Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 14-20

Post Posted Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 pm
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 10

Elf wrote:
Jote wrote:
Elf wrote:Just gave the vinyls a listen again, and I didn't dream it. The end of Oxygene 9 is incredibly bad. It just cuts off, right where Oxygene 10 is supposed to start. It's amazingly amateurish.
Can you record a short snippet?
Here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uql6zyie0jck ... 9.m4a?dl=0

I swear, that is NOT me cutting the sound. It's like that on the record.
:( That does not sound good. The 1997 version (as posted by shadow) simply starts to fade-out earlier, but terminates more or less at the same point, just much more gracefully. If I ever digitize the vinyl I guess I'll have to edit it for listening.
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:10 am
Velodynamic

I've tried to compare the Oxygène 1 flac files to my Polydor CD from the 1987 10th anniversary box set.
I really cranked up the 8 and 16kHz sliders to the max on the equalizer but I just can't hear the same clicks and white noises on the old CD.
Perhaps the masters has matured badly over time.
CD's doesn't apparently. :P
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 am
Velodynamic

Here Jean-Michel Jarre explains why he did Oxygène 3 the way he did it.

edit/ just saw that it was posted erlier by Jote. Ahh darnit. :pwned:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 pm
Jarreshair

Tim Prevett (or it could be Ricky Gervais) who is a massive Jarrehead (can I copyright that term?)
reviews the album one track at time. But basically he likes everything apart from part 16 (which I like a lot more than Part 15, strangely) but he's a good reviewer imo.

Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:51 pm
Jon

shadow wrote:This basically describes the entire handling of this release. The release is amazing in terms of presentation, but the rest?
AnDrOiD wrote:Reading about the remasters, I'm glad I have all the original released CD's of Jarre's albums. :smoke:
I have a bunch of them and most of the '97 remaster which are kind of hit or miss but mostly hit. It's a shame that now with the amazing technological improvements and the insane steps made in magnetic tape conversion we end up with such a mess.
This is why I don't bother with reissues and why I opted for Oxy 3 album only and not the set. I have the original 76 Oxy and 7-13 from their original release dates. Now I don't have to worry about glitches. But I can see why collectors who commit to buying these sets expect, atleast, the sets/recordings to be without errors specially when the cost of purchase is accounted for. Listening pleasure is more important than flashy packaging and if you get neither its a costly hobby.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:59 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 4

I'm honestly considering just writing a very negative review on Amazon and contacting the Jarre store directly to complain about the terrible quality. There really needs to be a recall and replacement of the current set. It's hilariously awful.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:14 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 14
Likes received  : 25

Elf wrote:
Jote wrote:
Elf wrote:Just gave the vinyls a listen again, and I didn't dream it. The end of Oxygene 9 is incredibly bad. It just cuts off, right where Oxygene 10 is supposed to start. It's amazingly amateurish.
Can you record a short snippet?
Here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uql6zyie0jck ... 9.m4a?dl=0

Wow, I need to check out the 1997 LP now.
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 pm
Jote

Online Now

Dr_Jones wrote:
Elf wrote: Here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uql6zyie0jck ... 9.m4a?dl=0

Wow, I need to check out the 1997 LP now.
You can check it here (courtesy of shadow):

https://mega.nz/#!KVUBwRCK!NoKryKPxOl6u ... AGs_c0nEqQ
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:40 pm
ep0ch

shadow wrote:I'm honestly considering just writing a very negative review on Amazon and contacting the Jarre store directly to complain about the terrible quality. There really needs to be a recall and replacement of the current set. It's hilariously awful.
Please do this, there is nothing to lose. If a few of us do this then we may get some kind of response.

I wrote to Sony a few days ago and I have heard nothing back. Nor do I expect a response from them being who they are.

In the UK the box set is £150. It is simply not worth anywhere near this unless you must have 7-13 on vinyl.

