BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Width of pictures limit
Quicky 

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:18 pm   Width of pictures limit

Hi guys,

I've been somewhat mystified as to the reasons for limiting the width of pictures on the forum to 400 pixels. For one, the pictures have to be loaded anyway, whether they're really only 400 pixels wide or are actually 3000 pixels wide. The browser just displays them smaller, so from a bandwidth point of view there is absolutely no gain with this small 400 pixel image width. Secondly, at a resolution of 800x600, the forum doesn't display without sliders, so I don't think it makes much sense to limit the image width so dramatically for that reason. Thirdly, at a more common 1024x768 resolution, the maximum picture width could easily be raised to 750 pixels without introducing sliders.

Bottom line... I don't really understand the reasons for the maximum image width of 400 pixels, and I think it would be much more pleasant and equally supportive of small resolution screens to use a maximum image size of 750x750 or 700x700 pixels.

Anyway... this isn't a photography forum of course, so I don't want to press the matter, I'm just giving you my 2 cents on this, as I think people will be appreciate images made by fans at the many events much better.

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:42 pm   

I get your point. I'll have a look into it and let you know.. ;)

Quicky 

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:49 pm   

GeeJee wrote:
I get your point. I'll have a look into it and let you know.. ;)

Now that's service. :fine:

CLUBMIX 
Representative Admin, Discography Expert

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 pm   

isn't the limitation because the threads' size won't be affected too much by many pictures when they're kept at "reasonable" measures? True, the bigger pictures have to be loaded, but only when clicked, and not from the start, plus, not from this page, but from external picture hosting sites.

So initially, only the reduced measured pictures are loaded when opening a thread. Just imagine if you had your pictures posted in their original size (VERRI NICE PIX, BTW!!) in the other thread, it would sure look nice, but on the other hand, people with smaller bandwidth would be waiting forever and a day for them to be displayed....

just my "a couple point 50" cents on that.... :hombre:

Official Zoolook Partner

Quicky 

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:26 am   

CLUBMIX wrote:
isn't the limitation because the threads' size won't be affected too much by many pictures when they're kept at "reasonable" measures? True, the bigger pictures have to be loaded, but only when clicked, and not from the start, plus, not from this page, but from external picture hosting sites.

So initially, only the reduced measured pictures are loaded when opening a thread. Just imagine if you had your pictures posted in their original size (VERRI NICE PIX, BTW!!) in the other thread, it would sure look nice, but on the other hand, people with smaller bandwidth would be waiting forever and a day for them to be displayed....

just my "a couple point 50" cents on that.... :hombre:

Thanks for the compliment ;) . But what you're saying is not true (as far as I know). At first I thought it was a bandwidth issue as well, but the pictures shown in the threads are exactly the same file size as the full size ones you see when you click on them. Furthermore, if you right-click and save one of the pictures in the thread and open it, you'll see the full-size version. You can try this out by clicking on a picture you're certain you haven't clicked on before. If what you say is true, the browser would still have to load the full-size picture. But what I'm seeing is that all pictures load instantaneously, even though some are 500KB large. So... even though it seems to conserve bandwidth, it doesn't really. I don't think it would even be possible actually, since the small versions would have to be made on the fly, unless you store the pictures on the forum server, no?

In fact, I would go so far as to say that it works the other way around. Since people think their pictures are being made smaller anyway, they don't bother resizing and compressing to an appropriate size. You'll see for example that at least the pictures here are all about 300KB and larger, and all of that has to be downloaded.

Anyway, it's not terribly important, but I do think this could be improved :) .

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 am   

I have had a look and it seems to be a setting somewhere deep in the forum software that I can't change. I'll ask around.

Quicky 

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 pm   

GeeJee wrote:
I have had a look and it seems to be a setting somewhere deep in the forum software that I can't change. I'll ask around.

I see :) .

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 pm   

Quicky wrote:
GeeJee wrote:

I see :) .

Thanks for reminding me to ask someone :P

:hypocrit:

Reply to topic