BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Your favourite VST...?
Mike Earsen 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm   Your favourite VST...?

OK, there was a talk about comparison between hardware and software instruments.
There was a talk about a favourite synth.
So, now I'll ask you: What is your favourite software synthesizer and sound module? The second one is also important because despite huge amount of data to be installed in comparison with synths, the number of this kind of products is still growing.
I'm not gonna talk about advantages and disadvantages, about women's breasts (Greetings AMR... :wink: )...
What do you use most often and why?
I'll write about 3 synths and 3 sound modules:

My favourite soft synths are Korg M1 VST and Wavestation VST, because of sounds they are, let's say in 98%, the same (I'm not sure whether they are exactly) and popular especially in 1990's. It's a brilliant duo for creating 'New Age' pieces.
Also "rgc:audio z3ta+" is one of my favourites, because of 6 oscillators and wavetable synthesis, so that gives the ability to create very warm pads and strings, or deep basses.

From sound modules the best for me is still Atmosphere from Spectrasonics. It's not a new product, but for me it still sounds fresh (Greetings, Eric! :wink: )
Sonik Synth 2 has a great sample library of analog and digital synths, samplers, drum machines (acoustic instruments, such as pianos, guitars, orchestral instruments too)... and simple waveforms of them, so you can create your own patch quite quickly.
EastWest Colossus is good, but really huge (32 GB of data). There are high quality multisamples of acoustic instruments and other things, listed in General MIDI 'table' (from 'Acoustic Piano' to 'Gun Shot' - you know what I mean :) ). Very useful in pop and jazz.

By the way - I'm glad to have Keystation Pro-88, cause it helps me a lot with tweaking synth patches.

Regards,
Mike 8)

Finaero 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:38 pm   

minimoog V

God, I've overused that since I rediscovered it in April or May 2005 :p

GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:28 pm   

I use many of them, although it's not really a favourite, I do use the impOscar a lot... :)

Pete 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:24 pm   

Probably these are the best plug-ins ever made:

http://www.sonicfinger.com

Have a look

P.

BnM

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:25 pm   

Right now Sonik Synth2.

If I have more bread & can make good use of it:
East West, Cakewalk Dimensio Pro. the Korg stuff, Spectrasonics stuff.

Mike Earsen 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:31 pm   

Pete wrote:

http://www.sonicfinger.com

Have a look

P.

Heh, I forgot VST effects - AFAIK, Waves makes great plugins for mastering audio. But I'll take a look at this site later :wink:

Mike Earsen 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 pm   

GeeJee wrote:
I use many of them, although it's not really a favourite, I do use the impOscar a lot... :)

I use impOSCar rarely, but last time he became useful for this lead:
JP8k Lead (impOSCar)

BnM

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:23 pm   

Pete wrote:
http://www.sonicfinger.com Have a lookP.

Let me take out a remortgage to buy one of these :D

Equinoxe 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:17 pm   Re: Your favourite VST...?

Arsen wrote:
My favourite soft synths are Korg M1 VST and Wavestation VST, because of sounds they are, let's say in 98%, the same (I'm not sure whether they are exactly) and popular especially in 1990's. It's a brilliant duo for creating 'New Age' pieces.
Also "rgc:audio z3ta+" is one of my favourites, because of 6 oscillators and wavetable synthesis, so that gives the ability to create very warm pads and strings, or deep basses.

Mike 8)

I have the Hardware and softsynths(M1/Wavey)close your eyes ,and listen,you wouldn't hear any imperfections between the 2.They are in my eyes perfect clones

As for my Favourite....

Has to be the Aruria ARP2600/Minimoog
and the ems synthi Aks

Mike Earsen 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:14 pm   Re: Your favourite VST...?

Equin(00)xe wrote:

I have the Hardware and softsynths(M1/Wavey)close your eyes ,and listen,you wouldn't hear any imperfections between the 2.They are in my eyes perfect clones ...

... and the ems synthi Aks

I've read somewhere that some PCM 'samples' are improved in comparison with the hardware, but as I browse and listen to some of Vangelis' or Oldfield's work, I think they're the same. I'm not talking about the interface - that's obvious :wink:

If you're talking about the VST version - it is called EMS Synthi AVS. BTW, sounds nice, but I haven't learned the matrix yet... :)

Mike

LeoDaV 

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 pm   

For me that must be Reaktor.

I can create any synth-type or sound FX I want with Reaktor.

The only (commercial) VST that sounds really close to the original thing is the Modular V (yes, I played on a real one...).

J.

E-vert 

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:51 pm   

Kantos.

Reply to topic