I am tempted to write to Trading Standards here as I believe the product is counterfeit :)
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:30 pm
shadow

What's the email of Sony? The official store on the JMJ site doesn't support a normal email, just one in case your package got damaged or send incorrectly. It's only for the orders seemingly, not as a general email.

I'll contact Aero itself also on the matter just in case.

But what exactly you mean with counterfeit? General poor quality or a legit fake one?
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:53 pm
ep0ch

i went with:
reception.enquiries@sonymusic.com

I'm sure you could reply to the JMJ site with "your package got damaged " ? And ask them to forward on to correct person

re: "But what exactly you mean with counterfeit? General poor quality or a legit fake one?"

Counterfeit products are generally a poor copy of the original which this seems to be. How do we know it is genuine if it does not sound like the original? It is a humorous way to get a response :)
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:57 pm
Jote

Online Now

shadow wrote:What's the email of Sony? The official store on the JMJ site doesn't support a normal email, just one in case your package got damaged or send incorrectly. It's only for the orders seemingly, not as a general email.

I'll contact Aero itself also on the matter just in case.

But what exactly you mean with counterfeit? General poor quality or a legit fake one?
Please let us know what you end up writing to Sony.
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:05 pm
shadow

Thanks, I'll send one to that email then soon. My current email directly on the Jarre website is as following:
Hello,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to do so, but I'd like to give some negative feedback on the recently released Oxygene Trilogy sets. The CD remasters of Oxygene and Oxygene 2 (7-13) are from surprisingly poor quality. On the original there's obvious sound clipping on a couple of spots and on part VI there's a very obvious audio drop at 4:37/4:38 because of what seems a removed drum beat, an error that I first noticed in 2011 on the Essentials & Remasters release and five years later still hasn't been fixed despite multiple remasters since having taken place and all of them also had this mistake.
On the second album, outside of the loudness and sound clipping, there are constant clicks and pops throughout the entire album for some reason. It's almost as if the masters were taken from a dirty vinyl rip.

Now even worse are the three LP's. All three are slightly off center and because of this when playing the albums there's a constant fluctuation in the audio speed making the three albums pretty much unlistenable due to this.

I'm not sure what to do now because I've heard from many other people that their LP's suffer from the problems so asking for a replacement from Amazon will not fix the issue. I'm curious if there will be a replacement for the already released version or that me and many others are now stuck with this clearly and obvious flawed release.

With the kindest regards
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:10 pm
Jote

Online Now

shadow wrote:Thanks, I'll send one to that email then soon. My current email directly on the Jarre website is as following:
Hello,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to do so, but I'd like to give some negative feedback on the recently released Oxygene Trilogy sets. The CD remasters of Oxygene and Oxygene 2 (7-13) are from surprisingly poor quality. On the original there's obvious sound clipping on a couple of spots and on part VI there's a very obvious audio drop at 4:37/4:38 because of what seems a removed drum beat, an error that I first noticed in 2011 on the Essentials & Remasters release and five years later still hasn't been fixed despite multiple remasters since having taken place and all of them also had this mistake.
On the second album, outside of the loudness and sound clipping, there are constant clicks and pops throughout the entire album for some reason. It's almost as if the masters were taken from a dirty vinyl rip.

Now even worse are the three LP's. All three are slightly off center and because of this when playing the albums there's a constant fluctuation in the audio speed making the three albums pretty much unlistenable due to this.

I'm not sure what to do now because I've heard from many other people that their LP's suffer from the problems so asking for a replacement from Amazon will not fix the issue. I'm curious if there will be a replacement for the already released version or that me and many others are now stuck with this clearly and obvious flawed release.

With the kindest regards
Good stuff, I would however explicitly reference the 2:40-2:50 part of Oxygene 9 as an example (like with Oxygene VI)
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:17 pm
ep0ch

Hi Jote,

Feel free to send your own email to them. The more emails they get the more they might take notice...

I doubt Sony will do anything though, they are all about making money and do not care about quality.

Shadow, sorry i didn't respond in full and have updated my previous post.

2020 Zoolook.nl