I am not the fan of JMJ anymore like many years ago....

Post Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 pm
Robi

Robi wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:He's working on his new album.

Give him a break!
:|
The neverending new album?

DJoa, we are all on the same opinion, more or less.

i'm happy to read this, that i'm not alone ;)
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am
Pat Gleeson
Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

docklands88 wrote: that's what I am trying to say, if Jean Michel really wanted the concerts to be released they would. But he does not, whether due to money or artistic dissatisfaction.
Jarre has (as yet) no control over his pre-Aero concert recordings, although he has the power to veto any release he has issue with. FDM tried to licence releases of CiC, Houston and La Defense, but JMJ didn't want them to release bare bones, sub-par product (read: didn't want FDM to release ANY product).

The way record companies are now, it may never happen - JMJ doesn't appear to have a functioning record deal at the moment ....
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:15 pm
Cryptic Era

I was like some of you guys. Fanatical about his stuff during the 80's, but I kind of gave up on Jarre after Oxygene 7-13. I heard about the Metamorphosis album and as soon as I heard he was using vocals I wrote it off without ever listening to it. 5 or 6 years later I started to listen to his music again and rediscovered how timeless Oxygene and Equinoxe are.
I then decided to use Ebay to update my collection with all his newer albums (Sessions 2000, Metamorphosis, etc), and I was very surprised how good Metamorphosis actually is. Of course, it doesn't sound like Jarre at all, but I had to give the guy credit for very well produced album. But, I don't expect the next few years (until his retirement) to bring us anything as outstanding as Oxygene, Equinoxe or Rendez-vous. But we already have those timeless classics so why try to re-invent the wheel.

With regards to his Aero ipad/ipod devices, they are just a simple speaker system so I think his talents are wasted. He should have ploughed his cash into instrument development or set up a joint venture with Novation or Korg. Synths like the EKS VCS3 and the RMI have legendary sound qualities to them. Jarre knows this market well and should have marketed his own analog synth brands.
Kind Regards, Simon.

Instruments : Roland (SH-101, D550, M-VS1, AX7), Korg (EX-8000, DS-8, M1R, MS2000, KR55 & 55B), Ensoniq Mirage, Novation Super Bass Station, Electrix Warp Factory, Univox SR95, Electro Harmonix Small Stone x2
Post Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:22 pm
jeanbatman
Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

Equinoxe wrote:(...) the excitement was there because it was long periods of time between projects that when they did happen it was such a major event for me that is was quite special, (...)
Exactly what's going on now with the new album. :fine:
Post Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:15 pm
keran
Likes received  : 1

jeanbatman wrote:
Equinoxe wrote:(...) the excitement was there because it was long periods of time between projects that when they did happen it was such a major event for me that is was quite special, (...)
What new album, which doesn't come...
Post Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:25 pm
Robi

keran wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:
What new album, which doesn't come...
It comes every time, since years... :mrgreen:
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 pm
Finaero
Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

The people who wanted Equinoxe 5 back into his concert tracklisting are now the same people who complain that he hasn't changed the tracklisting in years. If the new album comes out, the same people who are now criticizing him for not having released a new album in years will be the ones saying that the new album sucks.
Post Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:08 pm
jeanbatman

What's the matter on when the "album" is released ?

You may know Kraftwerk worked 12 years on an album... Didn't loose its fans and still is the most important band in electronic music...

All the "good-bye album" theories are pleasant reading, but trickery at the same time.
Just like if you're writing a review of a book that's not over yet.
Post Posted Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:41 pm
Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 9

I gave up on Mike Oldfield several around the release of Guitars. Today it's only re-releases and remasters. Just like Jarre. Most of Mike Odlfield's later releases only contained one or two tracks I liked. But then he released "Music of the Spheres" which is now one of my favourite albums!
Post Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm
GlennFolkvord

Interesting topic. But what I find interesting about it, is how rarely people realize that THEY have changed, thanks to things they cannot control, like growing up and the internet. Everyone's experiences, memories, and refined thoughts are changing us... these things taking into account, mean more to how we perceive JMJ than what he does or doesnt do.

