Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Kraftwerk

Post Posted Sat May 27, 2017 3:19 am
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Thank you Finaero for the info! :-)
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sat May 27, 2017 10:29 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

No sweat.

Kind of interesting, too. The CDs are ~42 euros and the 9 LP vinyl set in the 120 EUR range on Amazon.de, so they're both actually cheaper than the Oxygene Trilogy sets... and contain new renditions of Kraftwerk's entire canon album output instead of just 3 albums.

Would expect that they're more properly mastered, too. We'll see. ;)
Post Posted Sat May 27, 2017 3:18 pm
Herr Dunkel

Yes, much cheaper than the Oxygène box set, and probably better build quality too... I'm definitely going to get the German edition CD box set... It will be a bit different from the albums in English I have. Plus the track order is a bit different, and it will be a nice update from the originals and since the tracks are sometimes shorter (e.g. Autobahn is 14 minutes instead of 24) it cuts down on the repetitiveness that can be boring at times - although that was intended.

I'm sure the mastering will be better than the Electronica / Oxygène series. If they are able to keep the crisp, spacious sound I heard live in 2015, this set should really be a treat. :-)

It will also be interesting to compare the "3-D sound" of the Mix album and that of the few Electronica tracks that were released that way. Again, if they are able to do 3-D with sound like they did the 3-D visuals that should be very interesting. Before going to the show I thought this 3-D business was a gimmicky ploy, but it really works well!
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sun May 28, 2017 10:54 am
Finaero

Yeah, the chances of this release having gotten far more things right than Jarre's Sony releases from 2014 onwards (even though the fanciest Electronica 1 box was quite nice) are quite high. ;)

... granted that my Amazon.de shipping estimate for the 8 CD German edition is "will dispatch on May 29" and "will dispatch Jul 7" for the LPs, so here's hoping for the best!
Post Posted Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:32 pm
Finaero

Got my boxsets today, been listening to the CDs, pristine quality.

Funny thing, though, is that the release wasn't perfectly smooth after all, the German edition has the English version of Radioaktivität/Radioactivity as a misprint... so the covers are correctly in German, but the CD contents are in English.

Haven't confirmed if the LP editions have something like that as well, in which case it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but still. Might be useful info. ;)
Post Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am
Finaero

Even the Radioaktivit�t LP sounds more or less click/pop-free straight off the cardboard sleeve (put it in a rice paper one after initial digitalifying). Tremendous sound quality all around on both CD and LP releases, the nr. 1 shame would be German CD version of Radioaktivit�t actually being the overall English version of Radioactivity.

That misprint aside, this is how things should be done. Shame to all JMJ's record companies for being such screw-ups overall. :P

[EDIT: December 2019] Took me over two years to find out that in the case of the misprinted Radioaktivität CD in the German edition of 3D Der Katalog, all you have to do is to send an email to Kling Klang and explain the matter and they will ship you the corrected CD. 8)

(Can't remember JMJ/Sony/etc. doing anything similar with the MyPlayDirect Electronica 2 fiasco or the first version of Rendez-Vous' dadwater remaster...)
Post Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:48 pm
Finaero

Also w.r.t. The Mix and its "headphone 3D surround" gimmick: It does work in the sense that when you have your headphones on, you can sort of feel the sounds being "around you" instead of just "in your ears" (if that explanation explains anything). But... the sound still has some tin-can + bass-boost action going on with it, especially the CD version. The LP version is also quite bassy, but still more tolerable to listen normally than the CD one (especially since Planet der Visionen AKA Expo 2000 is only included in 3-D The Mix so there's no headphone-surround-free version of it in the boxset.
Post Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:56 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

So anyone got a good idea about where to start with Kraftwerk for someone who's never heard something of them? I've heard a lot about them, but never their work however.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Finaero

I'd recommend The Mix (their 1991 re-make compilation album) as a starting point, not the least because it was also my starting point back in 2003 or so. It's still a fantastic compilation album, too.

And in German, of course. ;)
Post Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 pm
Herr Dunkel

Thanks Finaero for the review! Note re: the Radio-Activity album... your "German" edition is OK and the same as the "English" edition. Originally the album was released with a mix of lyrics of German and English. There is no "German" and "English" version of that album. The only difference is in the naming. In Germany the titles of the songs and album were in German, and international releases had the titles translated into English, but the lyrics are the same. For example the song Radioactivity / Radioaktivität has the first verse in English and the second in German, but it's the same song no matter what editions. Same with Radiowaves / Ãtherwellen.

So I guess with this new 3-D release they followed the same pattern. By the same token Autobahn is only in German, there are no lyrics in English for it. It's only starting with Trans-Europe Express that they had 2 editions (German and English), plus a few variants. For example in France the song Showroom Dummies / Schaufensterpuppen was released as a single (Les Mannequins) with lyrics in French.

So your pressing is OK.

Cheers!
Post Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 pm
Finaero

Oh yeah, now I remember! Thanks for the reminder.

In fact, after doing some comparison, this misprint appears to just concern the title track Radioactivity/Radioaktivität. The German CD version has the first half in Japanese (as per the 2012-> tour versions) and the second in English (as do all English editions, I'd reckon), but the German LP has the first part in Japanese and the second in German (as the CD should as well).

The bilingualism in the other tracks (Ätherwellen, Antenna) is retained, as in the original 1975 album in both German CD and LP versions.
Post Posted Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Karl Bartos: "in Kraftwerk's control room"

German version:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:22 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Kraftwerk last weekend from Stuttgart with live guest performance from the ISS.

"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Wed May 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Finaero

RIP Florian Schneider

There might be no more immediately fitting way to commemorate him than the original 1974 version of Autobahn.
Post Posted Wed May 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

RIP Florian Schneider 😢
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009