Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Music for Supermarkets

Post Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:04 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Seems to be another edit in the vein of these two:

They forgot to add the reflection on the "MFS" one, though. ;)
Post Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jean Michel Jarre — Music for supermarkets. Story behind one-copy album

Source:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 am
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

Kanta, I think it's pointless resurrecting the thread unless some new info/evidence/recording comes up.
Post Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 am
jeanbatman

Online Now
Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

Well, the article is well made!
Post Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:47 am
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

According to the article the master tapes were not burned. ;)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am
AERO62

I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album. The one made by Radek is a bit off, some of the sounds don't completely match.
Post Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:46 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

AERO62 wrote:I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album.
Well, it's very hard to replicate something that the only copy is in such a poor quality:
1. no low and high frequencies
2. one channel only

A lot of guess work/artistic license is required.
Post Posted Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 am
AERO62

Jote wrote:
AERO62 wrote:I think with the amount of VST plugings available these days, one could create almost identical replica of the whole album.
Well, it's very hard to replicate something that the only copy is in such a poor quality:
1. no low and high frequencies
2. one channel only

A lot of guess work/artistic license is required.
Not if you could find the person at Radio Luxemburg who played the record and heard the stereo effects himself :twisted: The other half you can base off of Zoolook and Rendez vous tracks.
Post Posted Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 am
shadow

Likes received  : 35

If you asked me how the panning on Oxygene was done I couldn't save my life by accurately describing it, and that's considering I've heard it over hundred times in the past few years. You think someone can still remember after nearly 35 years?

I'm still surprised that the person who owns it is unknown. From what I can understand the first and second resell is documented and known, but after that the tracking of the record/owner stopped and is now unknown/lost. A brand new digital rip would be amazing (or at least as good as can be for a single unique record that's 34 year old), the record would still keep the original value due to it being a literal one of a kind, but it would really great to hear it in the best possible quality. It would lose the mystical part that it has had over all these years, but I'd honestly take that.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:18 pm
AERO62

shadow wrote:If you asked me how the panning on Oxygene was done I couldn't save my life by accurately describing it, and that's considering I've heard it over hundred times in the past few years. You think someone can still remember after nearly 35 years?

I'm still surprised that the person who owns it is unknown. From what I can understand the first and second resell is documented and known, but after that the tracking of the record/owner stopped and is now unknown/lost. A brand new digital rip would be amazing (or at least as good as can be for a single unique record that's 34 year old), the record would still keep the original value due to it being a literal one of a kind, but it would really great to hear it in the best possible quality. It would lose the mystical part that it has had over all these years, but I'd honestly take that.
I was wondering though, if sharing copyrighted material is a violation and the record is the only one existing, it would be beyond easy to track the person who shares it... And in theory, that person could be charged with piracy, no?
Post Posted Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 pm
shadow

On the one hand yes, on the other... Supposedly no one knows where it is at the moment so there's that. That and I honestly doubt Jarre would care about it being shared. The public airing of it was introduced with: "Piratez moi!."
Post Posted Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Today, it's been 35 years since the album was released. Listening to it now, it's a fascinating album.
Post Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm
shadow

For a moment I hoped the bumb would result into something positive... You monster! :nod:
Post Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I'm sorry. I wished there was something to say about it, but alas.
Post Posted Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:06 am
AERO62

An interesting cover of MFS1

• 2020 Zoolook.nl