Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Which masters will be used for the Oxygene Trilogy discs...?

Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:11 pm
feline1973

Likes given: 1

I guess we won't know until it's released! But I'm intrigued to find out...

- Will the Oxygene Parts 1 to 6 be the latest Sony remaster of the Dreyfus original? Or will they be using the "New Master Recording" version?

- Will the Oxgyene Parts 7 to 13 (which is now deleted as an separate album) be just the original master from 1997 or a new remaster?

I can't see any information about this anywhere yet in the press releases.

My main reason to ask is, if Oxygene 7–13 is a new remaster, it might make it worth my while buying the "Trilogy" set...
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Original recordings with new remasters apparently. So we'll have to wait and see how they'll sound in a few weeks.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:44 pm
feline1973

Interesting!

I've never had any particular problem with my CD of Oxygene 7–13 (I presume it was digitally recorded and mixed to begin with), so one wonders what a mastering engineer would do with it in 2016 that they couldn't achieve in 1997?

Although obviously one of the main text-book tasks for whoever is mastering the Oxygene Trilogy will be to make all three albums sound "the same" (i.e. have comparable "sound" in terms of frequency balance and dynamics) ... which considering one of them is an 8-track analogue recording from 1976, may not be entirely be a desirable thing!
It would be like a trying to make an oil painting look the same as a computer-generated image, or an old black and white print look "the same" and modern hi-res digital video.

The saving grace, I suppose, it that many of the same original instruments have been used... so I guess the mastering engineer could look at their task in terms of liberating those instruments from the limitations of the recording media used to capture them... or something 8)
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:20 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

According to Elf, who has just interviewed JMJ these will be brand new remasters. JMJ said he agreed with the fan criticism of the 2014-5 remasters "which were awful, and the responsibility of the record company". Apparently these will be much better.
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:25 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I'm a bit sceptical about that, but I'll see it when I have them in my hands.
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:33 pm
Pat Gleeson

Elf wrote: Oh, by the way. All Oxygene albums have been remastered again for the new package, "with an analogue approach (no loudness war!) " and Jarre said he completely agreed with all the fans who have been complaining about the latest remasters. Jarre said they are awful, and that they were done by the record company and was out of his hands.
Concerts attended:
Paris la Defense 1990
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:40 pm
feline1973

Yeah, but you will find that every time any of Jarre's back-catalogue has been remastered, he has *always* spoken about it in glowing terms in the press!
I mean he's never said "we've decided to do some really mediocre remasters for this batch, to give the albums an air of crass cheapness that they always lacked", has he? :lol:
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:46 pm
feline1973

However, as I was saying on another thread, the AES (http://www.aes.org ) introduced a new technical standard that is now widely adopted by TV channels and streaming sites, which is designed to stop all this loudness war stuff.
Sound on Sound magazine has a good review of it: http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/end-loudness-war

Basically, on most of the channels and sites that music is distributed these days, having a "loud" master no longer works, as it automatically gets turned down and thus sounds worse. So hopefully the Oxygene Trilogy is mastered to conform with the new standard and will sound a lot better for it! Fingers crossed...
Post Posted Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:51 am
Pat Gleeson

feline1973 wrote:Yeah, but you will find that every time any of Jarre's back-catalogue has been remastered, he has *always* spoken about it in glowing terms in the press!
At least this time he's publicly agreed with the fans that the last remasters were dire - but laying the blame with the record company. I assume he's referring specifically to Sony setting the loudness of the masters because JMJ name checked David Perreau somewhere for his "great ear" - and fans who received individual track stems for remixes noticed how much quieter they were.
Concerts attended:
Paris la Defense 1990
Post Posted Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:28 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

JMJ also agreed with his fans that the album T&T was a real mistake, so yeah...
Although Sony has released stuffs out off Jean-Michel's control hopefully he and his coworkers really are taking fans criticism seriously
and really are trying to redo things the "right" way this time.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:55 am
feline1973

I'm not really sure that re-re-re-releasing Oxygene 1 again is the "right" thing :nod: but to be fair, if Oxygene 7 - 13 is out of print, it is worth releasing that in this new Trilogy bundle - and £20 quid for the 3 albums is not too bad.
Post Posted Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:35 pm
shadow

If Oxygene 7-13 went out of print it's probably for this release and re-branding it as Oxygene 2.
Post Posted Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:06 pm
feline1973

Actually, I think most of Jarre's late 90s/ noughties back catalogue is out of print.
Basically everything between Chronology and Teo&Tea is languishing at the moment, and often going for silly money. I had to fork out about £20 to get copies of Sessions 2000 and Metamophoses this year (I was plugging some gaps in my collection before attending the tour!)
Post Posted Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am
shadow

I'd say everything between Metamorphoses and Téo & Téa is rather difficult to get. But Sessions 2000 was a project just to get rid of his contract so I can get why that one is OOP and Geometry of Love was originally never meant as a usual album, so I get that one also. Only Aero is a bit weird because I remember it being a rather big project (or at least hyped up to be). I wonder if w'll ever get the Sessions 2000 counterpart. I know it went unreleased because Dreyfus didn't like it but it seems like it could be interesting after all these years.
Post Posted Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:49 pm
Flip Martian

Likes given: 5
Likes received  : 8

Must admit I am usually sceptical of "new remasters" these days. I still have the original album on vinyl and CD, and 7-13 on its original CD so will make do with those I think. Am enjoying the new album though!

• 2020 Zoolook.nl