BlahBlahCafe Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  •   Album  •   Chat  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Synths on Rendez-Vous 3
thhedk 

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm   Synths on Rendez-Vous 3

Lets face it, Rendez-Vous 3 is en fact a very simple song, but some of the instruments used, makes me wonder

LaserHarp:
Elka Synthex - no doubt!

Choirs:
Fairligt - no doubt

BassDrum:
Fairlight ?

Bass:
It sounds like a Synthex sound also.

"Drum roll":
Well, as I wrote I made it with a noise with frequency controlled by LFO and a bright sound controlled by another LFO a bit slower.
Any synth can do this.

Then there are some very high pitched gliding sounds, up to 20kHz, some with modulation, some without.
Any synth can do this.
That's about every sounds in the song.

But in the sleave it also says: Seiko DS320 and RMI (RMI Harmonic synthesizer?)
What on earth are those used for??

Any ideas?

StudioR7 

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm   

I don't know if choirs on RDV3 come from a Fairlight... It sounds rather like a Synthex.

Do not forget that Synthex has a powerful chorus unit, so any "analog string" patch passed through this unit (highest setting) sounds like a string machine of old ^^
I guess it's the same with any "analog choir" patch : "analog choir" + synthex chorus = wonderful analog choir ensemble :D

It's fairly possible that almost all layers of RDV3 come from a Synthex. Jarre really "abused" of this excellent synth on "Rendez-Vous" :wink:
When released "Rendez-Vous" was a huge "Synthex showcase"... as was "Revolution, Revolutions" 3 years later with D-50 (that's another topic :wink: ).

Eminent 310U Standard owner
Kromalaser KL-450 "Basic" laser harp user

thhedk 

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am   

StudioR7 wrote:
I don't know if choirs on RDV3 come from a Fairlight... It sounds rather like a Synthex.

Do not forget that Synthex has a powerful chorus unit, so any "analog string" patch passed through this unit (highest setting) sounds like a string machine of old ^^
I guess it's the same with any "analog choir" patch : "analog choir" + synthex chorus = wonderful analog choir ensemble :D

It's fairly possible that almost all layers of RDV3 come from a Synthex. Jarre really "abused" of this excellent synth on "Rendez-Vous" :wink:
When released "Rendez-Vous" was a huge "Synthex showcase"... as was "Revolution, Revolutions" 3 years later with D-50 (that's another topic :wink: ).

I replicated the choir almost perfect with Fairlight samples in my cover version, so this I am not in doubt about.
The "drum roll" sound could come from RMI Harmonic synthesizer.
But the Seiko synth I don't get what is used for.

Cryptic Era 

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 pm   

Perhaps he just used the Seiko to 'beef up' the Synthex or even the choir sounds.
We all know how subtly layering detuned pads/strings under another instrument can add real depth to a sound. Ideal for minimalist tracks like RV3. :bravo:

Instruments : Roland (SH-101, D550, M-VS1, AX7), Korg (EX-8000, DS-8, M1R, MS2000, KR55 & 55B), Ensoniq Mirage, Novation Super Bass Station, Electrix Warp Factory, Univox SR95, Electro Harmonix Small Stone x2

JPQ 

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 am   

Cryptic Era wrote:
Perhaps he just used the Seiko to 'beef up' the Synthex or even the choir sounds.
We all know how subtly layering detuned pads/strings under another instrument can add real depth to a sound. Ideal for minimalist tracks like RV3. :bravo:

And we also must remember even Kurzweil K2000 often only for masterkeyboard i understanded when we talk Jarre things...

thhedk 

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:12 am   

JPQ wrote:

And we also must remember even Kurzweil K2000 often only for masterkeyboard i understanded when we talk Jarre things...

A 61 key normal synth as master keyboard, why?

Speaking of masterkeyboards, I swaped all my synths for Reason 6 and M-audio Oxygen 88 :smoke:
...so my future Jarre music videos may be a bit borring :?

thhedk 

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:15 am   

thhedk wrote:

Speaking of masterkeyboards, I swaped all my synths for Reason 6 and M-audio Oxygen 88 :smoke:
...so my future Jarre music videos may be a bit borring :?

Maybe I should go in Piano-mode instead of Jarre covers? :)
Aermelunden

Violator 

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:40 am   

thhedk wrote:
Maybe I should go in Piano-mode instead of Jarre covers?

Do you completed Second R-V cover at first?

thhedk 

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 am   

Violator wrote:
thhedk wrote:
Maybe I should go in Piano-mode instead of Jarre covers?

Do you completed Second R-V cover at first?

No :?

StudioR7 

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 pm   

thhedk wrote:
I replicated the choir almost perfect with Fairlight samples in my cover version, so this I am not in doubt about.
The "drum roll" sound could come from RMI Harmonic synthesizer.
But the Seiko synth I don't get what is used for.
Hmm ... It seems we were not taking about the same sound ^^'
I agree the choir sound at the beginning of RV3 comes from a Fairlight (without any doubt !). There's also another "choir" patch, during the bridge with orchestral cymblals and "noise splash", more analog... It's this one I thought you were talking about, and this one is typically "Synthex".

In fact, it's not Seiko DS-250 used on this track... but Seiko DS-320, the sequencer part of DS-250 ;) Anyway, I don't see either which part of the track is was used for...

(The booklet given with the CD mentions Fairlight and Seiko DS-320 for the track we're talking about... + Synthex and RMI)

Eminent 310U Standard owner
Kromalaser KL-450 "Basic" laser harp user

Reply to topic