Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 14-20

Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:57 am
SebAudio

Hasn't this album been released by JMJ but by an unknown artist, it would not have been so appreciated. Frankly the internet is full of far better music.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:02 am
Christophe

SebAudio wrote:Hasn't this album been released by JMJ but by an unknown artist, it would not have been so appreciated. Frankly the internet is full of far better music.
I respect your opinion. Ofcourse the internet is full of far better music. But I don't care. Never had the connection (emotional, ...) with other music that I still have with the music of Jarre . For example: Vangelis have very good music but don't give me goosebumps. No other than Jarre can do that with me. But that will not say that he has bad stuff too. I'm not following like a headless chicken. "Oxygene 3" give me goosebumps from beginning to the end! :wink:

Greetings,

Christophe
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 am
AnDrOiD

Analog-Umph wrote:As far as synthesizer tones are concerned, this is a very very uninteresting album. None of these sounds are new, or particularly out there, or innovative. Or used in innovative ways. There is no audacious use of the synthesizer, that makes you stand up and go, "Woah, this guy doesn't give a $%#.... he's creating a new language here, a new world, a new universe. A new vision of something not seen before!
Please enlighten me with an example of an artist, that do just that. I'd like to hear sounds I've never heard before, performed in a way I've never heard before. Is this/these artist/s from another planet? :mrgreen:

I'm listening to Oxygene 3 for the sixth time now, and it's an album that gets better every time I listen to it. And that's the best kind of albums, and music. Instant "hits" gets boring fast. This album is Oxygene with a modern twist, and I like it a lot. I wasn't sure to begin with, but now I am. :D Oxygene Pt. 20 is a beautiful piece of music, and almost feels/sounds like a requiem. I like that there's a little snippet of pt. 6 in there.
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:13 am

Likes received  : 1

Unboxing video of the boxset:

:q!
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 am
Jarreshair

It's nice enough, but underwhelming. At times it feels as if JMJ has taken some Electronica outtakes and knocked up an album quickly. IMO it shouldn't have the Oxygene name on it, and I would say that if you took the best instrumental tracks from Electronica and put them out on one album you would have a far better and interesting album than this.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 am
Velodynamic

starmike wrote:The trilogy is on acousticsounds.com 24/48.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.c ... =oxygene+3

I have the 24/96 release of Oxygene from Qobuz.
It works only in the USA. Btw are these actual files from the studio/master or are they ripped from vinyl or other formats?
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:55 pm
Oxynoxe

Velodynamic wrote:
starmike wrote:The trilogy is on acousticsounds.com 24/48.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.c ... =oxygene+3

I have the 24/96 release of Oxygene from Qobuz.
It works only in the USA. Btw are these actual files from the studio/master or are they ripped from vinyl or other formats?

They're Studio Masters - HIGHRESAUDIO guarantees that their files are true, native HiRes material: https://www.highresaudio.com/en/content ... yguarantee .

Oxygene 3:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/v ... -oxygene-3
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/oxygen ... 6446161167
https://www.7digital.com/artist/jean-mi ... -3-5945737
http://www.hdtracks.com/oxygene-3

Oxygene Trilogy:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/v ... remastered
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/oxygen ... 6446156095
https://www.7digital.com/artist/jean-mi ... gy-5945703
http://www.hdtracks.com/oxygene-trilogy

All files are 48kHz/24bit - also on Qobuz.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:21 pm
Jote

Likes given: 18
Likes received  : 21

1906 wrote:Unboxing video of the boxset:

So, there's a poster of the revamped "Oxygene 1-6" skull. I could have sworn mine was the new "sideways" skull, but it was late so I could be wrong. Can't check it now because I have just returned the box set to the store...
Oxynoxe wrote:They're Studio Masters - HIGHRESAUDIO guarantees that the files are true, native HiRes material
In Layman's terms: does that mean that they are quieter?
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:42 pm
odo

I see while the front/back covers use "Oxygene 2" and "Oxygene 3" for the sequels, the discs themselves, both CD and vinyl, are labelled "1-6", "7-13" and "14-20"...
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:56 pm
Jote

Ok, this is geeky - the last sound of Oxygene 19 (last two seconds, just before the first chord of Oxygene 20 hits) is a... sound effect from the original Doom video game from 1993.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:40 pm
Jon

I really like this album. I am hearing a mixture of old and new Jarre, those elements of his early years. After Electronica, it is refreshing to listen to Jarre going back to normal ground. I think one problem that some have with this album is that they have become use to the Electronica sounds and feel and forgot what Jarre sounded like in the old days. You listen to Oxy 3 and wait for some thumping kick-ass beat to erupt, but it doesn't. Personally I like that because it makes the listener, if they so need, create something in its place. I can see a number of artists mixing and sampling tracks from this album. A remix album or EP would be most welcome.

However, lets not go down that road for the umpteenth time of getting personal of what people should or should not like. So what if Jarre created a album that one out of ten don't like. What do you expect Jarre to do next, go back in the studio and re-do the album while corresponding with you on how YOU want it to sound. Considering the lull of 8 years, in the space of a year (or so) we have had 3 brand new albums from Jean Michel Jarre. That has never happened before and most likely never again. Most of us, including me I will add, thought Jean Michel was or had decided to quit the music industry. Lets face it, he did say during the making of this new album he had seriously contemplated that. Thankfully for us fans he didn't. The outcome of persevering is a very worthy album to complete the Oxygene chapter.

As for the album, agree or disagree, I frankly don't care, but I hear a artist who in musical form has created an opus reflecting on the world of now, today. The Oxygene earth skull has always indicated the dying and decaying planet. Jarre, to me, is expressing what most of us are now finally beginning to grasp that this earth has been taken so much for granted we as humans are destroying it as much as we are destroying ourselves. The album is filled with shattered hope, melancholy, sadness, and some distant echo of earth or mankind sending out a S.O.S into space. I have listened to this album several times since yesterday and every single time I feel the same, sad but somehow at peace. It is the music that is doing that and a album that can do that, play upon the emotions, is a strong album. . . In my honest opinion.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:44 pm
Jote

Well put, Jon. Kudos.
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:06 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 21
Likes received  : 10

Jote wrote: Anyway, here's a picture of the "Oxygene 2" sleeve:

Josue143803 wrote:I'm not surprised since it was mastered by Dave Dadwater. :? :roll:
Flimsy paper sleeves instead of proper cardboard ones and mastering by Crapwater even though JMJ claimed the mastering was going to be proper this time... then again, he also said that the mastering for the 2014-15 releases was also out of his hands, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be any different this time. I really hope that the O7-13 LP in this boxset would at least have the original 1997 LP master.

Glad that I ordered the box from Amazon.de for 145 € instead of buying it from a store in Finland for 198 €. But if the paper sleeves represent the overall quality of the boxset, well, then it wouldn't even be worth 145 € tbh. :P
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 pm
Oxynoxe

Jote wrote:
Oxynoxe wrote:They're Studio Masters - HIGHRESAUDIO guarantees that the files are true, native HiRes material
In Layman's terms: does that mean that they are quieter?

Probably the HiRes-files are not quieter in terms of mastering quality. I guess it's the same Master for all released media (apart from such things like the RIAA equalization for Vinyl).

What I meant with the HRA-guarantee is that their HiRes-files are not ripped, upscaled or converted (e.g. PCM->DSD).

Oxygene 3 was mastered by Sound Engineer David Perreau (=Dave Dadwater) from yakudaaudio.com -- what to expect?
Post Posted Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:43 pm
VinylScratch

So sad that this is the same record company that let Daft Punk get away with decent masters for Random Access Memories, yet JMJ gets it with the maximum compression hammer every time... :(

2020 Zoolook.nl