Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Electronica 3 a possibility?

Post Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 am
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Elf wrote: I, without thinking said; "Yeah, I mentioned it in my review that was published yesterday

Jarre: *Phew! Good!"
JmJ's sense of humour. Such a fine host is JmJ making his guests feel important.

At this stage of his life JmJ couldn't care less for reviews.

Similarly we all should be able to make up our own mind.

Well done Elf. Looking forward to reading your interview. Two hours is a privilege. Large portions of us would liked to been in your shoes.
Post Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 am
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

Elf wrote:(...) But in all fairness, a week later I would actually give it 8/10. I've been listening to it every single day. Apart from Infinity, I like the whole thing.
Then why don't you update your notation?
Post Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 am
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

jeanbatman wrote:
Elf wrote:(...) But in all fairness, a week later I would actually give it 8/10. I've been listening to it every single day. Apart from Infinity, I like the whole thing.
Then why don't you update your notation?
Because I didn't write the review now. I wrote it a week ago. I don't want to pull a Rolling Stone Record Guide, where they changed the grading for old albums, because it was certainly unhip to like progressive rock and othe reasons.

Besides, it's literally an English translation of a review I wrote for a Norwegian magazine, so it would be dishonest as well.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:59 pm
Elf

-Elf-
Post Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Elf wrote:Because I didn't write the review now. I wrote it a week ago. I don't want to pull a Rolling Stone Record Guide, where they changed the grading for old albums, because it was certainly unhip to like progressive rock and othe reasons.

Besides, it's literally an English translation of a review I wrote for a Norwegian magazine, so it would be dishonest as well.
I agree. Revisionism. Not always good. It is good to know that the album will grow (as usual with a good JMJ album)
Post Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 am
plate of chips

Excellente overall Elf. Well done.

Nice for JmJ to meet an interviewer familiar and a fan of his music.

Plenty fascinating insights :

# Les Granges Brûlées : Aphex Twin told him that it was like Aphex Twin music, twenty years before he started his career.

# Oxygene : I took the music from one tape that was black, and the other one was pink.
So, if you look at the master tape of Oxygene, most of it is black, but suddenly you have this pink section.

I had to add recorded music to mask these edits.
But I was able to insert this piece coming from something entirely different, and still make it work as a continuous flow.

Oxygene Part 2, for example, the whole structure is based on the fact that I had a broken Mellotron, where only some of the keys worked.
And since nobody were using the Mellotron any more, I couldn’t get it fixed.
So, the whole track, with the strings, is built around that limitation.
It’s the ultimate limitation, which is so important in art.

# Equinoxe : Small Stone guitar pedal, and I had to use a small 9V battery. And that was complicated in itself.
Bcause, when the battery was new, the phaser went nuts. And then I found out if the battery was at 7.6 V, it was ideal for 15 minutes.
More than 7.6 V, it was too much, and if it went below that, it was too weak. Then Michel, no idea how, managed to connect a device to it so that it would be stable at 7.6 V.

Michel was very important for me, especially in the beginning, because he helped me device and design some instruments.
And he also helped me with the technology we had available so that I could make the kind of music I wanted to make.

(JmJ always been very generous towards Michel Geiss :
Michel Geiss always acknowledged this and cleared up in that lengthy interview available google cache what his own contribution was).

However this question from you is lame.

"The hit single from Oxygene, Oxygene Part 4, it’s kind of like Popcorn, with just a few notes missing, isn’t it?

You needed to be more specific.
Asking : just the opening 5notes of oxygene4 melody sounds as 7notes opening melody popcorn right ?
This is the only resemblence.
Rest of Oxygene4 has nothing to do with popcorn thank heavens.
You should know better.

# BTW it used to be considered rude to refer to a person by their surname as that's what is done when talking down to a person.
Too many magazines, newspapers, articles online do this.
You are Not a rude person therefore
Every instance where you write Jarre you should change it to amicable Jean Michel or a respectful Monsieur Jarre.
Post Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 am
Elf

plate of chips wrote:

Thanks!
plate of chips wrote: (JmJ always been very generous towards Michel Geiss :
Michel Geiss always acknowledged this and cleared up in that lengthy interview available google cache what his own contribution was).
He has indeed. And yeah, Michel Geiss said in an interview with the now defunct Fairlight fan magazine that the notion that he had written large chunks of Jarre's music was absurd.
plate of chips wrote:

"The hit single from Oxygene, Oxygene Part 4, it’s kind of like Popcorn, with just a few notes missing, isn’t it?
plate of chips wrote: # BTW it used to be considered rude to refer to a person by their surname as that's what is done when talking down to a person.
Every instance where you write Jarre you should change it to amicable Jean Michel or a respectful Monsieur Jarre.
Well, then google and find the interviews with him online. They all refer to him as Jarre. Even if I would say "Jean-Michel" to him in person, it would seem to buddy-like to put that in the interview. It's quite the reverse, it's considered more rude to use the first name rather than the last name. Unless you had interviewed Prince...

