Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Remastered Albums 2014 and 2015

Post Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm
Black Bird

RemarkableRadio wrote:I never bought the remastered albums in 1997. I have the original ones and those are fine for me. I will stick with that for now.
If new tracks emerge, I will reconsider. But buying everything because of a different cover or 10 seconds extra music.... not for me.
Thanks though!
The same for me. I have the original venyl records. and the same on CD :D
I will only buy new material.
Post Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:17 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Velodynamic wrote:What happens when the label starts massproducing CD's?
Will waveforms stay the same through the whole process to the finished product?
From the moment the final mix has been deliverd for massproduction the waveform shouldn't change. Maybe a few bits get lost in the process that's always something that can happen, but it shouldn't change anything audible to the human ear anyway. It's not like Vinyl where it's depended on so many different factors, on a CD the final mix is what ends up on CD, just in lower quality ofcourse.

Edit: I'll see if I'll consider a re-buy, seeing how in most cases I have the 1997 remastered editions because those were the ones being sold when I bought them (I'm still young so excuse me :p). I know for a fact that I'll be replacing Equinoxe because that one... Oh dear lord :')
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:46 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Ok, Amazon.de update with some covers of the new remasters - serie 2014

Sony change cover of "Cities in Concert" and "Destination: Docklands". And China(82) is a double pack again...and I saw something different on Equinoxe font...

Oxygene

Equinoxe

Magnetic Fields

Concert in China :

Cities in Concert Houston/Lyon

Destination Docklands

Source:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_st_date-d ... =date-desc
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm
shadow

Oh my... That cover of Cities in Concert is gorgeous!
Post Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

shadow wrote:Oh my... That cover of Cities in Concert is gorgeous!
Yes, I agree. That alone is tempting me to buy...!
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:31 am
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

shadow wrote:Oh my... That cover of Cities in Concert is gorgeous!
Great indeed!
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:22 am
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Hopefully the back of Cities in Concert shows Lyon for good measure ;-)

The Docklands cover is a nice update, albeit a bit too much "in your face" maybe.

The weight of the typeface on Oxygène is too heavy. The original is a bit thinner and looks nicer. Take a close look at letter "R" for example.

Hopefully the picture for Équinoxe is not the actual cover, because it's seriously messed up... The audience characters are not centered as they are on the original, there is some overlap on the right and letters "NOXE" are bigger than the others...

Let's hope more care is given to the sound than was given to the covers. Why does Sony think we need remasters again anyway? ;-)

Cheers,

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:20 pm
Jon

What a wasted shame they are sticking with remasters instead of adding some extra material for fans. Here again are reasons to not buy in my book. If JMJ has moved over to Sony, I was expecting something bigger than remastered yet the same old re-issues. If they had have put some extra content in, then that would have been a good foundation for future releases.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 pm
shadow

Gotta agree with that, personally I'd love to have seen the original Equinoxe version on the new release. I quite enjoy the more funky version of Part 5! :nod:
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:34 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Totally agree with Jon, Shadow and Black Bird... There's really no point in those remasters for the fans (except maybe for the completists) as they already have the albums. Trying to sell them the reissues again is disrespectful ;-)

What Sony could have done is some kind of retrospective of the studio albums (no need for the "live" albums apart from The Concerts in China). I doubt there are many outtakes, but they could have included a rough mix of the albums for example that shows the work in progress. Also maybe an accompanying booklet that gives some insight and analysis on the albums, placing them in their historic, technical, trend and commercial contexts, etc. A bit like what is done for releases of classical music, where they often have interesting liner notes. Jarre's chronology (no pun intended) is a history of electronic instruments, so there would be plenty to write about.

Since JMJ has been interested in 5.1 they could have made 5.1 mixes of the old albums. I'm not a big fan of such treatment, but at least that would be something a bit different from a remaster that's merely going to be the same as the original, only compressed and with the volume cranked up to 11.

Or they could have made comprehensive compilations of all the remixes and alternate versions that have been released throughout the years and are hard to find on 7", 12", maxi-CD, etc., again with some background info on those. Granted, this stuff is for fans only, but hey.

But all this is more work and research than remasters...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about it, everybody's trying to make a buck, right? it's just seems to be a missed opportunity. Oh well...

Cheers,

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:33 pm
Jon

Blimey, that EQUINOXE cover font does stand out like a sore thumb. Hopefully that will be picked upon and rectified... hopefully.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

Danielle Fueillerat stated that Universal were the front runners to acquire the JMJ FDM back catalogue, but had to pull out as they (Universal) bought EMI/Virgin.
Universal do pretty good re-issues as regards content, but screw up occaisonally with sound glitches. What might have been ...
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:18 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

I don't like the changes of covers for one bit. If no changes is done to the track lists they darn well doesn't deserve other album covers then the original ones.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:55 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

While the one for Cities in Concert actually looks nice, it's actually very easy to make at home (find the correct photo, type the text and add a slight glow effect on it). Dunno what they're after with the one for Docklands and the one for Equinoxe is just horrible.

So these shabby covers + the same guy responsible for Essentials & Rarities in charge of the new remasters = uh oh

But I'm still hoping for them to pleasantly surprise me. Of course, it hasn't really happened in the past 11 years (still no PLD DVD) but, well, one can hope.
Post Posted Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm
shadow

Finaero wrote:So these shabby covers + the same guy responsible for Essentials & Rarities in charge of the new remasters = uh oh
This is what worries me the most, I am looking into replacing my Equinoxe and Magentic Fields discs because of the horrendous remastering those went through in '97. But if E&R is anything to go by...
Finaero wrote:But I'm still hoping for them to pleasantly surprise me. Of course, it hasn't really happened in the past 11 years (still no PLD DVD) but, well, one can hope.
All concerts with exception of China are worthless for DVD. They're all recorded on VHS in either PAL or NTSC. The resolution has been set, and while many VHS artifacts can be dealt with it's still VHS in the end. They were recorded on analoge video and it'll really never look anything better than it did when it was first aired. All these concerts were handled shortsighted. VHS was probably the easier format no doubt. Tape full? Just eject and insert a new one, problem solved. But it's by far the worst format they could have gone with for later releases.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl