BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
best drum machine
matt222 

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:44 pm   best drum machine

That new Akai Wolf looked funky but the reviews and videos of it are poor. But you get what you pay for!

Why don't they make drum machines that just do DRUMS anymore ? Leave synths for synth sounds.

Is there a hardware unit that sounds similar to the Lynn?

computerhythm 

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:55 pm   Re: best drum machine

matt222 wrote:
[...] Is there a hardware unit that sounds similar to the Lynn?

Which Linn? The LM-1 Drum Computer or the LinnDrum?

Akai MPC with Linn samples would be your safest bet -- don't trust those samples out there which render the LM-1 hideous-sounding. Best option would be making your own samples and tailor them to your own needs *before* sampling.

Stephen

Analog-Umph 

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 am   

You could try this:

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-YlCb0V7A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4wSd4Y_jg (current version, version 2)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWc8CkesLo

matt222 

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:11 pm   

Ok, Iv'e been researching and I'm drawn to the Tempest. However, 1300 is a lot and I'm no pro so can I justify it?

Second thing I considered was a Roland tr707 - they look great and seem to be well sought after judging by the 450 used price. But why buy an old drumbox with a small pallette of sounds when new machines are more versitle and compatible with modern set ups?

So, Roland's TR8 is affordable at 350 and I hear the latest updates include 707/727 kits! But will that leave me with a drum machine that's limited to retro 4/4 techno sounds?

Also, will all these new machines take sync from my Akai asq10 hardware sequencer?

computerhythm 

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:56 am   

An MPC would render the ASQ redundant, plus you would have a sound library that is only restricted to your imagination, not to styles.

A TR-707 is a waste of money. People must be really desparate if they are willing to fork out *that* much for one.

Stephen

matt222 

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:57 pm   

One thing that's making me hesitate on the TR 8 is it's looks - boring, quite ugly and uninteresting. I can picture the Tempest sitting above say, my Waldorf Q Halloween edition and looking yummy!

I find instruments are like food - if it looks good you want to explore and spend time with ( like other things in life ) Or am I being silly?

computerhythm 

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:42 pm   

matt222 wrote:
One thing that's making me hesitate on the TR 8 is it's looks - boring, quite ugly and uninteresting. I can picture the Tempest sitting above say, my Waldorf Q Halloween edition and looking yummy!

I find instruments are like food - if it looks good you want to explore and spend time with ( like other things in life ) Or am I being silly?

Of course, there is something about the way an instrument looks or feels that makes you relate to it -- if it's ugly as hell, you probably wouldn't want to use it, even though it might actually sound or work terrific.

I think the TR-8 is quite good at what it is supposed to do -- but that's exactly its biggest limitation. It will always pretend to be an 808-type drum computer.

Had it been available earlier, I probably wouldn't have spent a fortune on getting me another 808 after I had sold my original one :explode: .

Stephen

matt222 

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:56 pm   

Yeah!

In the scheme of things, for the price, it's a groovy bit of kit.

One thing that I am up against is that I'm running out of inputs on my desk.

PLEASE CLARIFY: Is it always best to connect both left and right outputs of a synth to 2 seperate channels on the desk,. panned hard left right ?

My Nords have seperate mono outs but the JP8000 / JD800 / Waldorf , I use the stereo pair. Is this the best way?

computerhythm 

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:22 pm   

If an instrument has stereo outputs, it should be used with these (the Prophet VS even sported a sticker, reading "Stereo hookup required for optimum performance"). Some instruments even allow for panning each voice separately (and modulating their respective position) within the stereo field. It would be a shame if this was lost. If it's just a stereo chorus (as e. g. on a JX-3P etc.), you can use its mono output and add stereo chorusing later on.

As for drum machines, yes, you might want to use individual audio outputs if you want to EQ every single instrument individually (or add effects to it without affecting the others). Normally, a stereo out will do, with each instrument panned left or right, using the internal mixer.

Stephen

matt222 

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 pm   

Thanks Stephen, yet more sound advice from you. Knew I should have gone for the 32.4 Mackie instead of the 24.4.

Beelooo 

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 pm   

[quote="Analog-Umph"]You could try this:

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html

Huhu :) nice stuff her ;) i got the VSDS and the megadrive FM synth emu since month and i'm very happy with it :)
Electronic Night Paris, July 1998
Marigny, December 2007
2010 POPB, March 2010
2016 POPB (Accor Hotel Arena), December 2016

matt222 

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm   

Thanks Beeloo, but it's got to be hardware for me!

Also, am I correct in believing the tr8 will only play 4/4 time signatures? and no triplet notes?

Pete 

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:58 am   

I totally agree with Stephen.

You should consider buying an MPC 60.
It is such a great machine and since you have the ASQ sequencer you will be very familiar with it.
If you buy one with the older OS (2.12) you can still use the infamous standard MIDI Sample Dump to tranfser your samples between the MPC and a Computer (you will appreciate how slow it is...!)

A "contemporary" solution could be a second hand Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 MKII UW+
It has very limited 12 bit sampling feature that adds that old-school flavour to a modern and interesting instrument

P.

Analog-Umph 

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:50 am   

Beelooo wrote:
Huhu :) nice stuff her ;) i got the VSDS and the megadrive FM synth emu since month and i'm very happy with it :)

Hehe never saw that one from him, quite a quirky little guy.

Reply to topic