BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Jean-Baptiste aka jeanbatman
lahavana 

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:10 pm   

Thank you very much! I am honoured to be the first, and also, honoured to see our banner on your site and to be included among the JMJ sites of the world! It means a lot to us! If you don't mind, Vlad (my partner in crime :) )will too, be sending you his answers to your questions, as he's got his story to tell as well :) We think it a great idea to put up this questionnaire - it helps give insight on the impact of JMJ's music on his fans - it does for some very interesting reading!

AnDrOiD 

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:26 pm   

GeeJee wrote:
Little Boobs

:nod: :lol:

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

jeanbatman 

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 am   

GeeJee wrote:
Thanks for this itv Jean B., great questions :wink2:

You're welcome... I really happy to read all of your concerns on this issue.
Very interesting reading. :D

jeanbatman 

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00 pm   Kanta's interview

Kanta is the second fan on my blog: http://jmjarrefan.wordpre...a-from-england/

Thanks to her!
---------
Note: Please vote for your favorite concert and album and concert

Kanta 
English Moderator & Miss News

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:25 pm   

:oops: , thanxs Jean-Baptiste. Most honoured. :mrgreen:
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016

littlesister 

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:09 pm   

For my sins .... here are my answers to jeanbatman's questions .... I think I may have gone on a bit too much .... :oops: 8) :wink: ... ready for the ridicule sure to come my way ....

1- Under which circumstances did you discover Jarre?

Looking back, I feel like I discovered Jean Michel and his music in fits and starts, little by little, small pieces at a time. Firstly, it was through listening to cheap cassettes of synth music covers bought from market stalls when I was young in the early eighties ( although I didn't have a face or name to put to the music). Then I recall seeing his name and the cover image of Oxygene on folders some boys in my class at school had, and seeing the Houston concert on UK TV around about the same time ( that was 1986) ... so I had a face and name to go with the music. The final piece of the puzzle was provided by my brother, who bought Revolutions when it was released and allowed me to listen to it. I fell completely in love with the music ( and, to be honest, with the cover image ... :oops: . ), and it made me want to find out more .... and so it started.

2- When since do you consider yourself as a fan?

I became interested in Jean Michel around the time of Revolutions ... about 1988. I don't think I could call myself a fan then - I liked the music and the visuals, but hadn't experienced enough of it to call myself a fan .... that took a little bit longer. After a time buying the albums previous to Revolutions and listening to them a lot ( and realising I knew and liked a lot of it already ! ), then watching Destination Docklands on TV and later on Video, things started to change. I found myself more and more interested ... it was if someone had flicked a switch in my brain. I wanted to find out more, wanted to see what the next step in the journey might be ...which turned out to be Waiting for Cousteau and Paris - La Defense. So it was around then .... 1989/90 that I think I actually became a fan, and have been ever since.

3- What are your three favorite albums?

It is hard to pick just three, as I like them all in various ways ..... so my favourites have a tendency to change with my moods !
I suppose if I have to choose, then it would be these 3 :

Oxygene - because it is so timeless and so calming and just ... beautiful. It was while listening to this one day that something just when 'ping' in my brain, and I changed from someone who just liked the music into a fan of it. I think this album will always be a favourite, for lots of reasons.

Chronologie - I have a soft spot for this album, because this was the one which was connected to the Europe in Concert Tour ... and that was the first time I was lucky enough to see/hear Jean Michel live for myself - at Wembley Stadium one warm August night..... lots of memories connected to that.

Finally , I think GOL ( Geometry of Love ) - not a usual choice, I know. Despite the slightly risque nature of the cover image ;-) , despite it not really being a studio album per se but a side project, despite it not being the greatest thing Jean Michel has produced, despite all that, I really like it. To me, it has elements of the child-like wonder, the innocence of the "classic "Jarre albums ( Oxygene, Equinoxe, Chants Magnetique, Zoolook) but tempered with a sense of knowing ... of worldly experience ... of experience of the heart and of more carnal matters ...... a more 'adult' album to appeal to a more adult me perhaps .... ?
4- Do you collect Jarre items and if so, which kind (discs, merchandising,...) ?

Like most fans, I have the studio albums , videos, DVD's plus a few mp3's of unreleased concerts, but I don't think I really have a collection. I have been lucky enough ( or should that be determined enough ... ? ) to acquire most of the photobooks connected to Jean Michel's concerts though - I am as interested in the visuals, the ideas behind the concerts as I am the music.

5- Did you ever want to make your own music?

No, not really .... I am not particularly musically minded I'm afraid. I am just happy being a passive consumer of it all .... his music inspires me in other ways though.

6- Did Jarre ever change your sight on things outside music like architecture, photograph, environment, painting?

I don't think he has changed my views on things. Through his music and concerts, listening to interviews and learning more about Jean Michel and his views, I think he has made me think more about certain subjects, some I may not have considered before perhaps, so he has influenced me in that way. Through thinking about them more I have found myself forming opinions of my own - some I share with Jean Michel, some I don't..... he has widened my horizons perhaps, presented me with other points of view to consider ?

7- Do you speak about Jarre to your fellow mates of family and what are the most usual reactions?

My family and close friends know all about my petite obsession with Jarre !! Some are fans too, others are not but at least know who he is. Unfortunately, the most common reaction from anyone else to his name is "Who ?" .... some of the older ones (30 +) will remember when I mention the mega concerts he had done in the 80's/90's or Oxygene , but other than them, no-one seems to have heard of him.

8- What do you search by being on Jarre forums?

I have used the forums as a source of information, especially in the time before the formal official website, and as a place to make like-minded friends with people who have some idea about who and what I am talking about !

9- Has there been a moment when you wanted to drop it all?

As of yet, no, and I cannot see there going to be either. So far,since I became a fan in the late 80's, I have always found something to inspire me, to make me think, to make me feel, to like in Jean Michel's work - be it the music, the visuals, the ideas .... yes, even in Teo and Tea !. There are times when I am more inspired by it, there are times when I am less .... but there has always been something there for me to like, no matter how small. All the time that continues, I will continue to consider myself a fan.

10- If you had to describe Jarre to a person that does not know Jarre at all, what would you tell him first?

That he is a French composer/musician who uses synths and electronic instruments to create his music. He is (mostly) known for his huge concerts with music, lasers, lights and fireworks, performed in unexpected, outside locations.

11- If you could meet Jarre one-to-one for five minutes, what would you tell him?

If I met Jean Michel one-to-one, I would probably turn into a gibbering wreck and a complete "fan-girl" to be honest ! If I didn't, or if I could compose myself enough not to be , then I expect I would just say something simple like "Thank You". I might explain that his music has helped me through some bad times in my life, and illuminated some of the high points too. It has inspired me, opened my mind to new worlds and new experiences .It means a lot to me, and for that, I would like to say thank you. Not the most original or interesting thing to say, but there it is.

12- What other artists (electronic artists) do please you?

Air, Engima, Leftfield, Royskopp ... many others, but these come to mind now.

13- What is, in your opinion, the greatest concert of Jean Michel? And why?

Like with my favourite album, it is hard to pick which is the greatest concert. I suppose, visually, it would be either Paris-La Defense ( for just the mind-blowing scale of it all, the taking control, the "hijacking" of such an area .... the Pyramid stage, the laser drawings on the buildings, the fireworks .... and for creating my most enduring image of Jean Michel himself - in the red "Ringmasters" coat and Doc Martin boots, portable synth slung around him, standing there, conducting it all.... ) or maybe Water for LIfe ( the photos I have seen of it look amazing .... its location, surrounded by seemingly untouched dessert, the images used, the fireworks, the laser harp .... an indication of how great 12 DOTS could have been if the fog hadn't descended .... ). Musically, I think I would choose 12 DOTS or Aero ( the windmill concert ), because of the brilliant new versions of well known pieces performed in them.... hearing familiar music in a new way.
http://www.amnesty.org.uk

Kanta 

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm   

Very interesting interview, Jess. 8) I understand the wreck part. :robertdugenou:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010

jeanbatman 

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 am   New vidéo from Jeanbatman

I just uploaded my new Personal ad video for <2010> in France.

Enjoy!

Kanta 

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 am   

That's a grand video. 8) Is that your music accompanying the video?
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010

jeanbatman 

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:52 am   Sweet memories: Tribute to In-doors 2009

Kanta wrote:
That's a grand video. 8) Is that your music accompanying the video?

Thanks Kanta... Yes.... I make all the videos with my own music and none of Jarre's to avoid being banned by the U-Tube policemen. :wink:

BTW I made a second one called: "Sweet memories". Give me 5! :wink:

Kanta 

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 pm   

Very lovely composing. 8)

Done and gave you 5, of course. :D
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010