Warning: include(/nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/cache/board_config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: include(): Failed opening './cache/board_config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.6.21/share/pear') in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 546

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 547
:: View topic - JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)
Warning ! cookie path is empty! Check in in the Admin Control Panel or set it in the PhpMyAdmin table: prefix_config - cookie_path row
 Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
JMJ in the new Trax magazine (july/august 2011)
Jon

Posted:     [ !!! ]

[quote="Robi"][quote="Big time"][quote="jeanbatman"]Tell U2 they shouldn't play "Where the streets have no name" anymore...

Or Paul Mc Cartney "Yesterday"...

This was OK 20 years ago... :)[/quote]

You cant compare U2 with Jarre, U2 is rock, and if they play "Where the streets have no name" on a big festival/or on their own tour, it will sound big, rocky and modern enough. Why? Well, cos its Rock! If Jarre plays out Oxygene 4 on a big festival, well... It will STILL sound like the track from 76 being performed in 2012... Did I really have to explain that for you? :D[/quote]

Why would cause shock if people would listen to track of 1976 in 2012?
Beside , anyway, it is more than true that he MUST do concerts with BRAND new tracks, but skipping a hit just because some people think "why a '76 music in 2012".....hmm.... :)

It is merely ridiculous to think for Jarre only in this issue. The majority of musical acts should then forget their initial, breakthrough hits.[/quote]

I agree with BigTime

Oxy4 is a classic track with a classic cult following. It does not fit into a festival. A festival does not cater for the "older" generation. Festivals are mainly packed out with younger blood whose most likely have never heard of JMJ, but would probably recognise something he has done from [i]other[/i] artists who have used his music in their own works. Then the younger gen would assume Jarre was copying those artists. Jarre has to use something more uplifting and kisch/modern that would appeal to festival-go'ers.

If JMJ was to take an approcah like Electronic Night, that could work better. Get todays artists performing and mixing alongside Jarre. Take for example the music fetivals here in the UK. The other weekend we had Glastonbury. One act on stage was 'Pendulum' who did a modern dance version of 'The Eve of the War' from The War of the Worlds album by Jeff Wayne. That was released in 1978 as a orchestral/synth album. Yet mixed up today and with a modern act, it sounds fresh again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6WcILBsPQ

This is just an example, but one I thnk Jarre really does need to follow. It worked in 1998, it can still work. Old style tracks are all very well live in concerts, but festivals work differantly depending on the artist. Acts like U2 and Pet Shop Boys sell themselves at festivals, but it because of the status they have built up. Jarre, although a leader in electronics, is still largely forgotten in todays music.

chronos

Posted:    how about this then for festivals then? [ !!! ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38S-xAPqARE

tinmachine

Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!!

chronos

[quote="tinmachine"]Perhaps comparing U2 at Glastonbury to JMJ is unfair, but perhaps an easier comparison based on the style of music is Pet Shop Boys, and they did Glastonbury in 2010. A DVD of this is available on the 2 disc version of Ultimate, as many of us know, and they played their hits - West End Girls, It's A Sin etc and the audience loved it. So if JMJ did a festival, yes he should play Oxygene 4, Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, the infectious upbeat pieces that most people who like JMJ love him for doing, and for some retro coolness, tracks from Zoolook too! Bring on Glastonbury 2012 with JMJ!!![/quote]

Just listening to the denmark AERO concert, am sure that style would work at Glasto. My neigbours are loving it at the moment!

shadow

Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...

chronos

[quote="shadow"]Screw the Aero versions, those suck quite honestly...[/quote]

nooooo, not the stuff at the gdansk/china/desert aero....

I find the denmark aero rather punchy and upbeat and very very different to the gigs mentioned above.

Stereomatic

Kraftwerk played a lot of festivals in the past. Most of the tracks they performed are from the 70s or 80s.
Ups, they even played Autobahn from 1974! Such an old track for the younger generation??
It worked fantasctic!
If Jarre plays Oxygene 4 or Equinoxe 5 at festivals I think it will work to a younger generation because that music is timeless. And that is the great thing about festivals that you can hear a lot of different artists with different styles. So why not Jarre? Perhaps there are a lot of younger people who will be grateful to know Jarre.

I hope he will NEVER do a DJ-Set in his life!

Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268506_1816093452452_1543577927_31525249_210416_n.jpg[/img]

shadow

We need to knock Jarre out and steal those recordings... Then atleast we can have good transfers, rather then awfull remastering :punch:

Dr_Jones

[quote="Kanta"][url=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268506_1816093452452_1543577927_31525249_210416_n.jpg]Image[/url][/quote]

Do you have them in readable format too?

Robi

[quote="Dr_Jones"][quote="Kanta"][url=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268506_1816093452452_1543577927_31525249_210416_n.jpg]Image[/url][/quote]

Do you have them in readable format too?[/quote]

second on this question

Starcat

[quote="Robi"][quote="Dr_Jones"][quote="Kanta"][url=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268506_1816093452452_1543577927_31525249_210416_n.jpg]Image[/url][/quote]

second on this question[/quote]

Third on this question.

Kanta

[quote="Starcat"][quote="Robi"][quote="Dr_Jones"][quote="Kanta"][url=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268506_1816093452452_1543577927_31525249_210416_n.jpg]Image[/url][/quote]

second on this question[/quote]

Third on this question.[/quote]
This is the only size I came across.

Robi

thanks for the effort. Though it's unreadable, means it's unfortunately nothing.

qube

If he's playing a festival with a younger audience that's possibly not familiar with his work then I think he can play any of the tracks he likes but would need specific remixes / versions catered for the event(s) otherwise he'd risk being labelled as cheesy.

A chap in his 60's with dyed hair leaping about bashing cymbals is going to struggle.

Doesn't mean he'll have to do dance remixes or anything like that, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk could do a very sober set and earn massive respect from a younger crowd.

Playing with a full orchestra please, bring back the drummer and bass-player too, and no Mag 2!

Robi

[quote="qube"]and no Mag 2![/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

was waste to mention it...

qube

:D seriously though, does anyone like that choone?

Kanta

[quote="Robi"]thanks for the effort. Though it's unreadable, means it's unfortunately nothing.[/quote]
Then, size does matter to some. I don't have the magazine. Just came across this size ...

Robi

[quote="qube"]:D seriously though, does anyone like that choone?[/quote]

Obviously not, if you say so, then not....

Jon

[quote="Robi"][quote="qube"]:D seriously though, does anyone like that choone?[/quote]

Obviously not, if you say so, then not....[/quote]

I like MF2. The current live version with the extended intro is funky :D

tinmachine

[quote="Jon"][quote="Robi"][quote="qube"]:D seriously though, does anyone like that choone?[/quote]

Obviously not, if you say so, then not....[/quote]

I like MF2. The current live version with the extended intro is funky :D[/quote]

Definitely, its great, especially with the bouncier bassline too. Would rather have MF1 dropped, or even more-so Oxygene 5-variations dropped. However a performance of the overlooked MF4 is long overdue....

Kanta

MF and Trax magazine, what is the connection? :robertdugenou:

qube

Mag 1 is awesome, especially the latter half of it, very clever, I have to skip 2 and 'the last rumba' though, just can't stand them, I know JM likes throwing in the odd cheesy track on his LP's but those are too much.

I'm thinking Orient Express, Computer Weekend & September rank amongst the biggest sinners in the cheese dept, but all pale against MF2, just sounds like an old computer game theme.

Kanta

[color=orange][b]Ontopic[/b][/color] please. :D

melo

Jarrefriends,

nobody got scans to put here ????

[ REPLY ]