BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
If you had just a year of life left....
Ronja
English Moderator

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:32 pm   If you had just a year of life left....

I remember reading a book with such a title (in fact that's translation from the title of the Polish edition, the original one is "A year to live") some years ago. The author - Stephen Levine - proposed the reader to live like if he/she had just a one year of life left. What does the idea come from? Many people being told that they will die soon change their life completely. They don't care about "what will the people say" anymore as they know it's the last chance for them to behave as they want, to realize their dreams, fulfil their expectations. So they divorce - or get married, resign from their jobs, break toxic relationships, go abroad, try extreme sports...

What about you? If you heard "I'm sorry to say it but you've probably no more than a year left" one day what would be your next steps?

If you think it's to private to write about it publicly - don't feel forced to do it.
I just guess the question is worth wondering, if you take it seriously and put some effort in imagining the situation, you might learn something about you...I observe that people often don't realize that what seems to be their goals, aren't really theirs. Sometimes they need an impulse to find it out...

www.jeanmicheljarre.pl team

Nico_Noyau 
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:48 pm   

I'm interested in that book, I think I'll read it, thanks :)

If I was about to die in one year, I'd go to my nerd school, of course, but I'd compose a lot of music, then I'd sell it and give the money won to my best friend and my family.
I'd give an appointment to all my friends Jarre fans.
I'd visit one country : Poland.
Then, in the end, I'd give my synths and my Jarre collection to my friends interested in them.

In fact, I'd share a lot for this remaining year

That's all I guess, I may add more afterwards...

My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:03 pm   Re: If you had just a year of life left....

Ronja wrote:
Many people being told that they will die soon change their life completely. They don't care about "what will the people say" anymore as they know it's the last chance for them to behave as they want, to realize their dreams, fulfil their expectations. So they divorce - or get married, resign from their jobs, break toxic relationships, go abroad, try extreme sports...

I already live like that, except for the extreme sports. Although being such a fool as me may be considered as a sport.. :mrgreen:

No, seriously - I won't change anything...

Finaero 

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:50 am   

I'd probably take advantage of all the money I got, travel the world somewhere and at some point design my überawesome funeral involving lasers and explosions and whatever.

OR I have these plans but feel lazy enough to not do anything about them and just play video games.

Dunno.

CLUBMIX 
Representative Admin, Discography Expert

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:23 am   

Spending time with my family, watch the boys grow up, feel very sad about not being able to watch Michel's first day at school, talk to the boys alot about "life beyond", insist on not being too sad about me having to go, trying to convince Sara to look after another man in the not too distant future (because the boys need a father figure).

Then, I would do all the leftover chores that I haven't been doing through the years, no matter how heavy they would be, finish my Jean Michel Jarre discography catalog according to the data there still is on my HD, insist on presenting it to the man himself, entitle one of you to continue this work (if applicable).

Finally, as Nico said, my friends get to spend some time with me, either when coming here or when visiting them. That would include another meeting with all the freaky Jarre fan bunch as we did in Lint end of this Year's March.

And not to forget: have Sara manage my Jarre collection according to her reasonable thoughts what would be the best thing to do with it....

Official Zoolook Partner

Velodynamic 

Anti-bot filter: velody
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:42 pm   

You know...I'm pretty satisfied with my life, so I wouldn't like to change much.
Maybe I would care less about saving some of my money for a later time in my life and spending them more impulsively on things that "feels" right at that very moment.
Maybe I would care less about my health for a longer life and have one or two drinks extra, if it wasn't life threatening at the very second, but overall not any radical changes what I can think of right now. 8)

Jarp2600 

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:32 pm   

Nico_Noyau wrote:
I'm interested in that book, I think I'll read it, thanks :)

If I was about to die in one year, I'd go to my nerd school, of course, but I'd compose a lot of music, then I'd sell it and give the money won to my best friend and my family.
I'd give an appointment to all my friends Jarre fans.
I'd visit one country : Poland.
Then, in the end, I'd give my synths and my Jarre collection to my friends interested in them.
In fact, I'd share a lot for this remaining year

That's all I guess, I may add more afterwards...

Am I a friend? :hypocrit:

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios

Nico_Noyau 

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:35 pm   

I don't want to give names, just in case I don't die in one year and I have to explain my thoughts afterward :pwned:

Robert Dugenou

Attended :
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016

Jarp2600 

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:45 pm   

Nico_Noyau wrote:
I don't want to give names, just in case I don't die in one year and I have to explain my thoughts afterward :pwned:

Well... We can make a deal! :D :mrgreen:

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios

Nico_Noyau 

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:09 pm   

Okay, I open my eyes and I'm redy to read :mrgreen:

Robert Dugenou

Attended :