Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Magnetic Fields - a controversial album

Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:55 am
Robi

Hi All,

i have heard sometimes that this album released among many critics. And that MF was a controversial album at that time.

Have somebody also heard this? Or this is not true at all?

Thanks
Robi
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:04 pm
Christophe

I don't know! :wink:

Greetzzz...
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 pm
Big time

I don´t think there´s anything to it! :D

But I could be wrong..... :wink:

But controversial? In what way could it be? :D

Anyone?
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:48 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Controversial?

There are those people who think his only major albums are Oxygene and Equinoxe, but some of them include Magnetic Fields to that list and some say MF wasn't remarkable anymore.

Oh well.
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 pm
LLGARCIA

I don't know exactly what you mean with "controversial", but as far as I know there was some criticism, yes, that started around the last track of the album.
It is really a shame that Jarre decided to leave it that way... But well, the other tracks are quite good.

Regards
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:09 pm
Robi

LLGARCIA wrote:I don't know exactly what you mean with "controversial", but as far as I know there was some criticism, yes, that started around the last track of the album.
It is really a shame that Jarre decided to leave it that way... But well, the other tracks are quite good.

Regards
Yes? The last track? Hum... :o

Why shame? Its the best as it is!
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:23 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Oxygene and Equinoxe are said to be his most famous albums they are similar in style and then Magnetic Fields is released. Didn't listeners think the same about Zoolook whenit came out? metamorphoses was also new. I still consider Magnetic Fields to be attached a little more to Oxygene and Equinoxe than Zoolook, Rendez-Vous etc.
JMJ has often changed the style, I think that's just how it is when a new release is different from the earlier stuff that the new album won't be considered just as good as the buyers probably expected something else.

I don't think MF is weaker or what you might call it, but I didn't learn about JMJ's music in a chronological order.
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:03 pm
Ronja
English Moderator

Controversial? I've read it for the first time...

Many fans find this album one of the "Trinity" (next to 'Oxygene" and "Equinoxe"). I personally think "MF" is great. It may suprise some people that Jarre went another way that on two former albums, but that's just he...exploring new things all the time. "Magnetic Fields" is different, but still on a very high level.

And if talking about the "Last Rumba"...I've always thought about it as about "intendet kitsch". In my opinion it's exactly how JMJ wanted to finish the album, not a "mistake", as some of you suggest.

And well...you can pretend the track doesn't exist by programming the playlist without it on a CD player, can't you? :P That's what I sometimes do with "Tout est Bleu" ;)
> BlahBlahCafe TEAM :D

www.jeanmicheljarre.pl team
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:10 pm
Finaero

Hmm, besides MF1 I really prefer live versions of the other tracks.

... so that makes me prefering CiC versions and La Defense MF2.
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:23 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Finaero wrote:Hmm, besides MF1 I really prefer live versions of the other tracks.

... so that makes me prefering CiC versions and La Defense MF2.
Yes especially MF3 with the ambient solo but also MF4 lead is not so simple as the original.
For MF2 I prefer the new versions since La Defense and Images.
MF1 from Moscow was also cool.
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:29 pm
Finaero

AH, MF1... I like CiC and CPLT live versions the most (even though Moscow had perhaps the coolest visuals) but hearing the whole track live should happen someday ;)
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:34 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

Controversial? Maybe because it wasn't in the same style as Oxygene and Equinoxe, but that wouldn't make sense anyway. And I guess MF5 is a severe joke... :P
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:26 pm
jarrekid

It could be controversial because it was quite different from Oxy and Equinoxe. It's still a great album.
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:44 pm
Livgivare

Hehe...look at my avatar, that is was crossed my mind during reading this topic. Controversial? Hey Jarres music is always controversial if you ask me. He is not that mainstream after all!

Love Leelene
Cool sites look for Livgivare
www.ukcentral.co.uk
www.bookcrossing.com

I am mostly afk due to the fact that I have many exams and alot to read and study to get grades right now!
Post Posted Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:01 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

jarrekid wrote:It could be controversial because it was quite different from Oxy and Equinoxe. It's still a great album.
If you expect an artist to do what has been done, you ask him to not move on with his artistic ideas, which is in fact, to me, killing your artistic nature. Unless you like to do the same over and over again, which I don't. I'm sure I wouldn't like JMJ's music if it was 15 Oxygene/Equinoxe-styled albums...

• 2020 Zoolook.nl