Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 14-20


Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 am
Jote


User avatar
Online Now
Posts: 742
Location: Lodz, Poland
Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 10

Oxynoxe wrote:
Jote wrote:It is especially evident for instance in Oxygene 9 between 2:40 and 2:50.
Strange: I do not hear any pops/cracks in Oxygene 9, even not between 2:40 and 2:50.

I'm listening to the 48kHz/24bit Trilogy-files from Qobuz, on a Mac with Audirvana+ via good Headphones.
I guess maybe not everyone is able to hear them. I checked my own CD rip, other CD rip and a 48/24 copy. They are present in all of them.
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 pm
ep0ch


Posts: 4

I can hear them, i cannot believe how a mastering can get worse over time.
If it sounds worse don't touch it!

The crashing waves at the beginning of pt 6 used to sound like waves, now it is just white noise to me. :(

Are there any vinyl rips available? Mine are being left unplayed...
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 pm
Jote


User avatar
Online Now
Posts: 742
Location: Lodz, Poland
Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 10

ep0ch wrote:Are there any vinyl rips available? Mine are being left unplayed...
I might have mine professionally digitized next month, but... there were reports about the vinyls being off-center, so perhaps we can't win.
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm
jeanbatman


User avatar
Posts: 852
Location: Lille, France

Great album, first half very organic and modern synth-sounding at the time. Quite a surprise the laser harp (or Synthex) jumps in again… Oxy17 is nice and catchy with some reminiscence of Oxy 1 at the end. The second half takes us back to the roots of his music, with a 70's feel and a much more minimalistic approach. What people may be missing from the first two opuses could be there are no choirs or repeated melody throughout like in most of his records…
That didn't bother me, I was heading from something different from Electronica and Oxygene 7-13 instead of repeating himself.
9,5/10!
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:15 pm
shadow


User avatar
Posts: 1234
Likes received  : 4

Finaero wrote:
shadow wrote:If Vangelis and Mike Oldfield have full control over their older works why not him?
While true for Rosetta (aside from those three errors in the main master which persists in all versions of the album), don't forget the quality of Vangelis' "own" 2013 remasters. : <
Disappointing? Perhaps. Completely deliberate? Yes. These are completely different from the missing drumhit, audio drops, audio clicks and pops and LOUDness.
Jote wrote:
ep0ch wrote:Are there any vinyl rips available? Mine are being left unplayed...
I might have mine professionally digitized next month, but... there were reports about the vinyls being off-center, so perhaps we can't win.
Well at least the original releases are still available. And apparently the seperate Oxygene 3 vinyl is fine. So we'll see. Keep us updated! :wink:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:40 pm
Jon


User avatar
Posts: 2285
Location: (UK) On the toilet reading a newspaper

Velodynamic wrote:
docklands88 wrote: Pardon me but when has he blamed Sony for the extreme loudness? I must have missed that.
It's what JMJ said according to Elf who published an interview with him in a Norwegian newspaper. ;)

src: http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=180
Elf wrote:"Oh, by the way. All Oxygene albums have been remastered again for the new package, "with an analogue approach (no loudness war!) " and Jarre said he completely agreed with all the fans who have been complaining about the latest remasters. Jarre said they are awful, and that they were done by the record company and was out of his hands.
But is that "(no loudness war)" the words of Jarre or the author? The author is quoting Jarre as saying "with an analogue approach" The "(no loudness war)" quote appears to be an add-on from the author. Maybe Elf can confirm or elaborate more.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 pm
Elf


Posts: 241
Location: Molde in Norway

Jon wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:
docklands88 wrote: Pardon me but when has he blamed Sony for the extreme loudness? I must have missed that.
It's what JMJ said according to Elf who published an interview with him in a Norwegian newspaper. ;)

src: http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=180
Elf wrote:"Oh, by the way. All Oxygene albums have been remastered again for the new package, "with an analogue approach (no loudness war!) " and Jarre said he completely agreed with all the fans who have been complaining about the latest remasters. Jarre said they are awful, and that they were done by the record company and was out of his hands.
But is that "(no loudness war)" the words of Jarre or the author? The author is quoting Jarre as saying "with an analogue approach" The "(no loudness war)" quote appears to be an add-on from the author. Maybe Elf can confirm or elaborate more.
I sure can.

"No loudness war" is my personal comment.

Everything else is quoted from what Jarre said. I just went trhough my notes to verify, and they are his words.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:04 pm
Velodynamic


User avatar
Posts: 3433
Location: Sweden, far north

Jote wrote:
Oxynoxe wrote:
Jote wrote:It is especially evident for instance in Oxygene 9 between 2:40 and 2:50.
Strange: I do not hear any pops/cracks in Oxygene 9, even not between 2:40 and 2:50.

I'm listening to the 48kHz/24bit Trilogy-files from Qobuz, on a Mac with Audirvana+ via good Headphones.
I guess maybe not everyone is able to hear them. I checked my own CD rip, other CD rip and a 48/24 copy. They are present in all of them.
Today I popped my original Sony CD from 1997 into my (spanking new) PC and listened through Sony mdr-xb950bt (headphones, wire connected) just as a reference to the new 24/48 flac files of the new "Oxygene 2" (7-13) remix.
The difference for me is that the old CD sounds softer, less treable'ish and more quiet! (where it is supposed to be quiet). It's as if someone back then decided to put noise cancellation over the whole thing.
BUT....and here is the big thing, the clicks/pops can be detected on the original Oxy 7-13 CD as well even though it's hidden further back from the "every day" listening levels.
You really have to know what to listen for and crank up the volume a bit.

So what has happen here? I think that like so many times before "the shit behind the levers" is in a desperate hunt for More Details. In order to achieve More Details from the old masters he simply amplify everything from the masters.
The good stuff but also the bad stuff is put forward and becomes visible to the naked ear and totally unrevealed for a terrified public to behold. As the saying goes, nothing good will come that doesn't bring anything bad with it.
Maybe back in the days the studio equipment weren't sensitive enough to pick up sound impurities as brutal as today?
Well that's just my theory but it still doesn't explain why it has to be so darn loud and distorted in today's mixing.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:04 pm
Velodynamic


User avatar
Posts: 3433
Location: Sweden, far north

//doublepost
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm
AnDrOiD


User avatar
Posts: 4387
Location: Planet Tellus

Analog-Umph wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:I'm listening to Oxygene 3 for the sixth time now, and it's an album that gets better every time I listen to it. And that's the best kind of albums, and music. Instant "hits" gets boring fast. This album is Oxygene with a modern twist, and I like it a lot. I wasn't sure to begin with, but now I am. :D Oxygene Pt. 20 is a beautiful piece of music, and almost feels/sounds like a requiem. I like that there's a little snippet of pt. 6 in there.
That's great. Glad you're enjoying it. As for instant hits getting boring real fast ---- jeez where would that have left Oxygene 1-6 in my heart, if things always worked like that. Yet it was both a hit with me and it also grew on me. I got to experience both "sides" with Jarre's earlier work.

Yes O20 is real nice, it also reminds me of this great 2011 track:

*
There are of course exceptions to the rules. :hypocrit: Like Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence. Loved it from the first time I heard it - on Peter's Pop Show - before it was released, and still loves it today, and consider it to be the best song they've ever made. :nod:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 pm
AnDrOiD


User avatar
Posts: 4387
Location: Planet Tellus

Reading about the remasters, I'm glad I have all the original released CD's of Jarre's albums. :smoke:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:01 pm
Elf


Posts: 241
Location: Molde in Norway

Just gave the vinyls a listen again, and I didn't dream it. The end of Oxygene 9 is incredibly bad. It just cuts off, right where Oxygene 10 is supposed to start. It's amazingly amateurish.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:12 pm
shadow


User avatar
Posts: 1234
Likes received  : 4

This basically describes the entire handling of this release. The release is amazing in terms of presentation, but the rest?
AnDrOiD wrote:Reading about the remasters, I'm glad I have all the original released CD's of Jarre's albums. :smoke:
I have a bunch of them and most of the '97 remaster which are kind of hit or miss but mostly hit. It's a shame that now with the amazing technological improvements and the insane steps made in magnetic tape conversion we end up with such a mess.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:29 pm
Jote


User avatar
Online Now
Posts: 742
Location: Lodz, Poland
Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 10

Elf wrote:Just gave the vinyls a listen again, and I didn't dream it. The end of Oxygene 9 is incredibly bad. It just cuts off, right where Oxygene 10 is supposed to start. It's amazingly amateurish.
Can you record a short snippet?
Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:45 pm
Elf


Posts: 241
Location: Molde in Norway

Jote wrote:
Elf wrote:Just gave the vinyls a listen again, and I didn't dream it. The end of Oxygene 9 is incredibly bad. It just cuts off, right where Oxygene 10 is supposed to start. It's amazingly amateurish.
Can you record a short snippet?
Here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uql6zyie0jck ... 9.m4a?dl=0

I swear, that is NOT me cutting the sound. It's like that on the record.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"







  • cron
    2020 Zoolook.nl
    Powered by phpBB forum software
     

     

    cron