Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pet shop boys

Post Posted Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 pm
Big time

You damn right I was!!! :D :D :D

A great great evening to remember!!!! :D :D

And to do a concert in this amazing place!!! :D :D
King of smileys :D
Post Posted Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

New album "Yes" will be released at the end of next month. The first single, Love etc. is on youtube, great video and great song!
Post Posted Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

Thanks Doc! Gonna check that out right away :D

/edit: hmm... this has yet to convince me...
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 pm
tinmachine

I saw the Pet Shop Boys at the Savoy Theatre in London in 1997 (the same week as the first Oxygene Tour at Wembley - what a week!) for their "Performance" concert, I think! Very good indeed, played most of their early hits, with a Left To My Own Devices encore.

Just returning to the Jarrelevance - I missed out on last year's Oxygene Tour, which is a shame as it would have been comparable for its intimacy.

I personally love their early stuff - in particular It's A Sin (take away the vocals and you have something which sounds like a JMJ hit!), Left To My Own Devices, Being Boring, This Must Be The Place I've Waited Years To Leave, In The Night (the Disco album version - 1980's BBC Clothes Show theme) and also the instrumental from the limited edition "Relentless" album called "KDX 125", which is so Jarre sounding at times, it's amazing!

Actually, Introspective and Behaviour are essential albums to have, in my opinion :-)

And their remixes of David Bowie's Hallo Spaceboy are fantastic too.

However, their Brits performance last week was a little disappointing, they looked a little worse for wear and the medley idea was cheesy. U2 (who I also like) were also disappointing...

Let's hope JMJ does better in May :-)
Post Posted Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 pm
Dr_Jones

tinmachine wrote: However, their Brits performance last week was a little disappointing, they looked a little worse for wear and the medley idea was cheesy.
The only way to celebrate a lifetime achievement award is to play as many songs as possible, imho. The medly worked very well, with Paninaro combined with Go West, Opportunities mended trough some songs, etc. Plus, the pink wig.

True, their later albums lost their charm, Bilingual and Nightlife could have been better, but Fundamental and Potemkin are masterpieces. I like Disco 4 (which is basically a best of of remixes) a lot. Finally got to hear the extended mix of Bowie's Hello Spaceboy. What a great song that is.
Post Posted Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:11 pm
Christophe

Dr_Jones wrote:
tinmachine wrote: However, their Brits performance last week was a little disappointing, they looked a little worse for wear and the medley idea was cheesy.
The only way to celebrate a lifetime achievement award is to play as many songs as possible, imho. The medly worked very well, with Paninaro combined with Go West, Opportunities mended trough some songs, etc. Plus, the pink wig.

True, their later albums lost their charm, Bilingual and Nightlife could have been better, but Fundamental and Potemkin are masterpieces. I like Disco 4 (which is basically a best of of remixes) a lot. Finally got to hear the extended mix of Bowie's Hello Spaceboy. What a great song that is.
Indeed, their performance at the "Brits" was a big succes! :wink:

Greetzzz...
Post Posted Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Why do I think that they're starting to sound more and more like bloody B.W.O fcol? :roll: :punch:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:08 pm
tinmachine

Bought the Mail On Sunday (UK) today with the free PSB CD included celebrating 25 years of their music. Really one of the better CD's since they've done these promotions (along with JMJ's Oxygene and Bowie's excellent "iSelect"). Had many of the tracks before, but it is still a great freebie.

Love the It's A Sin 12" mix. Jarre like song, but even more so in extended format - an Equinoxe 4 like sequence, Rendez-Vous 4 style mini-fanfare trumpets, an Equinoxe 4/Magnetic Fields 1 style choir break, and the odd Magnetic Fields 2 (live) style piano whizzes. Oh, and like someone in Houston would say, it's a great great tune!

Best songs on the CD - West End Girls (10" mix), It's A Sin, Jealousy, Being Boring and Flamboyant, although the new preview song "Did You See Me Coming" is great too...

I'm looking forward to March 23 (not the JMJ track, the date of the new PSB album), which is when I will have to decide on buying that or Quantum Of Solace... hmmmmm.... :-/
Post Posted Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:23 pm
Jon

Crap, didn't know about it or I would have gone out and got a copy of the newspaper :|
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am
Dr_Jones

no problem, next month, it'll be 1 cent on ebay.
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:41 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Yeah - there will be plenty of those on eBay soon - and I might just gonna fetch myself one of those too... :D
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm
Equinoxe

I used to like PSB,the last Album I bought was "Very",Now they simply sound like the Village People with Synthesizers,The stuff they've churned out since the Mid 90s has been more like Camp disco music very cheesy pop crap.
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:08 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Equinoxe wrote:I used to like PSB,the last Album I bought was "Very",Now they simply sound like the Village People with Synthesizers,The stuff they've churned out since the Mid 90s has been more like Camp disco music very cheesy pop crap.
Agreed, but I thought Fundamental was great..
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 pm
Dr_Jones

Equinoxe wrote:I used to like PSB,the last Album I bought was "Very",Now they simply sound like the Village People with Synthesizers,The stuff they've churned out since the Mid 90s has been more like Camp disco music very cheesy pop crap.
Funny you mention Very. It has the Village People cover Go West.

But Fundamental? Disco 3? Disco 4 for that matter?
Post Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm
AnDrOiD

Yeah, PSB is one of them acts that haven't been able to keep me interested. 'Nightlife' is my last album, though.
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl