Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

new Revolutions + Chronologie / Chronology LP in April ?

Post Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I'm most interested in hearing how the Revolutions one compares to the "1999 bootleg LP". ;)

But yeah, I guess that aside from this release of Chronologie having a nicer inner sleeve than the other editions (to my current recollection), these editions can be skipped.
Post Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

So here they are. CDON's Chronology "limited blue edition" and iMusic.dk's Revolutions "30TH ANNIVERSARY PURPLE 180g".

The weight of the vinyls:
Chronology fr CDON: 146 gram
Chronology fr iMusic.dk: 148 gram
Revolutions fr iMusic.dk: 149 gram (despite the mention of 180g or "estimated 200g")

Both the Chronology vinyls are slightly off center but not by far enough to affect the sound.
Chronology "black vinyl" has yet to come from Amazon. :nod:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm
Finaero

Damn, guess I called it. :|
Post Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 pm
ChoccyUK

Seriously what is going on with this release?
I now have the ones from Amazon but today they claim the release date is May 4th and not yet available.
Post Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm
Finaero

Alright, got my copies as well.

For this weekend only, here's a quick comparison of the sound quality for Revolution, Revolutions from the 1994 Canadian CD, "1999 bootleg LP" and this 2018 LP: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5x9v9fzd7q4 ... quzra?dl=0
Post Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 pm
chronos

Finaero wrote:Alright, got my copies as well.

For this weekend only, here's a quick comparison of the sound quality for Revolution, Revolutions from the 1994 Canadian CD, "1999 bootleg LP" and this 2018 LP: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5x9v9fzd7q4 ... quzra?dl=0
That has sold me in to buying the Revolution 2018 LP! The last CD copy i bought was the gold border remasters, you can hear the hi-hat on the drums a lot clearer, sounds more lively too. Does the rest of the L.P sound any different?
Post Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Finaero

I'd say it's mostly about increased bass and treble with Revolutions. The Chronologie one also has the odd edits (the transition between Chronologie 1.1 and 1.2, Chronologie 8's watch part at the end starting earlier... but also a nice feature in Chronologie pt. 4 fading out later than in the pre-2010s versions).

Two more comparisons (Industrial Revolution pt.1 - with the 2018 one being the only vinyl version - and Chronologie 4 - all samples from vinyl versions) here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fvw7ylh9t1u3 ... lrt9a?dl=0
Post Posted Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:43 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Comparing Chronology 4 and 5 with the 1997 Chronologie CD (Scott Hull remaster) although the more saturated and punchier bass on the vinyl I still think the older CD sounds clearer, crispier and more well defined. The droid effect and solo near the end of Chrono 4 is drowned by everything else and the big string sound on Chrono 5 is a big mess. I can blame it partly on my cartridge and tube pre-amp which are creating a warmer sound and are less successful in emphasizing minor details. Probably also why Chrono 1 and the big organ opening on Chrono 8 is so darn powerful on this new vinyl.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri May 25, 2018 5:39 pm
Finaero

Herr Dunkel wrote: BUT they messed up the bottom of letters "C" of "MICHEL" and "J" of "JARRE" on Chronology. I just noticed it now, but it's not new, I just found out it's on the CD remaster too...
I noticed recently that it's actually present in the 1993 South Korean vinyl edition as well: https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... e/10422548

(Oddly enough, the Brazilian version has the correct one)
Post Posted Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Finaero wrote:
Herr Dunkel wrote: BUT they messed up the bottom of letters "C" of "MICHEL" and "J" of "JARRE" on Chronology. I just noticed it now, but it's not new, I just found out it's on the CD remaster too...
I noticed recently that it's actually present in the 1993 South Korean vinyl edition as well: https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... e/10422548

(Oddly enough, the Brazilian version has the correct one)

Interesting... In a way it's somewhat comforting that it's not only the remaster that's messed up! ;-)
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:00 am
Finaero

Exactly, that's one minus point off the Sony/Dadwater record. ... Which still leaves all the other negative points in there, of course. :?

A definite plus point, though: Aside from the text getting cut off, I'd say that visually this 2018 Chronology LP has the best packaging out of all the other Chronologie LP editions. Really sleek and stylish.

The Brazilian one still has the best-looking labels on the actual record, though, IMO. ;)
Post Posted Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:21 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

I have not seen the new Chronology LP for real yet, but from the pictures posted above it looks really nice indeed.

I agree with you on the labels of the original Brazilian LP - the design is consistent with the original CD.

Did you notice that the Brazilian LP lists 4 tracks per side? Normally it should be A: 1-3, B: 4-8. Beside making each side very different in duration it breaks the continuity between parts 4 and 5 (yes I know, fade-in, fade-out to the rescue, but still... different from what the artist intended!)
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense

• 2020 Zoolook.nl