Warning: include(/nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/cache/board_config.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './cache/board_config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.3.29/share/pear') in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php on line 250

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 546

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/common.php:250) in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/119400/domains/zoolook.nl/html/forum/includes/sessions.php on line 547
:: View topic - Unedited Waiting for Cousteau
Warning ! cookie path is empty! Check in in the Admin Control Panel or set it in the PhpMyAdmin table: prefix_config - cookie_path row
 Forum Index  
  •  FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •  Register  •   Log in  • 

Previous topic :: Next topic
Unedited Waiting for Cousteau
AERO62

Posted:    Unedited Waiting for Cousteau [ !!! ]

I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:

[quote]Jarre utilised the unedited version as an ambient audience "warm-up" in the hours prior to the Paris la Defense concert in 1990 (and also in many concerts after this "first"), played on the specially installed public address sound system scattered throughout Paris for this event.[/quote]

Hours? Does that mean there's a "raw" un-released version that runs for hours ? I'd love to hear it :)

So far I thought the longest one was at Concert D'images and lasted 60 minutes. This file [URL=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VFLMZ8KN]Download[/URL] was in the database and even though it's labeled "concertd'images", I'm not sure if it is indeed what it says it is. I checked the recording and apparently someone had just copied the last 15 minutes to extend it. (Notice how some of the fans just love doing stuff like that... making fake lossless or fake-versions.) So, unless it was indeed played that way at the exhibition, which I doubt, then we still haven't really heard the 60 minute version.

Meanwhile I came across another interesting recording. A 50 minute version which sounds a bit different from the original and ends kinda abruptly (Could it be a part of the unedited variation?). The file is named - "En Attendant Cousteau (Concert Pour La Tolerance)". Here's the link if you want to check it out - [URL=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I7GF67WY]50minute_tolerance[/URL]
So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.

So , can anyone shed some light on this and has anybody ever heard a version longer than 45-50 minutes?

melo

Posted:     [ !!! ]

During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?

GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Posted:    Re: Unedited Waiting for Cousteau [ !!! ]

[quote="AERO62"]So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.[/quote]

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...

AERO62

[quote="GeeJee"][quote="AERO62"]So I assume it was played before the Tolerance concert. The sound quality is strange though, It's like somebody put a a mic very close to one of the speakers yet there's absolutely no crowd or any other 'outdoor'noises. Wonder who recorded it.[/quote]

It's either another fake or it's mislabeled. Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...[/quote]

Wow that's interesting. Then it's probably mislabeled, doesn't sound like fake. I'll try listening more attentively to spot ehmm.. something. Now we have to figure out where it came from.

Phil J.

[quote="GeeJee"]Before the CPLT concert, Fiona came to the stage to ask some fans whether or not they had a WFC album with them, because they wanted to play the track, but forgot to bring the CD. I'm not kidding...[/quote]
That's absolutely true. I was there. Thankfully, someone did have a copy; don't know if they ever got it back though.

Dr_Jones

Yes, they got it back, signed by JMJ

Velodynamic

[quote="melo"]During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?[/quote]
This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1fFZoVSJow

( http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )

AnDrOiD

Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:

AERO62

[quote="AnDrOiD"]Just put the damn thing on repeat! :punch: :pwned:[/quote]

But where's the fun in that.. :wink:

I tried to compare the original to the 50 min version. They are different. I may be wrong but the latter one sounds like the same fragment is repeated throughout the track. There's no ending nor beginning. I think I can also hear one new sound effect a few times, or it could be just an illusion because the recording is so overmodulated. It might as well be a real concertd'images version or just another joke from some fan.

qube

It's fractal music so theoretically it should last forever without ever repeating.

Just need the algorithm to generate the MIDI data and leave it running.

chronos

thought that this was some friking joke!!

Waiting for Cousteau extended remix edition??

tinmachine

At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4!

Dr_Jones

[quote="tinmachine"]At Electronic Night in 1998, it was obviously the CD bring played before the concert as to begin with Calypso was accidentally played before jumping to the start of Calypso 2. Then someone must have told the CD player operator that WFC is track 4![/quote]

And that was the highlight of that whole concert :?

thhedk

[quote="AERO62"]I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:[/quote]

Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.
Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.

