Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Audible crackling on Equinoxe III (1985->1996)

Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:23 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Oh, definitely agreed!

Also reminds me of the extra noise audible in the sound effects of Oxygene 1 in the 2007 remastered edition (not present in any other edition, even the Dadwater stuff, IIRC)... but that remaster still remains unique in the regard that the "bubbling transition" between Oxygene 4 and 5 begins much later in the 2007 version - while that doesn't really improve the track, it's still unique and a nice bonus. ;)

(Hearing Oxygene 10 in-between the opening laser harp notes of Oxygene 7 still is a nicer "easter egg" to me, though https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ccd4on0z79iwzh/1997.wav?dl=0 ;))

(Removing the WAVs tomorrow!)
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:47 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Phil wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:I think the distortion at 2:48 into Equinoxe IV is probably more noticeble yes. :nod:
On which master ? :?
Sorry, I meant V (part 5) nothing else. My bad. :P
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am
Phil

Finaero wrote:... (Hearing Oxygene 10 in-between the opening laser harp notes of Oxygene 7 still is a nicer "easter egg" to me, though https://www.dropbox.com/s...h/1997.wav?dl=0 ;) )
Nice "easter egg". :wink: (It's really disappointing to see all these faulty remastering. :( )
Velodynamic wrote:Sorry, I meant V (part 5) nothing else. My bad. :P
Oh ok, i heard it. :-) (a nice little sound compared to the crunches on Equinox 3 :nod: )
And thank you, because now i'm 100% convinced that Equinoxe V new mix (on all Equinoxe albums since ~1983 and "800025-2 02" CD) come from may 1979 : https://www.discogs.com/fr/Jean-Michel- ... ase/540576
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Was the remix ever given a digital release? Or still officially only on the vinyl?
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

shadow wrote:Was the remix ever given a digital release? Or still officially only on the vinyl?
Both versions of Equinoxe V are available on CD.
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

shadow wrote:Was the remix ever given a digital release? Or still officially only on the vinyl?
The remix is what you hear on every CD except 800025-2 01.
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Phil

Equinoxe V :
CD "800025-2 01" = Original Mix. (First Equinoxe's CD : ~1983)
CD "800025-2 02" = First CD with New Mix. (The new Tape Master used has crunches on Equinoxe III and distortion on new Equinoxe V at 2:48 :| )
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I meant the 45 Maxi remix of 4 posted the post directly above my previous post, that the album CD has two mixes I know, I was the one who raised the question about the vinyl mix being on CD :P
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 pm
Phil

shadow wrote:I meant the 45 Maxi remix of 4 posted the post directly above my previous post, that the album CD has two mixes I know, I was the one who raised the question about the vinyl mix being on CD :P
Not to my knowledge. (I have not seen a CD reissue on Discog.)

Unofficial Release (from Chile) - Remastered sound from the blue vinyl : https://www.discogs.com/fr/Jean-Michel- ... se/7148196 :wink:
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Nope, never has. I once asked the guy who compiled those CDs which had Rendez-Vous 4, Zoolook and Zoolookologie 12" mixes if he had the rights to publish Equinoxe 4 12" version too and yes, he has. But he hasn't released it yet.
Post Posted Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm
jarreaus

Phil wrote:
Equinoxe V :
CD "800025-2 02" = First CD with New Mix. (The new Tape Master used has crunches on Equinoxe III and distortion on new Equinoxe V at 2:48 :| )
What was the stereo image configuration of the original mix CD? I have the 'standard' Polydor CD version with the crackling on E3 as mentioned (although I've never noticed the distortion on E5) and also the 1997 Sony remaster with the 'corrected' stereo channel image. The reason I ask is that I noticed the Equinoxe edits on the 1983 The Essential compilation has E3 without the crackling and also the stereo configuration the same as the 1997 remaster (which was reverse of the common Polydor version).
Post Posted Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 pm
Phil

jarreaus wrote:
Phil wrote:
Equinoxe V :
What was the stereo image configuration of the original mix CD? I have the 'standard' Polydor CD version with the crackling on E3 as mentioned (although I've never noticed the distortion on E5) and also the 1997 Sony remaster with the 'corrected' stereo channel image. The reason I ask is that I noticed the Equinoxe edits on the 1983 The Essential compilation has E3 without the crackling and also the stereo configuration the same as the 1997 remaster (which was reverse of the common Polydor version).
It's not always easy to determine if there has been channel inversion even with headphones (this is especially true with the Zoolook album and its 1997 remastering), so waveforms can help. :)

From what I see of these waveforms, the stereo image looks the same only on the first Equinoxe CD and the first 'The Essential' compilation.

(You can click to enlarge. There is several other remastering on the previous page :idea:)
Post Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm
jarreaus

Phil wrote:
jarreaus wrote:
Phil wrote: Equinoxe V :
It's not always easy to determine if there has been channel inversion even with headphones (this is especially true with the Zoolook album and its 1997 remastering), so waveforms can help. :)

From what I see of these waveforms, the stereo image looks the same only on the first Equinoxe CD and the first 'The Essential' compilation.

[url=https://zupimages.net/up/18/41/ggcz.png]Image[/url]
(You can click to enlarge. There is several other remastering on the previous page :idea:)
Ahh I worked out what the problem is. All tracks on my copy of The Essential have the stereo image reversed however I'm listening to it from my iPod which I ripped from the CD. It's possible iTunes decoded it wrong. I'll dig out the CD in the next few days to check.

So basically all versions of Equinoxe before 1997 have the same stereo image including the original 'redface' press?
Post Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:48 pm
Phil

jarreaus wrote:(...) So basically all versions of Equinoxe before 1997 have the same stereo image including the original 'redface' press?
Yes that's what we can observe.. but a glassmaster error remains possible. :mrgreen: (According to an interview with JMJ in a Keyboards Mag, there are some albums of Oxygen produced before 1997 with the inverted channels .. the result of a bad "glassmaster".)
Post Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

So... which stereo image is the correct one?

• 2020 Zoolook.nl