BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Zoolook
GeeJee 
The GUV'NOR

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 pm   

Wahey.. there ya go :D

Let's return ontopic :)

marnix

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 pm   

Yess, I got it, now I'm a proper forum dude :D thanks GeeJee

marnix

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:41 pm   

Thanks Ronja also for your advise, Ethnicolor is brilliant!

Christophe 

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:05 pm   

marnix wrote:
Thanks Ronja also for your advise, Ethnicolor is brilliant!

Yeah... :D 8) :wink:

Greetzzz...

Aneka65 

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:39 pm   

Album JMJ Zoolook great music :fine: :P .

42ekar 

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:59 pm   

I remember they played "Zoolook" as an outro of the swedish science tv-program for children, "HjÀrnkontoret". One of my favorite programs as a child. :mrgreen:

I think Zoolook is a weird album, but definatly in a good way. My favorites are Zoolook and Blah Blah Cafe

And is there any difference of the original Zoolook and the remix? I haven't even heard the original so I don't know :mrgreen:

Pat Gleeson 

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:07 pm   

42ekar wrote:

And is there any difference of the original Zoolook and the remix? I haven't even heard the original so I don't know :mrgreen:

The tracks 'Zoolook' and 'Zoolookologie' are slightly different between the releases. I personally prefer the originals. Check out the Sony 1997 remastered CD which reinstated the originals, and added a few seconds to 'Ethnicolor'.

42ekar 

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:40 pm   

Pat Gleeson wrote:
42ekar wrote:

The tracks 'Zoolook' and 'Zoolookologie' are slightly different between the releases. I personally prefer the originals. Check out the Sony 1997 remastered CD which reinstated the originals, and added a few seconds to 'Ethnicolor'.

Where did they come from? :mrgreen:

It's hard to find anything that's Jarre here in sweden, at least were I live...

Pat1982 

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:14 pm   

I found verry little difference when listening to the original version of Zoolook.
Actually I didn't heard it until the 3th time :P
The remixed version uses a little extra reverb or something like that, and at the final 30 sec. there is an effect missing.

The track Zoolookologie has more difference that is easily hearable.
some effects are missing, others mixed different. and especially from 1:51 to 2:25 and again 3:03 to the end sound quite unfinished.

So, the remixed versions are indeed better than the originals, if you have that 1984 or 1997 version you'd better change :mrgreen:

Petr 

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:43 pm   

Pat Gleeson wrote:

Please can you describe which part is added or prolonged in Ethnicolor? Do you mean Eth I or Eth. II? I have both versions released by Polydor.

Jakob BC 
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:26 pm   

'Ethnicolor' is usually just 'Ethnicolor I'.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood your question about parts :P

Pat Gleeson 

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm   

Quote:
Please can you describe which part is added or prolonged in Ethnicolor? Do you mean Eth I or Eth. II? I have both versions released by Polydor.

I mean Ethnicolor I :D

If you listen carefully, you will hear an extra few seconds from 6'46" to 6'53".
The main note sustains longer, and there's an extra bell toll :D

Pat1982 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:21 pm   

Pat Gleeson wrote:
If you listen carefully, you will hear an extra few seconds from 6'46" to 6'53".
The main note sustains longer, and there's an extra bell toll :D

hehe indeed :D
i'm not sure I would have noticed if you hadn't specified the times :P

Pat Gleeson 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm   

I'd been listening to it most days since it's release, so when the remaster come out, I could instantly hear the difference. :D

tinmachine 

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:04 pm   

This was the third Jarre CD I got in late 1988, after Revolutions and Equinoxe. I hadn't heard anything about Zoolook, but was kind of expecting something different, and it was. I had the remixed re-release one, which had Zoolookologie remix as track 3 and Zoolook remix as track 5. I kept listening to Zoolookologie as I thought it really funny, upbeat and delightful, and is still in my top 5 favourite Jarre tracks.

I got the original 1984 release on CD when it was remastered during the 90's. Found the original version of Zoolook to be similar but "flatter" sounding and not as good, and the "tsut" voices to be missing during the start of the choruses to Zoolookologie to be annoying. Also Ethnicolor was longer, it drags on a bit too long in my opinion as the slow section finishes before the rhythm section kicks in.

I also think there may be differences in the length of Blah Blah Cafe, although this may be with Images or Music For Supermarkets.

But for me, Zoolook is an album of 3 outstanding tracks (Ethnicolor I, Zoolookologie and Zoolook), the rest I really have to be in the mood for! But not taking anything away, it is highly innovative and different and really proves Jarre's creative genius.

PS - also noticed the 1985 remixed CD names the track "Woolloomooloo" rather than "Wooloomooloo"!

PPS - As some may know I'm a big PLD fan, and loved the Ethnicolor/Zoolookologie live performance. One of the most amazing live moments I've witnessed, especially when Zoolookologie kicked in!

PPPS - Most times when I listen to Zoolook, I start to think about Americans walking around in shorts eating burgers in some downtown park!!!

Reply to topic