BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Georgio Moroder
Mogwai 

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:05 pm   

Jakob BC wrote:
Now as you mention The Never Ending Story, to my surprise he produced the track that was sung by Limahl, besides that he did that nice Ivory Tower Theme.

In fact it was Klaus Doldinger who made most of the soundtrack - including Ivory Tower.
The "real" soundtrack only seems to have been released in Germany while the rest of the world had to be thankful for a cut down version of this album and the songs from Moroder.

http://www.amazon.com/Die...r/dp/B000006YA4

Jakob BC 
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm   

Mogwai wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:
Now as you mention The Never Ending Story, to my surprise he produced the track that was sung by Limahl, besides that he did that nice Ivory Tower Theme.

In fact it was Klaus Doldinger who made most of the soundtrack - including Ivory Tower.
The "real" soundtrack only seems to have been released in Germany while the rest of the world had to be thankful for a cut down version of this album and the songs from Moroder.

http://www.amazon.com/Die...r/dp/B000006YA4

Argh I don't know the real stuff, just the electronic version as used on the later Official Soundtrack. The Ivory Tower track was also a non-electronic track in the film. I don't know if Doldinger did that, or if that was music by Moroder and maybe composed by Doldinger.

Mogwai 

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:14 pm   

Jakob BC wrote:

Argh I don't know the real stuff, just the electronic version as used on the later Official Soundtrack. The Ivory Tower track was also a non-electronic track in the film. I don't know if Doldinger did that, or if that was music by Moroder and maybe composed by Doldinger.

Not easy to know since it was only released in Germany. :) Doldinger made the "symphony" version but I don't know if Moroder helped him to compose it. Both of the soundtracks contain electronic music but they use synths in different ways.

Doldinger has also made the soundtrack for Das Boot and even a whole electronic album called Constellation in the early eighties. Now he just plays jazz. :)

An album by Moroder that I highly recommend is "Einzelgänger". A lot of nice stuff in the style of Kraftwerk. It's a bit rare today but not impossible to find.

Jakob BC 

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:42 pm   

Mogwai wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:

Not easy to know since it was only released in Germany. :) Doldinger made the "symphony" version but I don't know if Moroder helped him to compose it. Both of the soundtracks contain electronic music but they use synths in different ways.

Doldinger has also made the soundtrack for Das Boot and even a whole electronic album called Constellation in the early eighties. Now he just plays jazz. :)

An album by Moroder that I highly recommend is "Einzelgänger". A lot of nice stuff in the style of Kraftwerk. It's a bit rare today but not impossible to find.

But you always know when it's a Moroder track :wink: His version of the Ivory Tower track has a beat a simple bassline and those lush Moroder strings.
Anyway the old records say the Ivory Tower track is composed and produced by Giorgio Moroder. I'd like to know how the version from the Klaus Doldinger only soundtrack sounds like, as there does excist this more romantic version of this track, as used in the film eventhough some music is always edited so it fits the mood in the movie.

I have heard about the 'Einzelgänger' album before but I never found it.

Mogwai 

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:18 pm   

Jakob BC wrote:

Anyway the old records say the Ivory Tower track is composed and produced by Giorgio Moroder. I'd like to know how the version from the Klaus Doldinger only soundtrack sounds like, as there does excist this more romantic version of this track, as used in the film eventhough some music is always edited so it fits the mood in the movie.

You can hear elements of Doldingers "Ivory Tower" here. On the soundtrack it's called called "Flug Zum Elfenbeinturm". :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yS-qu-6AA

Jakob BC 

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:07 pm   

Mogwai wrote:
Jakob BC wrote:

You can hear elements of Doldingers "Ivory Tower" here. On the soundtrack it's called called "Flug Zum Elfenbeinturm". :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yS-qu-6AA

Ahh ok that's another track. In the video I have with the original english voices, there is a dedicated piece of music only played when the Ivory Tower is presented in the movie. It has a nice bell melody.

This is the Giorgio Moroder track "Ivory Tower". In the movie it is basically just the mainmelody from this track that is used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAf36iC9FA

And here is a small clip from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/wa...feature=related

Mogwai 

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:29 am   

Jakob BC wrote:

And here is a small clip from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/wa...feature=related

This is interesting because that is not Doldingers version! :shock:

I haven't seen the movie for a long time. But I did remember that many of the songs from the soundtrack (not Doldingers) didn't sound like the ones in the film - among them "Ivory Tower". So I assumed that it was Doldingers music that was used in the film and Moroder helped out with the Limahl song and spiced up disco versions... Seems like I was wrong.

So...there seem to be three versions of Ivory Tower after all!?

Klaus Doldinger - Symphonic version used in the german version of the film only
Giorgio Moroder - Synth-symphonic used in international version of the film
Giorgio Moroder - Pop/Disco version used for B-side on Limahl single and the international soundtrack

EDIT:

God bless imdb.com. :D

Quote:
The German version has score by Klaus Doldinger only, no score by Giorgio Moroder and no song by Limahl.

In the US version there's a little bit of synthesizer music by Moroder when we first see the Racing Snail, in the German version is no music there (also some other scenes in the movie that are originally quiet were filled with music for the US version, either with additional music by Moroder or with pieces from Doldinger's music that were taken from other scenes).

Different music for the presentation of the Ivory Tower: The German version has a majestic and gentle theme by Doldinger featuring an orchestra (mainly strings, plus choir, trumpet and harp), the US version has a powerful synthesizer pop theme by Moroder instead. Also in several other scenes in the US version of the movie Doldinger's great original orchestral music was replaced with new electronic sounds (similar to what was done to Jerry Goldsmith's work in Ridley Scott's movie "Legend" back then).

Atreyu back on Falkor, when they ask Auryn to guide them the way to the Ivory Tower it starts glowing: Here the US version jumps from the Doldinger music to Moroder's Ivory Tower theme, while in the German version the original music continues to play and leads to Doldinger's second Ivory Tower theme then.

A good old - different markets different tastes - attitude I think. They didn't thought that the movie would make it with Doldingers music only. So they asked Moroder to make something hip with his synths and also a pop song for Limahl. In a way I think that they were right since the song is very famous.

Dr_Jones 

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6iLzj4bYE

brilliant

Jarreraser 

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 pm   

The man is a legend. The first track I ever heard of his was 'The Chase' and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Jakob BC 

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:03 pm   

Jarreraser wrote:
The man is a legend. The first track I ever heard of his was 'The Chase' and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Yes that was also the first track I discovered from Moroder, eventhough I knew about the music From The Never Ending Story before. I just didn't know that he was involved untill later when i was discovering what music Moroder had done. I quite like all his track from "The Midnight Express".

He also did two nice tracks for the "Metropolis" soundstrack. 'Machines' is a track worth checking out.

Robi 

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:25 pm   

This song is absolutely amazing !! :party2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4M0SU6alig

Robi 

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:55 pm   

The photo was taken at the period of disco golden era.
Moroder with the beautiful Donna Summer, whom he had worked for so many years and times.
Their first big hit "Love to love you baby" made Donna succesful in the USA and this track brought a new wave in the disco clubs.

Kanta 
English Moderator & Miss News

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:22 pm   

That is one of Donna's best track, "Love To Love You Baby." This version is quite good, too. 8)
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Znith Arna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016

Jarp2600 

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm   

Ah, that reminds me!

If someone here has the "Son of my father" LP (the album, not the single), and wants to get rid of it, I'd really be interested! I've been after that one for a pretty long time!
:)

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios

melo 

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:17 pm   

New Moroder interview

http://www.theguardian.co...an-donna-summer

He likes Jean Michel Jarre :peacemaan:

Code:
You also made an experimental synthesiser album, Einzelganger.

I think it was in '75. I'd completely forgotten about it, but I listened to it a year ago, and thought: "Wow, this is not too bad, I had some interesting sounds." I guess I wanted to do something new. I liked all those guys: Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, [b]Jean Michel Jarre.[/b] It wasn't a commercial success, but I guess it got me a lot of experience working with a synthesiser and some effects.

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011

Reply to topic