Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Magnetic Fields - a controversial album

Post Posted Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:40 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

plate of chips wrote:Rossini's Barber of Seville is the inspiration MF1 part 3 main melody

from 2min09
I agree with Jote here: far-fetched.
Post Posted Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:25 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

plate of chips wrote:Listen again.
Yeah, it's not my first encounter with Barber of Seville, so I really don't need to. Nevertheless, I changed my mind - I now consider it even more far-fetched.
Post Posted Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

You both made me smile.

If you can't hear it , you can't hear it, that's fine too.
It is clearer than Bolero & Oxygene 5 solo.
You should be listening to the Rhythm of the melody & the cadence of notes :
2min09 Barber of Seville & MF1 part3 melody.

It's over 30years. Let's move on.

I prefer JmJs melody.
It's quite emotive, then 12min45 almost as screaming in agony thereafter tender solo.
Bass & accompaniment down two octaves makes it Deep.
Removing cheesy pads 12min30 & cheesy pads througout & cheesy lead sound 12min45 replacing with distorted Rhodes adds deepness.
Latin percussion. JmJ could have made it even more Latin.
Make these changes becomes House.

MF1 part 1 take out the pads, take down Bass two octaves, add heavy drums JmJ would done what Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy did : Big Beat.

Avant Garde part 2 MF1 quite something.
Some Electronic Musicians would made a whole album out of it.

MF2 keep pecussion & bass same speed, take Bass down two octaves,
slow down everything else becomes Drum N Bass. Also replacing cheesy lead melody sound with something gritty.

MF3 mystical .... a whole album of similar vibes would have been out of this world.
JmJ hides the emotive, mystical aspect of his music well : JmJ never overtly makes these , they are subtle.

MF4 melody seems to be saying I will see you soon even though you are no longer here.
Accompaniment & Bass should be octave lower : it's cheesy being so high.

Post Posted Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:39 am
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

JmJ was so full of ideas its like JmJ just wants to moves on,
whilst some other Electronic Musicians can make a whole album from just a few of JmJs ideas.

There's five albums worth of material in MF if we make the changes I outlined above :
90s Big Beat (MF1 part 1), Avant Garde (MF1 part2), House (MF1 part3), Drum n Bass (MF2), Mystical (MF3).
Thus in one album JmJ would have invented three EM Genres :
90s Big Beat, Drum N Bass, House.

However , two years after Equinoxe, to just come up with a basic sequence and pads to open an album is poor.
Really poor.
Real lack of ideas.
Should skipped Part 1 MF1 altogether.
Begin with Part 2 MF1 Avant Garde making it thirty minutes :
much respect from classical circles, avant garde circles, if JmJ had done this.
Making MF1 part 3 a separate track : replacing last rhumba.
Keeping MF3 as it is.
Making MF2, MF4 less cheesy by simply lowering octaves as well as selecting grittier sounds.
Post Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jean-Michel Jarre talks Magnetic Fields, 1982

Video:

Published on 10 June 2016

Hear the full interview at http://malreding.com/interview/jean-michelle-jarre/
Jean Michel Jarre is a French composer, performer, and music producer. He is a pioneer in the electronic, ambient, and new age genres, and known as an organiser of outdoor spectacles of his music featuring lights, laser displays, and fireworks.

Jarre’s first mainstream success was the release of Oxygene, recorded in a makeshift studio in his home. In 1986 It went on to sell in excess of 12 million copies. He has gone on to record 18 studio albums and 8 live recordings.

This interview dates from 1982 and the release of his third album, Magnetic Fields.

In this interview extract Jarre talks about the recording and how it was a development of the first two albums, Oxygene and Equinox and also performing live in China and his aspirations to play live in London and the United States.

In fact Jarre did play in China and concerts were subsequently recorded and released as Concerts for China in 1982.
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:05 pm
Dr_Jones

"This video has been removed by the user."

I missed it, it seems.

But the mp3 is still downloadable!
Post Posted Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm
Jarreshair

I've often wondered if Jarre decided to keep some of the material for the China concerts?
IMO the new material for China is far stronger than on MF (and the live versions of MF2 and MF4 are better than the originals).
Post Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00 am
Dr_Jones

Michel Geiss got a ticket from an SNCF security man back in 1981 for recording trains. Probably used on Magnetic Fields.

From Michel's own words:
Je dois 10 Euros à la SNCF !

J'étais à 50 mètres au-dessus de la route. Dèrrière moi, le vide. Devant moi, des trains qui passaient à 50 cm. Mon matériel d'enregistrement : PCM-F1 (convertisseur), SL-F1 (magnétoscope Betamax).
A chaque passage, vibrations intenses des poutrelles en métal, avec quelques frayeurs ! Dur métier !
L'aventure s'est terminée par l'arrivée d'un agent de sécurité de la SNCF qui osait prétendre que j'étais en danger à cet endroit interdit ! Investi dans sa mission de protection du public, il m'a conduit à la Gare et m'a infligé cette amende. Je ne l'ai toujours pas réglée. Les 10 jours indiqués comme date limite étant légèrement dépassés, je crains maintenant les poursuites judiciaires mentionnées ;-) Je vais peut-être demander à l'intéressé s'il pourrait participer
Post Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:07 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I remember seeing that about a year ago or so. Absolutely amazing that they kept the ticket! :nod:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Kanta wrote: Hear the full interview at http://malreding.com/interview/jean-michelle-jarre/
LOOL. I can't remember I've ever heard that before. My gosh his english!!
He can hardly explain what he mean. :lol:

If you read a little between lines though it could almost be JMJ today. His main ideas about music in general hasn't changed that much after all.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 pm
Jote

This is probably more of a Concerts in China question... but still Magnetic Fields related.

Any ideas why that 0:21 track on Concerts in China (after "Orient Express") is called "Magnetic Fields 1"? It has absolutely nothing to do with that particular piece.
Post Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:27 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

Jote wrote: Any ideas why that 0:21 track on Concerts in China (after "Orient Express") is called "Magnetic Fields 1"? It has absolutely nothing to do with that particular piece.
It's an error that was not corrected from the very first vinyl pressings. In the picture sleeve inlays for the second CiC LP (Side 3), Magnetic Fields I is credited and on the bottom it says "The running order stated is incorrect, please refer to labels". The labels are incorrect as well :-)
When the first CD pressings were being made, the track order was copied, and instead of removing any reference to 'Magnetic Fields I', the table tennis ball effect was given the name ...

-- Click on 'more images' top left --

CiC UK Vinyl
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

CiC Ireland Vinyl labels

-- Click on 'more images' top left --
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 pm
Jote

Wow, thanks. This was bothering the hell out of me. I even asked JMJ about this once, but honestly I couldn't remember what he said :) He actually might have said that it was a mistake.
Post Posted Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

The worst part of that "ping pong ball sound = Magnetic Fields 1" issue is that it has led to all those bootlegs dividing PLD's tracklisting to monstrosities like "--- Magnetic Fields 1, Souvenir of China, Diva, Sylvain Durand sneezing, Magnetic Fields 2 ---". Now that's anal. ;)

Speaking of Magnetic Fields, I was tipped off to the similarities of MF1(.1) and some Chopin track from the past. Cool stuff.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl