BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Oxygene 4 RMI lead
Author Message
matt222 

Age: 45
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 624
Location: Derby, England
Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 pm   Oxygene 4 RMI lead

Experiment to mimic the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer lead - made here on a Nordlead
https://soundcloud.com/mattc-958632216/jean-michel-jarre-oxygene-4-rmi-solo-experiment
 
Herr Dunkel 

Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Posts: 157
Location: Philly, yo!
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am   

Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.
_________________
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
 
Analog-Umph 


Age: 38
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 1734
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 am   

Okay let's see if we can refine this even further.

Drop many of the first partials in gain, and get the top most ones loud. That's part of what makes that sound so "HUH?" and difficult to emulate for most people - a true legacy of the unnaturalness of what an additive synthesizer is capable of, in contrast to what subtractive synths aim for via the filter.
And that is also what makes it sound "pro" instead of amateurish. It's the simple RIGHT manipulation of partials in a sound.

Also, see if you can experiment with the sound itself, giving it two layers. One more percussive and bell-like (same timbre), another as it is currently, more lead-like.

:lol: @ the end.
_________________
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
 
Analog-Umph 


Age: 38
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 1734
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 am   

Herr Dunkel wrote:
Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.

2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?
_________________
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
 
Jote 


Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Location: Lodz, Poland
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:23 pm   

I like how he demoes those sounds (which sound hardly like the originals, esp the RMI) and then actually proceeds with 1976 versions using playback :>
_________________
airwolfthemes.com
 
Herr Dunkel 

Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Posts: 157
Location: Philly, yo!
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 am   

Analog-Umph wrote:
Herr Dunkel wrote:
Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.

2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?



They are both the lead - 1 sound has a lower pitch than the other one, but it seems the difference is more than just the pitch. What do I know? At any rate Jarre announces 4 sounds "first, second, third, fourth" when he talks to the audience.
_________________
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
 
Analog-Umph 


Age: 38
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 1734
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:00 pm   

Herr Dunkel wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:
Herr Dunkel wrote:
Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.

2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?



They are both the lead - 1 sound has a lower pitch than the other one, but it seems the difference is more than just the pitch. What do I know? At any rate Jarre announces 4 sounds "first, second, third, fourth" when he talks to the audience.


Good point. I never thought of it as 2 sounds, but now that you mention it, the higher octave does sound disconnected from the lower octave. Perhaps differently processed or different partial setting on the additive synth.
_________________
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
 
matt222 

Age: 45
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 624
Location: Derby, England
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm   

The sound on the Tour demo was a new - yet to be released - Nordlead 2

I made my sound on this very keyboard - getting the first one into the UK!

It is quite a thin sound in isolation and only becomes 'The Oxygene Sound when put through the Electric Mistress pedal
 
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Add this topic to your bookmarks
Printable version

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB modified by Przemo © 2003 phpBB Group
Template FIBlack modified by Falcone
Page generated in 0.36 second. SQL queries: 11