David Bowie didn't give many interviews in the last 20 years of his life, but in the ones he did give, in not one single one would you find it says David. Nor will you find Peter when people interview Gabriel.
-Elf-
Post Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am
Dr_Jones

plate of chips wrote:# BTW it used to be considered rude to refer to a person by their surname as that's what is done when talking down to a person.
Depends on where you live, I guess. Here it's used as formal speak.
Post Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm
plate of chips

Elf wrote:
plate of chips wrote:

Thanks!
Welcome !
Elf wrote:
plate of chips wrote:

You needed to be more specific.
Asking : just the opening 5notes of oxygene4 melody sounds as 7notes opening melody popcorn right ?
This is the only resemblance.
Rest of Oxygene4 has nothing to do with popcorn thank heavens.
You should know better.
There's so many questions one could ask about Oxygene. I could easily spend two hours enquiring Oxygene4.
To ask this about popcorn is terrible.
Its as asking Vangelis did he copy Chariots of Fire theme when there's so many other questions one could ask Vangelis.
JmJ is so decent he puts up with this type of frankly rubbish questions.

Remember as a journalist you can always improve.
Therefore take this as something you can improve upon.

Elf wrote:
Well, then google and find the interviews with him online. They all refer to him as Jarre. Even if I would say "Jean-Michel" to him in person, it would seem to buddy-like to put that in the interview. It's quite the reverse, it's considered more rude to use the first name rather than the last name. Unless you had interviewed Prince...

David Bowie didn't give many interviews in the last 20 years of his life, but in the ones he did give, in not one single one would you find it says David. Nor will you find Peter when people interview Gabriel.

Yes too many unmannered articles, newspapers, magazines.
It's better manners in an article to say Monsieur Jarre. Mr Gabriel, Mr Bowie.

plate of chips wrote: used to be considered rude to refer to a person by their surname as that's what is done when talking down to a person.
Post Posted Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 pm
Dr_Jones

IMHO, you can never ask enough about Popcorn.
Post Posted Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 am
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

Elf wrote:(...) I don't want to pull a Rolling Stone Record Guide, where they changed the grading for old albums, because it was certainly unhip to like progressive rock and othe reasons.(...)
Reminds me the reverse story. I used the Rolling Stone website once while doing a review of Daft Punk's Discovery, the album got a very average 3/5 stars at the time but eventually pulled out 33rd rank on the top 100 albums of the 2000's list by some kind of hype.
The whole point is "Can art be subject to notations?" against "Is this album more enjoyable than the previous one?"...
Post Posted Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 am
Elf

Friday! And Jean-Michel Jarre's new album is out today. Celebrate that, and the start of the weekend, with the SECOND part of my huge interview with him. Today: Teeth fly while making Zoolook. And you get videos and a playlist too! Read! Share! Like! Woohooo!

http://domino.elfworld.org/the-journey- ... rash-bins/
-Elf-
Post Posted Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am
plate of chips

Elf wrote: http://domino.elfworld.org/the-journey- ... rash-bins/

Fiona even gave me 30 minutes extra, which was very sweet of her.

JmJ on your China concerts observations " You are the first one I talk to who has mentioned that, but we are in complete agreement."
"You know, that’s a perfect way to put it! You are absolutely right!
"

Elf you are clearly different from other interviewers, more familiar for JmJ.
JmJ' s reactions to you shows this : JmJ appreciates you.
Fiona appreciates you.

This is why I suggested Elf you write Jean Michel instead of Jarre in your writeup (Monsieur Jarre would do as its quite humorous, respectful).
Writing Jarre makes you sound as any other interviewer.

Fascinating
Elf wrote: Re CinC Overture : And the sound engineer made a mistake and he played Magnetic Fields 1 at half speed. And I said: “That’s it,” ha ha!

JmJ raction to chiptunes 8bit : " I really adored them "

Zoolook " I went to London and spent two months in Trident studios, and it was a disaster. I finally finished the mixing in my own studio. "

You used the amazing bass player Marcus Miller on Zoolook.
I interviewed him a few years back, and he said the session musicians in New York at the time only referred to you as
the French guy who goes ‘Mother fuckeeeeer.’
Jarre laughs out loud
Gangsta 8)
Elf wrote: Rendez-Vous IV...found it in the garbage. It was a demo I had made which I just didn’t like.
Rendez-Vous IV has become a running joke within my entourage. I can’t even listen to it anymore.
JmJ is being too hard on himself.
Rendezvous Houston concert really required Rend4 to uplift Houston, NASA. Just looking reactions Houston audience.

These days its significance is diminished.
I also hardly listen to it even though as a teen it was my second cover after oxygene4.

Patrick Rondat version Hong Kong in Concert most rocking.
JmJ should made electric guitar lead melody on original then it wouldn't sound as static on the album.
Miami Vice Jan Hammer guitar sound , Top Gun guitar theme springs to mind.

Elf wrote: Computer Weekend – Röyksopp told me they love that track.
– Really? The mosquito in that song is changing into a dog in the end, it’s really crazy, he he.
And the title track has this great Islamic chant. You know, this track used to be played on radio in France, but there were so many right wingers who called and wrote in and complained, that the radio stations chickened out and stopped playing it.
JmJs most diverse album.
JmJ took electronic music to whole new level.
JmJ should continued exploring such rich diversity.
Future Sound of London influenced by Tokyo Kid.
Post Posted Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:26 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Before the Roland D-50 VST was released, I had no idea about how few D-50 factory presets JMJ used on the album. A lot of the ones in Revolutions come from preset disks - meaning that he, or someone in his team, had to procure a bunch of (possibly obscure) preset diskettes for the album.

Not to mention that even after all these years, not all of them still have been recovered by fans. ;)

Regardless, great interviews! Looking forward to the next part
Post Posted Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:50 pm
Elf

Thanks for the nice words so far, guys.

Part 3 is now up! -> http://domino.elfworld.org/the-journey- ... p-playing/
-Elf-

• 2020 Zoolook.nl