Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Frederick Rousseau interview - about Jarre, Vangelis, ircam

Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:21 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Code: Select all

You’re worked with Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre – that’s rare, isn’t it?
“You normally have to choose your camp! I started with Jarre, the Concerts in China, 60,000 people in 1981. We developed the first polyphonic sequencer, the MDB with eight CVs and gates. I made Zoolook with him – and I played keyboards and programmed the Fairlight sequences. It was an amazing experience for me and certainly the last great album he made.

“Then I had a phone call from the guy at Dreyfus Records, he said, ‘You kill my artist! This album is a piece of shit. No hits…’ And I said, ‘Sorry, I think we’ve made a really interesting album’. 

“Finally Zoolook had some success, then Jean Michel called me for the next album, and he came up with Rendez-vous and I said sorry, I am not [a] fan, you can do that without me! And I decided with friends to create Studio MEGA in Paris.

“The next time I saw Jarre was for the 1990 show for La Defense, and I re-did all the intros, all the sequences. Two and a half million people in Paris, what an experience!”
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Robi

Not the first one who consider Zoolook as the last great album of Jarre.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Zoolook his last great album? Yes.

Zoolook his last good album? No.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:54 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I think it'd be nice to know what he thought of the new tours (especially the 2007-2008 Oxygene Tour), since he really didn't like T&T. Alas, it's good to know that he still has good memories of working with Jarre.
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

I kind of hated zoolook too, but eventually learned to love it.
Post Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Personally I hated Zoolook at first, really had a hard time swallowing Ethnicolor I at first. I didn't get it, thought it was boring and awfull. And then the beat came into play at 6:45, I'll never forget that moment hearing the voices kick in and having the piece turn into a musicpiece of epic proportions. The rest of the album was a hit after that, did have some trouble with Wooloomooloo and still have, that track was boring no matter how you look at it :P
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 am
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

How anyone can call themselves Jarre-fans and not like Zoolook is beyond me. And yes, it really was his last innovative and great album. Jarre has done three of those, and that's more than most artists. At most they have one like that in them.

Has Jarre done good things since then? Absolutely. Has any of those things been as innovative and experimental as Zolook? No.

As for the interview, I'm surprised about Rousseau's bluntness. I know that he has been very reluctant to be so honest in the past.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:20 am
Josue143803

I'll admit it, when I heard Ethnicolor 1 for the first time, it scared me. I learned to like it after listening to it a few more times. Same thing happened with Wooloomooloo, Ethnicolor 2 and the first half of Diva. I always liked Blah Blah Café, Zoolookologie and Zoolook, though. Those pieces are fun.

(Side note, I think that Zoolook should've been in the '97 version of Images, instead of Wooloomooloo.)

• 2020 Zoolook.nl