Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Turntables

Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:11 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

GeeJee wrote:www.elpj.com
Say Hi to mister Laser Turntable :D
A little expensive, but IMHO the best solution around.. :mrgreen:
(click the picture for more details)
What the... :shock: What's the point having a turntable working with digital signals like a cd-player? :wink: Ok, very funny idea but ofcaurse the price is rediculous. :)
I remember some cheaper model in the 80's that looked almost like this one, only a bit thinner. The idea with them was that you didn't have to turn side of the LP. I think they had 2 needles, one (as usual) at the top side and one on the under side. They was on the market for some year and then they disappeared. :roll:

dj_epo wrote: that turntable was initialy made for hifi purpose.
The soundquality depends of the cartidge you put on the arm.
you can buy a second hand less than 300€ !
1. Yea, like in the 80's or something? :roll: :twisted: :wink:
2. Yes it does. Is it compatible with any cartridge on the market?
3. It can be quite tricky to judge the condition of a DJ turntable that has looked the same for centurys in compare to one with "more design" that you only can use fixed at home for listening only.

A Technics 1200/1210 is a very good sounding machine indeed and well suited for tough use. It's just that I have seen so many of them that I'm tired of the design...it's like a "Volvo" for me. I want a Jaguar. :mrgreen: :wink:
Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:54 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Velodynamic wrote:1. Yea, like in the 80's or something? :roll: :twisted: :wink:
2. Yes it does. Is it compatible with any cartridge on the market?
3. It can be quite tricky to judge the condition of a DJ turntable that has looked the same for centurys in compare to one with "more design" that you only can use fixed at home for listening only.

A Technics 1200/1210 is a very good sounding machine indeed and well suited for tough use. It's just that I have seen so many of them that I'm tired of the design...it's like a "Volvo" for me. I want a Jaguar. :mrgreen: :wink:

It usually comes with a universal headshell or else you can buy one, where you can use any pickup you like, they are also in most cases made for universal headshells.
On the Rega turntables, the headshell is build into the tonearm, but as far as I remember that one is also universal, but an Ortofon Concorde pickup won't fit it, but that's why they made the OM serie.
Post Posted Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:04 am
Equinoxe

Likes received  : 1

With Technics SL's you get what you pay for, i had a pair some years ago and had them for about 5 years,there were no signs of wear or damage even after the abuse they had suffered from me and they were used for DJing reguarly,and sold them on and still lost relatively little value even selling second hand.they hold there price well so its a good investment as long as you keep all packaging etc.

The design may look aged now compared to many turntables,but if you look at the design of them it works,and many companies still try to base some of there turntable designs on the Technics SLs,i used many different name brands for Decks but once you've settled for SLs anything else is second best,they may be a little pricey,but when you look at the price of other turntable with the same specs,they dont seem so bad,(I've seen more expensive decks from other manufacturers)and many retailers will haggle with you,

I recently bought another pair of SL1200mk2 and got the shop guy down to a really good price for the pair)the reason they hold there price is because of their status within the DJ culture and because they are solid decks,you know that if your buying SLs your buying a damn reliable product,the price has gone up for new models since i last had a pair,but they will go up even further soon due to there vintage nature,once the CD desks start becoming more popular the Vinyl technics will become collectors items.

the headshell is universal and will take most cartidges,depends what you need them for,i just use Stanton 505 SKs,thats the usual for most decks for DJ use,although if you want something more upbeat you can spend a couple hundred on cartidges!!!

If you only want something to listen to Vinyl then mabe the SLs are not what our after,but there just as well suited for Listening purposes as thats what the were invented for anway,its just demands of the DJ found they were ideal for the requirements of DJing due to pitch control and direct drive systems
Post Posted Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:46 am
AnDrOiD

Nothing beats this:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:53 pm
Big time

Damn, I would like one of those in my studio!!!! :D :D :D
Post Posted Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:42 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

But I don't think you can get much good music on records of lacquer or what material it was made of.
Post Posted Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 pm
(Unknown)
Foster parent to lost posts

Velodynamic wrote:I'm saving money for a new nice looking and good sounding turntable for cleaning off my old records and it would be great with some advice. I've read a pair of audiophile magazines but that's about it. How important is the kind of cartrige, tonearm, material in the platter/playing surface, rim or direct drive system and s.o?
Or is the best thing to simply look for a used turntable?
I'm temted by these two:
ImageImage
They have allmost the same equipments exept for the playing surface.
The right turntable is a little more expensive but it's in my eyes nicer to look at. :roll:
Hey Velodynamic :)

Yes ,the turntables are the best .They remind of the old days.As the technology is advancing these turntables are getting their popularity back.I recenlty bought a turntable and its working good for me.It has a USB enabled and is affordable also.I can even play CD's on it.You could think of buying a turntable ,if you need to know about high quality turntables which cost less you could go through this ,it has very good information.http://www.crosleyturntablereviews.com/ .Image
This user is not the original creator of this post, but was kind enough to adopt it. If you are or know the original poster, send Dr_Jones a PM here: https://zoolook.nl/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=47
Post Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:06 pm
VinylScratch

Out of curiosity... what kind of vinyl playback hardware do you all use (aside from what was already mentioned)?

I am currently using a Pro-Ject Debut III DC with the stock Ortofon OM5E cartridge and a Rega Fono Mini preamp.
I'll probably upgrade to the OM30 stylus some time this year to see if that helps to reduce inner grove distortion. At least spec-wise it should track considerably better than the 5E and you don't have to adjust anything except for the tracking weight.
Post Posted Sun May 15, 2016 12:45 pm
Bocken Bruse

Thorens TD280 with Ortofone OM20. The picture below DO NOT show my own turntable... hotlinked via Google search. :oops:

• 2020 Zoolook.nl