Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Rendez-Vouz and Concert in China official DVD-releases

Post Posted Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm
Isabella_R

Apologies for my stupid question, if so:

Is here anyone, who has bought the official DVD release of "Rendez-Vouz in Houston"? I heard that this DVD and the official DVD release of "Concert in China" were available for a short time, until Dreyfus stopped the sale.

Thx in advance.

Isabella
Post Posted Thu May 13, 2010 12:59 pm
jarrepaul

The Concerts in China DVD is available on the torrent sites. It's just a VHS rip. Quality no better than the VHS. I don't think Houston ever got released. I thinl it was Dreyfus who wanted to release them but Jarre did not. Reason being they were just the VHS version put on disk. Jarre would want rhem all digitaly remastered. Something like that anyway.
Europe in Concert Manchester 1993
Oxygène Tour Manchester 1997
World Tour 2010 Manchester
Post Posted Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am
Pat1982

Isabella_R wrote:Apologies for my stupid question, if so:

Is here anyone, who has bought the official DVD release of "Rendez-Vouz in Houston"? I heard that this DVD and the official DVD release of "Concert in China" were available for a short time, until Dreyfus stopped the sale.

Thx in advance.

Isabella
You will have to search in all 15 pages in here ;):
viewtopic.php?t=3672
Post Posted Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 am
Isabella_R

Pat1982 wrote:
Isabella_R wrote:Apologies for my stupid question, if so:

Thx in advance.

Isabella
You will have to search in all 15 pages in here ;):
viewtopic.php?t=3672
Thx, but I know the content of these 15 pages as well :wink:

A few days ago I got a copy of the Australian DVD of CiC, but I don't know if that copy is a shrinked version of the official release because the file size is less than 4.7 GB (round about 4.4 GB).
Post Posted Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 am
PMgep

There haven't been an officiall DVD release of Concerts in China. There is one of Jarre in China, the 2004 concert in Beijing.

So if you have found the 1981 concert on DVD, then someone have only put the original VHS to disc
Heaven has a beer volcano
Post Posted Fri May 14, 2010 7:16 pm
Isabella_R

PMgep wrote:There haven't been an officiall DVD release of Concerts in China. There is one of Jarre in China, the 2004 concert in Beijing.

So if you have found the 1981 concert on DVD, then someone have only put the original VHS to disc
Sorry PMgep but I think you are not well informed. Pls have a look into all 15 pages here :
viewtopic.php?t=3672 :wink:
Post Posted Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 pm
jarrepaul

I have this guys. It's exaxtly the same as the VHS. Someone has just copied the video onto disk.
Post Posted Sat May 15, 2010 11:44 am
PMgep

Ah, it seem s that I was half wrong. They where to be released, but then was stopped, if I understand it corectly.

Isabella_R wrote:
PMgep wrote:There haven't been an officiall DVD release of Concerts in China. There is one of Jarre in China, the 2004 concert in Beijing.

Sorry PMgep but I think you are not well informed. Pls have a look into all 15 pages here :
Heaven has a beer volcano
Post Posted Sun May 16, 2010 2:09 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

PMgep wrote:Ah, it seem s that I was half wrong. They where to be released, but then was stopped, if I understand it corectly.

Isabella_R wrote:

And a few copies did actually appear for sale. Which was then denied by Drypuss. Or whatever?
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun May 16, 2010 5:41 pm
marcoblom

Yep, I got one on time.
Post Posted Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 pm
LaDefense

Yes, I also have this DVD... :peacemaan:
LaDefense -
"Vorsprung durch Technik"
Post Posted Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

I also have this version of The Concerts in China on dvd. :fine:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 pm
AnDrOiD

Well, I got the original VHS. Don't have a VCR, anymore, though. :pwned: :robertdugenou:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon May 17, 2010 12:42 am
Pat1982

jarrepaul wrote:I have this guys. It's exaxtly the same as the VHS. Someone has just copied the video onto disk.
No it's not. The Australian China DVD is not a transfer from the original mastertape, but from an Australian TV broadcast, and features one additional minute of footage on Magnetic Fields 1, not present in the 1991 VHS release from Polygram (and other minor differences).

It was an official pressing from Australia's largest independent recordcompany, Shock. However they didn't receive the final permission for release from the copyright holders (FDM/JMJ), and they were forced to remove this title from distribution:
"I confirm that only Disques Dreyfus /Jean Michel Jarre, co-producers of the concert, have the rights to DVD exploitation.
After investigation, it appears that some copies of the DVD were sold in Australia during a very limited period despite a ban but this violation has been denounced and the distribution stopped."

About the Houston DVD:
This was planned (and pressed) by FDM but JMJ did not give his permission:
"it is important to underline that Jean Michel Jarre was not consulted or informed of the release by Francis Dreyfus Music, this in itself is sufficient to oppose it.
Jean Michel Jarre takes too much pride in his work and care in his creation, to allow it, and you, to be exploited, without the necessary investment of offering the best standard possible. A mere DVD copy of the VHS format, where no Bonus nor Extras are proposed, would have led to a less than mediocre product sold at normal price. The DVD, as Francis Dreyfus Music planned to release it, would have done more harm than justice to what remains a milestone event. Due to the evident poor quality of the film, which has not been restored or upgraded to today's digital standards, is at all a level of a product that Jean Michel Jarre could be artistically satisfied with."

However possibly a very limited number of disks may have been shipped through Amazon.co.uk, as a fan posted pictures on a forum (a Dutch guy named Jerome if I remember, see earlier mentioned topic ;)).
However that must be a fake according to Francis Dreyfus Music:
"We had to hold this release for contractual reasons but do hope this issue will soon be solved. However that some fans have received the DVD before cancellation is impossible because not one single copy of the DVD was shipped out of our office in Paris to our foreign distributors, at the time the DVD release was put on hold. The stock is locked up. Amazon.co.uk confirmed to us in writing that they had not sold any DVD to any customer who had ordered it, for the simple reason that they had no stock. So either the fans are lying, or the DVD they have purchased is a pirate recording. As you can imagine, a pirate recording is a very serious copyright infringement and its quality is certainly very poor."
Post Posted Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 am
jarrepaul

Well it had been that long since i watched the VHS i could not tell the differance. :oops:

• 2020 Zoolook.nl