To me it is very clear that Jarre has not lost his creativity - doing a megaconcert at some skyskrapers supported by a new album that sounds like Equinoxe every two years, that isnt creativity, that is repeating a successful formula. Doing a stadium tour, then an arena tour, then a concert hall tour, then a couple of jazz albums, then the urban dancey T&T album, working with 3D and surround, designing hifi systems, taking on "small" megaconcerts (still big enough to outdo most artists) to be able to work in new places.... all this means JMJ is getting new ideas, and taking on new challenges. THAT is creativity - creativity is NOT making nice tunes with analogue synths than sounds like Oxygene, again. Very few artists dare to do things outside their comfort zone, partially because they cannot dream up different things than what they can sell as in the past. It's even creative in my book to NOT release a new album in a few years, because every single other artist does release albums every year and it's the old formula that everyone expects. It seems that the definition and recognition of creativity is very narrow and that people forget that JMJ has been more active the last decade than in any previous decade! His projects are just smaller, but that is only because they were so incredibly big in the past.
Post Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 am
Pat Gleeson
Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

I agree as usual with most of what you say Glenn. My observation vis a vis JMJ is sometimes he gets fixated on something to the point it starts to get repetitive.
Take EiC. It was great to see him play the accordian on that tour, but then he played that card over and over again on subsequent concerts.
Same thing again with the Oxygene Tour of 1997 with the Theremin - great idea, but since been done to death.
I had really had enough up to the Merzouga concert which was the culmination of a series of concerts that were abysmal - no more than that 2004 Beijing gig which ruined the memory of the peerless China concerts in 1981. Then JMJ pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the extraordinary Marigny concerts and subsequent tour. He's now decided that the best thing about these concerts was the tour concept and we're back to 'music by numbers, concerts by rote' albeit with live interpretation.
JMJ does innovate for sure it's just musically at least, it's not a priority at the moment.
And I'm getting older .....
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:49 am
jeanbatman

Pat Gleeson wrote:I agree as usual with most of what you say Glenn. My observation vis a vis JMJ is sometimes he gets fixated on something to the point it starts to get repetitive...
Still.... He quitted barrel organ. He quitted circular keyboards... He quitted DJ set... He quitted tubular bells... He quitted Dynacord guitar... He quitted 5.1. concerts... He quitted VJaing... He quitted Doepfer Ribbon... He quitted his Giant Pads...

Probably he'll drop Chrono 6 and the accordion for the upcoming tour...

He's going wherever he feels he is more comfortable with.
Post Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 am
Black Bird

GlennFolkvord wrote: ......To me it is very clear that Jarre has not lost his creativity - doing a megaconcert at some skyskrapers supported by a new album that sounds like Equinoxe every two years, that isnt creativity, that is repeating a successful formula. Doing a stadium tour, then an arena tour, then a concert hall tour, then a couple of jazz albums, then the urban dancey T&T album, working with 3D and surround, designing hifi systems, taking on "small" megaconcerts (still big enough to outdo most artists) to be able to work in new places.... all this means JMJ is getting new ideas, and taking on new challenges. THAT is creativity - creativity is NOT making nice tunes with analogue synths than sounds like Oxygene, again. .....
Yes, it`s creativity in other ways. Perhaps it´s not easy to concentrate on only one thing today. We don`t live in the 80`s or 90`s. Now the world is fast-paced and he needs to work much on more things.
Post Posted Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:44 pm
jeanbatman

keran wrote:(...) When he did something special, TVs followed him all day long, with concerts, backstages, rehearsals... Interviews, magazine covers... Big national TVs like France 2 or TF1 fighted to show his concerts and moved all their programms to follow the show. (...)
This is an overstatement : For how long haven't these French television channel programmed any concert from any major artist at all ?
No-one except Johnny Hallyday (whose producer was the same than Jarre's one in the 90's, BTW...)

It's not because Jarre isn't aired by French TV that his shows aren't as great as in the past...

Television and music have divorced long ago when it comes down to business... Sports are much more profit-making... In France, at least.
Post Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 am
docklands88

docklands88 wrote:
...all of this is my own opinion of course, and I really hope that JMJ surprises me with the new album when its released in 2015 :punch:

Haha, my release date prediction 4 years ago turned out to be pretty accurate :mrgreen:
Concerts Attended :

Tour 2010: Cardiff CIA 06/10/10
Electronica World Tour: Cardiff CIA 04/10/16

Favorite Concert: Destination Docklands 1988

• 2020 Zoolook.nl