Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Written on the back cover of "La Cage/Erosmachine"

Post Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 pm
Franci98my

Hello friends, I need your help, especially the collectors.

I'm writing an article about "La Cage/Erosmachine" and I want to put that writing of Xam Samuel (I don't know who he is) that appears in the back cover of the disc. The problem I have is the following: I found the writing on internet but it is in French and it's very difficult for me to try to translate it coherently. Besides, I'm Hispanic, which means more difficulty in understanding French. Could someone help me with an English translation?

It would also serve me well to know who is Xam Samuel and what his relationship with Jarre was.

Thank you.

Orgue, guitare basse, batterie au grand complet. Beaucoup de baguettes. Tout un matériel de percussion allant du bongo à la crécelle en passant par le flexatone et la cuiller de bois Une musique enfin. Mixée, moulue, modulée par synthesizer, générateurs, filtres eux-mêmes manipulés et surveillés grâce à une cinquantaine de potentiomètres et cadrans. Le magicien troglodyte tout frais émoulu du Groupe de Recherches Musicales de l'ORTF est là, régnant dans sa sombre caverne en plein centre de Paris. Il touche à tout, voit tout. Le son jaillit des enceintes puissantes. Voilà quinze jours qu'il l'attendait. Moi aussi. Je repars discrètement sur la pointe des pieds comme j'étais venu. Dix jours plus tard, chez moi, sur le pick-up, une rondelle de plastique gravé de dix-sept centimètres. Je cherche un qualificatif: pop-électronique.

Xam Samuel - 1971
Equinoxe 9-16
Post Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:32 am
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Hi Franci98my,

Wow, I didn't even know there was text on the back of the single. So thanks for mentioning that!

I don't know about the writer, but here is a translation, set like on the cover. Several sentences are statements without verbs. I kept very close to the original wording.

Organ, bass guitar, drums in full. Many sticks. A whole percussion set from bongo drum to rattle via flexatone and wooden spoon.
A piece of music at last.
Mixed, ground, modulated by synthesizer, generators, filters, themselves manipulated and controlled thanks to about fifty potentiometers and dials.
The magician-troglodyte all fresh out of the Groupe de Recherches Musicales of ORTF is here, ruling in his dark cave right in the middle of Paris.
He's eclectic, sees everything. The sound bursts out of the powerful speakers.
For a fortnight he's been waiting for it. Me too.
I leave discreetely on tiptoe, just like I came.
Ten days later, at home, on the record player, a seventeen centimeter slice of etched plastic.
I'm looking for a qualifier: electronic pop.

I'd be interested in reading your article once you're done. Others on the forum might be too. Thanks!

Cheers,

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 am
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Just a thought... Maybe "Xam Samuel" is a pseudonym for Samuel Hobo, with whom Jarre did 2 singles in 1972...
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense

• 2020 Zoolook.nl