Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Remastered Albums 2014 and 2015

Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:12 am
Sobtanian

Yes I agree with you there, some of his tracks are dance-y so this kinda remastering makes them a bit more clubby. However it doesn't justiy the technique and mistakes at all.

My main issue with the sleeves is that the back sleeves are all stylised as "Jean-Michel Jarre" while the fronts of only Zoolook and Revolutions are the same. The rest don't have the hyphen.

This gives the impression that two separate teams worked on the sleeve, or someone was asleep while doing it. It's really frustrating, you would have thought that a huge amount of effort went into re-releasing such a rich back catalogue, not a job my 5 year old son could have done at school.
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 am
Sobtanian

I put together a quick video comparing the first minute of Rendezvous 2, from original CD and 2015 remaster.

In case you need to show someone and cry, here it is:

Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm
Robi

contact@yakudaaudio.com

David Perreau awaiting your advices, comments.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:18 pm
synthmann

Sobtanian wrote:I put together a quick video comparing the first minute of Rendezvous 2, from original CD and 2015 remaster.

I played this clip and the disaster is so obvious! I played it on macbook air internal speakers at the dining table and my girfriend on the couch could hear how false the remaster sounds.

Didn't anyone do a final check on these?

I haven't spent any money on remasters, not these and not the previous ones, and will never do. My old versions from back in the early nineties are just fine and I've imported those lossless as Wav files into iTunes anyway so hardly need for the physical disc anymore. This remastering is just marketing blabla.
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:05 pm
Big time

Sobtanian wrote:I put together a quick video comparing the first minute of Rendezvous 2, from original CD and 2015 remaster.

Oh my god, that is both disturbing and amateurish.. :shock:

How this is possible is beyond me..
King of smileys :D
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

There must have been some very bad studio equipments in use here.
If this would be what the master tape really sounded like the older remasters must have sounded way way better then the master tape. It's funny we've had a lot of complains about the sound from the older remasters but now after these 2015 remasters all of a sudden the older ones seems like "top notch" in comparison. If someone doesn't have any physical ex. of these albums and wants to buy the CD's I would suggest them to look on Ebay or the second hand market for the old remasters. If you want to support Jean Michel Jarre this is not the right way to do it. You're handing over your hard earned money to Sony and David for destroying old musical masterpieces!
This is like ordering a dish with too much sugar or salt on it. "The customer is always right" is a no-no in today's music industry.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:33 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Yeah, despite their oddities I never really minded the 1997 remasters (and in the case of Rendez-Vous 2 from 1997 Cities in Concert, it's still the most epic sounding version of that track ever), but now they really seem like true works of art compared to this.

Of course, if the 1997 remastering process is to blame for some of the 2014-2015 ones' oddities (considering the glitches in Ethnicolor I and Chronologie 4 being the same), well, damn them!

The whole 2014-2015 remastering just reeks of amateurisum, from the shoddily edited front cover art of Equinoxe to the pitching gobcrap on Rendez-Vous 2. It's likely that since JMJ is essentially a "nobody" to them, they're just not going to put any effort in the process. Kind of paradoxical if they expect to get any money out of them, but eh.

As a side note, I think it'd be interesting to catalogue down what the truly best versions of JMJ albums really are (expecting MFSL LP versions of Oxygene and Equinoxe to be on the lead, I wasn't impressed by the CD ones).
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:04 pm
Velodynamic

Finaero wrote: As a side note, I think it'd be interesting to catalogue down what the truly best versions of JMJ albums really are (expecting MFSL LP versions of Oxygene and Equinoxe to be on the lead, I wasn't impressed by the CD ones).
Personal favourite is the 10th anniversary 8-compact disc set from 1987 I believe. The best bargain I ever dug out from Ebay. It's a hands down killer. Those Polydore discs sounds absolutely amazing imo. Should've been fun to see some digital level cuves from them. ;)
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:56 pm
Jon

