Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Xils-Lab SynX 2

Post Posted Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:54 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I could have sworn there was a thread for this, but I guess only JMJ's relatively recent recommendation of this VST came up here somewhere.

Anyway, the VST in question: https://www.xils-lab.com/pages/Syn%27X-2.html
JMJ's recommendation: https://www.xils-lab.com/pages/Artists.html
Audio samples: https://www.xils-lab.com/pages/Syn%27X_Audio.html

As you can hear from the samples on the bottom of the page, with the miniWorkX additional sounds, you can get a rather decent sounding laser harp.

Now, the point is this: Does anyone here have this VST and can they recommend it? For example, would remaking sounds like the RV2 strings or the samples on Per Kristian's page succeed with this one as competently as the laser harp sound?
Post Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

Personally, all I can say about Xils-Lab synths is that they seem to have the same kind of dead wooden sound to them, that the Arturia synths built their legacy upon. Go figure.

It's not a surprise since the developer of Xils is one of the early developers at Arturia, who left to form his own company.

Many people have complained that most Xils lab synths do not sound like the thing they are purporting to emulate - and they say they emulate well. Which seems to be the legacy of Arturia once again, emulating well and sounding nowhere near the real thing.
The Synthex emu is nowhere near the real Synthex.

The best synth that seems to have turned out for them is the Roland VPP-330 emu.

Other companies have done better at emulating synths than these two.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:30 am
Finaero

Alright, thanks for the heads-up. I'll save 130 euros this way, and the HarpeLaser soundfont from 12+ years ago shall suffice for now. ;)

Yeah, Arturia VSTs are much nicer when you get past the fact that they don't really succeed at their emulation as they're supposed to ( the Oxygene 2 square lead replication on the ARP2600V is pretty good, tho', but then again... ;] ). They need a lot of tweaking to sound competent (to me, at least >_>). So yeah, most of my projects are mostly Arturia-powered (Space Opera pt. 6 for example).
Post Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:40 pm
Polarity

For a lot of less money some months ago I bought the miniSynX, that anticipated the new engine of its big brother...

what to say: it's very buggy (it makes strange noises altering the sound when you play notes that it shouldn't absolutely do) and sounds like their new Laser Harp makes clipping my Cubase CPU/ASIO engines, while instead I work easily with more than one U-He Diva instance in divine mode.
Xils Lab synth seems to be just unusable for me.

Just one of their new Laser Harp patch (the one with number 46 in the name) is much better than their previous patches (I mean the ones that listened coming from Synthix1) but still it's not sounding like the real Synthex one!
The resonances of the sound are totally wrong, for example...

I had to modify a lot of parameters to get nearer to it (so I really wonder about the programming capacities of Xils Lab team at this point, considering that I've never beeen a so good sound programmer) but yet mini Syn'X and Syn'X2 are not near as much as Nostalgia sampled Laser Harp sound (that recently I modified and powered up with real time controlling also).

I have the Per Kristian's Laser Harp patch too on my Virus B, but for sure the Nostalgia's sound is the best emulation we can have for now without owning an original hardware Synthex!

Also for other sounds, as RV2 arpeggio strings I made a better one on Sonic Projects OPX PRO 2.
The same for the RV sweeping pad.
Perhaps on miniSyn'X I have found a couple of very good basses (one could be good for RV4) but I think it's too little to justify the purchase if you are chasing JMJ's Synthex sounds.

Glad to have spent very few money to risk on it, because till now my miniSyn'X remained completely unused for my Jarrish tracks. :?
Post Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:50 pm
Analog-Umph

Finaero wrote:Yeah, Arturia VSTs are much nicer when you get past the fact that they don't really succeed at their emulation as they're supposed to ( the Oxygene 2 square lead replication on the ARP2600V is pretty good, tho', but then again... ;] ). They need a lot of tweaking to sound competent (to me, at least >_>). So yeah, most of my projects are mostly Arturia-powered (Space Opera pt. 6 for example).
Simple sounds like that are usable. And yes, once you stop trying to emulate real analog, you can be satisfied. However, there are other softsynths which can do the sound much much better. TimewARP2600 for example, sounds very close to a real revision 3. And the Oxygene 2 square on TW2600 in comparison to Arturia's version, well even with the square you can tell, there is no comparison.

A bunch of modern synths are much better emulation, Diva for one. Tal's stuff. Well, check around KVR, there's some threads listing them all, the new breed and all.
Post Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:54 pm
Finaero

Good to know, thanks.

Of course, in the end I'll just probably need (and use) z3ta. ;)
Post Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:41 pm
Finaero

Polarity wrote: I have the Per Kristian's Laser Harp patch too on my Virus B, but for sure the Nostalgia's sound is the best emulation we can have for now without owning an original hardware Synthex!
Thanks for the heads-up, too. From the jeanmicheljarre.com/forums I once retrieved a nice laser harp sound for Propellerhead Reason, which of course isn't that accurate but still nice enough.
Post Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 pm
radek tymecki

i'm repairing synthex atm :)
Post Posted Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 pm
Finaero

Reviving this thread for a bit... I happened to get the XILS Minilab for a rather cheap price ... and it's not really that impressive (glad I didn't go for the bigger edition, even though it was on a sale too - alas).

... but still, are any Elka Synthex owners currently present and willing to post me the parameters for the Rendez-Vous 2 main strings? I'd like to hear what the replicated sound of that one sounds on the Xils thing. ;)
Post Posted Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:57 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Finaero wrote:Reviving this thread for a bit... I happened to get the XILS Minilab for a rather cheap price ... and it's not really that impressive (glad I didn't go for the bigger edition, even though it was on a sale too - alas).
I remember getting a pirated version just to check THE laser harp sound because their A/B demos were confusing as hell to me, but that sound was nowhere to be found in the presets. Is it available in whatever you got? Can you post some samples?
Post Posted Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 pm
Finaero

Sure, here are all the laser harp preset samples (+ my variation on one of them) from the MiniSyn'x. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/159 ... lasers.zip

My variation sounds vaguely nicer from a higher octave, but alas. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/159 ... h/goop.ogg

Wouldn't really recommend that VST.

But still, if someone with a Synthex can come up with the RV2 strings parameters for me, I could at least try it out for science. ;P
Post Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Finaero wrote:Sure, here are all the laser harp preset samples (+ my variation on one of them) from the MiniSyn'x. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/159 ... lasers.zip

My variation sounds vaguely nicer from a higher octave, but alas. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/159 ... h/goop.ogg

Wouldn't really recommend that VST.

But still, if someone with a Synthex can come up with the RV2 strings parameters for me, I could at least try it out for science. ;P
Thanks for those, doesn't sound that bad. Could you record one where you hold one note for a few seconds (ideally after the point where the sync osc stops to glide)
Post Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm
Finaero

Sure, here's a zip (extra long one of the IMO best VST factory preset): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/159 ... laser2.zip
Post Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm
Analog-Umph

You gotta modify the closest factory preset of that softsynth, in order to get into Jarre land, or RV2 and RV3.

Change filter, envs and keyboard tracking. Add reverb.

Btw, their line up is actually much improved, since I last tried it it, around 2009. Xils, have really become, some of the best analog emulation companies out there.
Post Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:12 pm
Finaero

Or I could try getting Reason and asking thhedk for his presets. But that might get too expensive!

But yeah, I've always found it interesting to compare VSTs and the original synths they're trying to emulate. Still hoping that someone would tackle Roland D50. ;)

• 2020 Zoolook.nl