BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Vangelis LATEST NEWS
Velodynamic 

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm   

Elf wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:
Why have I missed the album Voices? :o
Heard it on Youtube and found the CD at the swedish Ginza for like 9 bucks!
Very high DR scores on that one.

Not very fond of that album. The first track is a cheap Conquest of Paradise cash-in, but then it gets better. I don't listen to it that much though.

Voices was the first album where it was clear that Vangelis had lost the plot. The trend that had started on The City, where he programs a rhythm which goes and goes and then he just solos on top of it, was very clear. I do like the City, though, but from then on his albums were much more static in their arrangements. His direct approach to composing left a lot to be desired, compared to the richness of the 70s and early 80s.

I do like Ask the Mountains, though.

That's kind of funny because I found CoP to be one of the most uneventful albums I've ever heard. :)
At least something is happening in Voices. It's an entertaining album at least the first ten listenings. It feels like a somewhat more experimental Vangelis. I find a lot of associations - Mike Oldfield in the first track with the bells and bag pipe sounds. He often spices with Blade Runner strophes here and there. Echoes I think has got some mystical X-Files approach to it. Come To Me has got some Enya vibes. P.S. Is an echo of the first track. ATM is like a slow fox Twin Peaks track. Prelude is a beautiful piano piece with soft choirs and strings which can't go wrong if you're Vangelis. Losing Sleep, Messages and DIAOP goes back to the old "boring" Vangelis again, like watching a flock of lost Elephants in slow motion.
It may so be that the old classic Vangelis died there. I can't really tell as I don't listen very often to his older albums and mostly to his "obvious hits".
I think Voices was probably meant for us nincanpoops who isn't patience enough for his more classic music style. :P
The mix looks like it should for a CD from before 1997 - very nice. My subwoofer is almost too happy about this.

Aneka65 

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm   

By the way. What happened to the Forum. Vangelis ??. I can not log in, ceased to exist ??

Finaero 

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 pm   

Yeah, the Vangelis forum is closed.

Speaking of Voices, I had more or less ignored that track and the album until the release of The Collection in 2012, after which I found myself strangely fond of that track (not the album, though). Then again, I've suddenly started to like the Electronic Night album version of Together Now a lot this year, so I guess it's just the effects of time. ;)

Velodynamic 

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:39 pm   

Finaero wrote:

Then again, I've suddenly started to like the Electronic Night album version of Together Now a lot this year, so I guess it's just the effects of time. ;)

It makes me think of Crazy Frog's version of No Limit when I listen to that album. ;)

Finaero 

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:47 pm   

Just got the Spiral 2013 remaster... well, it's not that bad. A bit more space/trebley and the extra track (previously released on a 7' single only, IIRC) is nice. 8)

... the packaging, however must be from the cheapest stock. Just trying to get the booklet out of the front slit/compartment resulted in a 1.5 cm tear in the front cover. A shame.

shadow 

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am   

I'm not sure if there was a reprint, but I really liked the packaging on the 2013 remasters in actual 2013.The actual remasters however... Yeah those I truly didn't like (outside of Direct and Page of Life).

Reply to topic