Likes received  : 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what is the point in supporting the artists when rubbish like this is released. The buying of such material, in such sub-par quality, only proves there is a demand for such sub-par quality released material. It does the fans no good, it does the artist no good. But it benefits the record label. Who are we supporting here, the artist or the record label!? My comments here are not and I repeat NOT a post on telling the fans what to spend their money on, but if we are to spend money on such terrible produced and released material we are partially to blame when low standard releases are released because we funded it in the first place. These releases are a prime example that all because his masters name is on the cover does not mean what we hear is of the masters quality. And I bet it doesn't stop with JMJ. Reading reviews, listening to excerpts and such has prompted me NOT to go ahead and spend my money of these new releases. They sound terrible. I'm not buying a sleeve, I'm buying the music and when classic music like this is distorted to such a level its just a waste of money. I will keep with my originals which cost me considerably less and will continue to give me much more listening pleasure.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:45 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I should stop trying to listen to these new remasters, now I keep hearing the pitch change in the original version of RV2 as well >.<

Only now did I notice the misspelling of Calypso as "Capypso" on Spotify. This is just getting beyond absurd. I think I'll stop repeating myself over these issues and just forget about these.

Heck, I even gave Sobtanian's YT link to my father who agreed that the new remaster sounded atrocious and then mused on how it makes sense how vinyl records are still being made. I don't know if I should mention to him that the vinyl version of Essentials and Rarities was screwed up as well :P (So much for being able to count on the vinyl versions sounding more properly mastered...)

@Velodynamic: Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I can find one for a nice price at some point, people honestly think that someone's gonna pay 99-400 € for them on eBay at the moment. :P
Post Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:01 am
Robi

Róbert János Gyurján

http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.p ... 316#191316

David Perreau

Yes yes... On the other hand jean Michel received many and many thanks and messages about the new remastering because the older were sounding to small and so... Very difficult to satisfy everybody and espaclly fans:-) now about "David destroy..." Again we work together and the final validation is Jean Michel and I was totally agree with him with the final remastering sessions with the material we had;-) way to listen music changed, the era has changed, loudness changed...that is impossible to mix and mastered like 30 years ago... The same for the next release...

Róbert János Gyurján

Hello!

It is interesting what you say, where did JmJ get many thanks from? From Sony? From management? Because not from the majority of fans, I'm sure about this. I accept it's much more difficult to remaster from old tapes. Same happened with Depeche Mode recently, anyway.

So as you say, it is more difficult to master from old tapes. This is why I hope that new album material will be easier to work with! Fresh materil to master...

Róbert János Gyurján

Mike Oldfield' remasters in 2010 not only produced perfectly, but Mike himself took the effort to provide each studio albums with bonus tracks. Perfect, clear music with no reverbs, errors or powerless music.

Tape research , artist liaison & technical co-ordination by ..... (with thanks to Mike Oldfield)

Stereo remixes of Ommadawn engineered and produced by Mike Oldfield.

Ommadawn released in 1975.

And you can hear, Mike and his team released listener-friendly and for-the-fans remasters.

So I can hardly believe it's all up to old tapes.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 pm
Domestos

Likes received  : 5

Wow, that is piss-poor. Jesus Christ.

Glad I've only had to pay for a Spotify subscription to listen to this filth :shock:
Post Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:08 pm
Big time

Robi, try ask him about this one :P

King of smileys :D
Post Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:18 pm
Velodynamic

It was funny David did mentioned older remasters sounded "too small".

Click on the "i"-button at the album audio resolution.
http://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage ... 3d1371b75f

Ofcourse this has not much to do with the CD-remastering itself, old or new, but I just thought that it was a nice picture of how compressed
the average music listener's sound actually is compared with full 24bit 192kHz studio sound quality (MasterTape). Remarkable. 8)

- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Big time wrote:Robi, try ask him about this one :P

While you're at it, ask him about

vs.
http://drjones.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/chrono8.mp3

• 2020 Zoolook.nl