Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 7-13 LP - why so rare/expensive?

Post Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am
VinylScratch

I recently managed to pick up one of the 12" single releases of Oxygene 8 for a few bucks ... and if the prices listed on Discogs are anything to go by, none of those are expensive at all (even promo copies).

The 7-13 album on the other hand tends to go for ridiculous triple-digit sums, which seems a bit odd.
Does anyone know how many of those were pressed compared to the 12" singles?
Post Posted Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:55 am
shadow

Likes received  : 35

The full album on vinyl was only released in, I believe Germany, and in a (presumably) single pressing only since vinyl in 1997 was pretty much dead. Singles at the times were used frequently by DJ's (I believe some even have stickers mentioning they're made for that purpose), but albums were a different deal. It's a shame, because it's a really well mastered mix of the album and far better than any of the other offering we've gotten since. Even the new vinyl pressing that came with the Oxygene trilogy is pure garbage with random and treble drops throughout Oxygene 8, added pops and clicks through the master (yes, the master not the press itself), terrible mixing and more.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Despite being a dang good vinyl release, my copy is also special for me because I got it from a Finnish record fair (from a Swedish seller) for 4 euros.

The only true bargain that I've ever had in my record collecting hobby (especially considering that I paid 100 euros for the Korean Chronologie LP and 200 euros each for the Kraftwerk German language Minimum Maximum 4 LP and Die Mensch Maschine original red vinyl releases >_>).

But I guess these days more people are aware of how scarce the release was and will ask for ridiculous sums for it. And I may be wrong here, but I'm quite sure that the prices for the German red-face Equinoxe CD skyrocketed after we declared it the winner of the sound quality test. ;)

(Especially since most of those sellers don't mention the matrix numbers at all...)
Post Posted Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Probably it was a question of needs and demands. In 1997 the vinyl format was pretty much dead and the CD's was the only thing people bought. Maybe that's why the strictly limited amounts of LP pressings.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 pm
eru777

I'm still waiting for that oxygene 7-13 CD from amazon that I bought in 2009 :pwned:

• 2020 Zoolook.nl