote:

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

Wow that's interesting. Then it's probably mislabeled, doesn't sound like fake. I'll try listening more attentively to spot ehmm.. something. Now we have to figure out where it came from.

Phil J. 

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 am   Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

GeeJee wrote:
Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

That's absolutely true. I was there. Thankfully, someone did have a copy; don't know if they ever got it back though.

Dr_Jones 

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:21 pm   

Yes, they got it back, signed by JMJ

Velodynamic 

Anti-bot filter: velody
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:03 pm   

melo wrote:
During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?

This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1fFZoVSJow

( http://www.mediafire.com/...m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )

AnDrOiD 

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 pm   

Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

AERO62 

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:09 pm   

AnDrOiD wrote:
Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:

But where's the fun in that.. :wink:

I tried to compare the original to the 50 min version. They are different. I may be wrong but the latter one sounds like the same fragment is repeated throughout the track. There's no ending nor beginning. I think I can also hear one new sound effect a few times, or it could be just an illusion because the recording is so overmodulated. It might as well be a real concertd'images version or just another joke from some fan.

qube 

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:21 pm   

It's fractal music so theoretically it should last forever without ever repeating.

Just need the algorithm to generate the MIDI data and leave it running.

chronos

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 am   

thought that this was some friking joke!!

Waiting for Cousteau extended remix edition??

tinmachine 

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am   

At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4!

Dr_Jones 

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 am   

tinmachine wrote:
At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4!

And that was the highlight of that whole concert :?

thhedk 

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 am   Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

AERO62 wrote:
I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.
Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.

I think the song sound cool, but I am a bit dissapointed that he didn't found place for some more exiting bits in it.

I used it two days ago, for what it is perfect for - aqaurium video/photos :)
Denmarks Aquarium

thhedk 

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:03 pm   Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

thhedk wrote:

Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.

at 34min 19 sec

4 sec in this clip, something is cutted.

Reply to topic