Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:12 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

thhedk wrote:
AERO62 wrote:I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:
Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.
Well anyone could do that. But what if in there's new non-repeating parts in the unedited version...
thhedk wrote:
thhedk wrote: Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.
at 34min 19 sec

4½ sec in this clip, something is cutted.
Great find! I just checked the mysterious/fake concertd'images version to see if there's a similar cut and guess what- there's actually a different tune playing at that time :shock: . So maybe it is real after all. But then why would Jarre so sloppily extend it by reattaching the last fragment ? I'm confused..

One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

AERO62 wrote:One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?
Yes it is - the exact timing is 46'53", but timings vary from that to 46'57" with the difference being silence at the end.
In relation to the other versions, I was at the Concert D' Images exhibition and I remember the music being pretty much the same as the official release, but it's such a long time ago now it's impossible to compare. I took me a few listens to the CD release to actually remember where I heard the music before. :)
I do seem to remember that WFC was a perfect accompaniment to an exhibition.
Unfortunately the staff were of little help and steadfastly ignored all efforts by people asking about the music, and even resorting to confiscating cameras to stop photography ...
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm
DJoA

Velodynamic wrote:
melo wrote:During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?
This one?

( http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )

i was also wondering what this track was.... you know something more velodynamic? :roll: :roll:
Listen to the music spin,
around the planet and lets, come together...

I fly in the sky, I fly like a sputnik...

Gagarin
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 pm
tinmachine

Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.

I have the cassette album, but I'm not that technical minded to create an mp3 of it (the same goes for my cassette of Equinoxe with the non-CD mix of Part 5, but that's another topic!).

I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 pm
AnDrOiD

tinmachine wrote:I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?
No such thing on mine.
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 pm
tinmachine

Ok, have to check EBay now for a new CD of WFC!!!
Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 pm
AERO62

tinmachine wrote:Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.
Aw.. I've never heard that mix.

Can somebody else who owns the cassette or vinyl digitize it (in lossless preferrably :mrgreen: ) ?
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm
AERO62

Here's another difference I just spotted. In concertdimages there's one effect missing. I don't know how to explain it properly but on CD you can hear this sort of like constant 'crystals' effect in the background, while there's none on the other 2 versions.

So every mix is different. But which one is really unedited ? Probably none of them, because not one hits 1 hour mark, and if we trust wikipedia then there should be hours-long track. Maybe it's in the studio somewhere.. Wish I could ask JMJ directly.. Does he even read these forums :lol: ?
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

AFAIK, the vinyl version of Waiting for Cousteau is identical to the CD version (only half as short of course).
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:19 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Thank's Velodynamic for WFC mix by Monaco. :bravo:
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:39 pm
tinmachine

Dr_Jones wrote:AFAIK, the vinyl version of Waiting for Cousteau is identical to the CD version (only half as short of course).
No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score. It isn't the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version. If I recall correctly, the 22 minute version doesn't feature the excerpt heard on the PLD video (approx 4-6 minutes into the CD version).
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm
Pat Gleeson

Dr_Jones wrote: No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score.
The LP has the same edit as the cassette. The whole scope of the piece edited to 22 mins.
I'm hoping to upload it to the database very soon.
Concerts attended:
Paris la Defense 1990
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Pat Gleeson wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote: No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score.
The LP has the same edit as the cassette. The whole scope of the piece edited to 22 mins.
I'm hoping to upload it to the database very soon.
Hey, I didn't say that, you're quoting the wrong person!

So in other words: the LP and the Cassette should have the same edit, but I said the LP has the same, but shorter, version as on the CD, so the cassette should have that too.
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:44 pm
qube

This track is definitely the one I play the most of JMJ's work, no matter how crappy or stressed I feel it just sorts me out.

I played it in its entirety at my wedding as the guests arrived!
Post Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 pm
Pat Gleeson

tinmachine wrote: No, well the cassette version isn't. For those who can read sheet music, the WFC songbook has the 22 minute score.
Is that better ? :D
Concerts attended:
Paris la Defense 1990

• 2020 Zoolook.nl