BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Paris La Defence 1990-remastered/improved free download
Flip Martian 

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm   

Thanks both.

Docklands...well I do have an FM copy from NRJ Radio (from France I assume) although I've not had chance to go through that yet. But the plan is to give that a go sometime this year.

I need to make it sound much better than it was on the night. The night I saw the Docklands gig, the PA where I was was rubbish and it all sounded like it was from a transistor radio :wink: So it will sound much better than that I hope :lol:

Pat Gleeson 

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm   

It sounds pretty much like the BBC Radio 1 broadcast - that is quite good, but marred by a persistent and wide echo ...
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016

Finaero 

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm   

I've sort of gotten used to the echo over the years, but it's still a shame that it's there.

The audience recording by SPACEDOUT (that, to my knowledge, was first released in 2003) was pretty nice, even though it also didn't have that good sound quality... and you can actually hear audible booing at some parts (at least during Industrial Revolution: Overture). :P

Flip Martian 

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am   

BOOING?!! Really? I remember I was still outside queuing to get in when the overture was playing - missed the first 40 minutes!

Not much I can do to remove a persistent echo but if I can improve everything else that might make it more listenable anyway (at least that would be the idea).

Finaero 

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm   

Well, it sort of sounds like booing turning into/getting overrun with cheers, but eh. Haven't listened to that one in years, thus I remembered it being more harsh.

On the subject of PLD, there was a user 'round Jarre forums who had his own audience recording of PLD but hadn't been able to convert it into a digital format due to a variety of reasons (distance being one of them, IIRC, as he was living in Europe but the recording was still in the U.S), but I haven't seen him around in years. Granted, this was in 2006 or so..

Synner 

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm   

It wasn't boo-ing - at that point, the first firework was launched, as it rose higher and higher, the crowd oo-ed and ah-ed louder and louder. Mine was one of those voices!

If you listen, you can hear the bang as it goes off.

And yes, there is a fair bit of echo on the BBC broadcast - there was echo on the night too, but I think the BBC broadcast it in mono - some instrumentation is missing - most noticeably in Ethnicolor, where the final synth solo is completely missing.

Still, it did add a fair bit of power to the laser harp sound.

Finaero 

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 pm   

Major thanks for the clarification, Synner! That one had been bugging me for almost 14 years. :wink:

On the subject of PLD, I found a PLD radio broadcast recording interspersed with some footage from an audience recording that eliminates the radio announcer chatter from the beginning of EQ5 before segueing back to the radio broadcast version. I took the audience recording part from that mp3, and combined it with some PLD "FLAC" radio broadcast I got from who knows where. It sounds... almost smooth: https://www.dropbox.com/s...Q5TEST.mp3?dl=0

Similarly, you can eliminate the radio ident from the beginning of MF2 (after the cool unique-to-PLD intro) by looping parts of the beginning (which of course makes the audience noises loop as well, but that could be remedied by some clever mixing). Something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s...F2TEST.mp3?dl=0

(On that topic, I'm still sort of hearing the radio ident during MF2 saying "Nihon" at one point and pronouncing "Europe 2" in a more Japanese manner, as if hinting the existence of a Japanese PLD radio broadcast out there somewhere... but probably not!)

Reply to topic