I think the song sound cool, but I am a bit dissapointed that he didn't found place for some more exiting bits in it.

I used it two days ago, for what it is perfect for - aqaurium video/photos :)
[URL=http://youtu.be/zTuEW41K-U4?hd=1]Denmarks Aquarium[/URL]

thhedk

[quote="thhedk"]
Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.[/quote]

[URL=http://thhe.dk/WaitingForCousteau_34min19sek.wav]at 34min 19 sec[/URL]

4 sec in this clip, something is cutted.

AERO62

[quote="thhedk"][quote="AERO62"]I absolutely love this track. What a divine melody... but It's only 45 minutes :(
So It occured to me -what if there's a longer one? Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:[/quote]

Wel, I could easyly make a version lasting 3 hours, by repeating and fading thing's together.
[/quote]

Well anyone could do that. But what if in there's new non-repeating parts in the unedited version...

[quote="thhedk"][quote="thhedk"]
Actually there is a cut someplace in the song.[/quote]

[URL=http://thhe.dk/WaitingForCousteau_34min19sek.wav]at 34min 19 sec[/URL]

4 sec in this clip, something is cutted.[/quote]

Great find! I just checked the mysterious/fake concertd'images version to see if there's a similar cut and guess what- there's actually a different tune playing at that time :shock: . So maybe it is real after all. But then why would Jarre so sloppily extend it by reattaching the last fragment ? I'm confused..

One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?

Pat Gleeson

[quote="AERO62"]One more thing, on my CD, WFC lasts 46:55 minutes, so it's basically 47, not 45 minutes. I wonder is it the same on every CD release ?[/quote]

Yes it is - the exact timing is 46'53", but timings vary from that to 46'57" with the difference being silence at the end.
In relation to the other versions, I was at the Concert D' Images exhibition and I remember the music being pretty much the same as the official release, but it's such a long time ago now it's impossible to compare. I took me a few listens to the CD release to actually remember where I heard the music before. :)
I do seem to remember that WFC was a perfect accompaniment to an exhibition.
Unfortunately the staff were of little help and steadfastly ignored all efforts by people asking about the music, and even resorting to confiscating cameras to stop photography ...

DJoA

[quote="Velodynamic"][quote="melo"]During the Concert of Monaco, this year, I listen another version, maybe 30 ou 45 min. With diferent mix with another Jarre's tracks.

Did someone record this ?[/quote]
This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1fFZoVSJow

( http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m6a8sx2bmw9m0ch )[/quote]

i was also wondering what this track was.... you know something more velodynamic? :roll: :roll:

tinmachine

Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.

I have the cassette album, but I'm not that technical minded to create an mp3 of it (the same goes for my cassette of Equinoxe with the non-CD mix of Part 5, but that's another topic!).

I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?

AnDrOiD

[quote="tinmachine"]I've also noticed that with my CD of WFC (from 1990) there is an annoying jump click at around 28-29 minutes. Is that just my CD?[/quote]

No such thing on mine.

tinmachine

Ok, have to check EBay now for a new CD of WFC!!!

AERO62

[quote="tinmachine"]Does anyone have the 22 minute non CD album version as an mp3, out of interest? It is not just the first 22 minutes of the 46 minute version, it is a different mix.
[/quote]

Aw.. I've never heard that mix.

Can somebody else who owns the cassette or vinyl digitize it (in lossless preferrably :mrgreen: ) ?

AERO62

Here's another difference I just spotted. In concertdimages there's one effect missing. I don't know how to explain it properly but on CD you can hear this sort of like constant 'crystals' effect in the background, while there's none on the other 2 versions.

So every mix is different. But which one is really unedited ? Probably none of them, because not one hits 1 hour mark, and if we trust wikipedia then there should be hours-long track. Maybe it's in the studio somewhere.. Wish I could ask JMJ directly.. Does he even read these forums :lol: ?

Dr_Jones

AFAIK, the vinyl version of Waiting for Cousteau is identical to the CD version (only half as short of course).

melo

Thank's Velodynamic for WFC mix by Monaco. :bravo:

[ REPLY ]