Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Equinoxe Infinity - 16 November 2018

Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 am
HunterTech

Just finished Equinoxe Infinity. There's certainly a lot about it that I enjoyed, being that Jarre certainly messed around with a lot of ideas here. There's never a dull moment, the production was generally solid, and it ultimately leaves you wanting to revisit it. I will say that this definitely is to Equinoxe as Oxygene 7-13 was to Oxygene, where it's evident that even as there are a lot of ideas, it isn't exactly the most consistent listening experience. Also, it certainly did feel a bit more modern than 7-13, as any of the old school Jarre tricks are a bit more subdued here, so YMMV is this actually works as a sequel. Though for me, I certainly think it's a solid follow up.

I am glad to see a lot of the reactions being positive so far, though who knows if there's to be more picking apart after this. I will say that I still think I prefer Oxy 3, since I think I get more emotional when listening to that. Of course, I need Infinity to sit with me more before I can decided where it lands. :D
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:40 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 14
Likes received  : 21

I like that Movement 10 has references to other tracks from the album (so far I heard Movement 1 and 6), just like Equinoxe 8 had with Equinoxe 5.
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 am
lacobo

High-Res audio from (a.o) Qobuz is still compressed the life out of it compared to the record.

Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 am
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 9

lacobo wrote:High-Res audio from (a.o) Qobuz is still compressed the life out of it compared to the record.

As is the case with Electronica, Oxygene 3 and Planet Jarre - making the whole high-res thing pointless.
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:42 am
kubrick

lacobo wrote:High-Res audio from (a.o) Qobuz is still compressed the life out of it compared to the record.

Uber boring, Who cares about this... The music counts, not the lame "analyse".
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am
Velodynamic

So once again vinyl is the shit (even though probably not 100% uncompressed). 8)
Jote wrote: As is the case with Electronica, Oxygene 3 and Planet Jarre - making the whole high-res thing pointless.
The Oxygene 3 record's curves looks decent yet it sounds a bit thin and very "poppy".
It could have helped to choose regular black vinyl but as always in JMJ's world design comes first.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:44 am
Jarreshair

I'm finding the album very interesting, probably the most interesting since Zoolook.
There's a lot sounds from previous albums in there, not just Equinoxe. I can hear Magnetic Fields 1 in the last movement, there's some Revolutions in there, some WfC/Calypso, even some Zoolook type sampling, but it's not Jarre recycling, it's all new. It's not Jarre on Oxygene 3 auto-pilot. I think people will be finding new things they like about EI for years to come.

Bravo Mr Jarre!
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:52 pm
Jarreshair

There's a small section of Movement 10 that starts around 2.10 into the track. It's been driving me crazy what that sounded like, then it dawned on me:

Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:27 pm
VinylScratch

Jote wrote:

As is the case with Electronica, Oxygene 3 and Planet Jarre - making the whole high-res thing pointless.
pointless indeed... :mrgreen:
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 4

There's already a vinyl rip? I'm most interested in that one! :mrgreen:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm
Jote

Online Now
Likes received  : 9

VinylScratch wrote:pointless indeed... :mrgreen:
Nah, the issue here is that if those were the quieter vinyl masters it would make sense to release them as 48/24 (even though I'd take a vinyl master in 44/16 anytime). But since this is the over-the-top CD master there is really no point to it.
There's already a vinyl rip? I'm most interested in that one!
Me too.
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 pm
Finaero

Likes received  : 2

Hmm, just occurred to me that even if Infinity is quite catchy, this album doesn't really have a "signature track" like Equinoxe 4 or 5 (or even Oxygene 17, tbh). Still more solid and cohesive as an album than O3, IMO.

Also, listening to the Continuous Mix (not having received my CD yet) made me realize how Movement 9 more or less just fading out at the end bothers me more than Movement 5 doing more or less the same thing.
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:28 pm
lacobo

There's already a vinyl rip? I'm most interested in that one! :mrgreen:
I recorded a 48/24 WAV of the record, but because my record player is a quite crappy one (Sylvercrest :oops: ) the results are not fantastic. But i was to curious if it was 'as loud' as the CD and the High-Res audio files. It shows that it isn't. It sounds somewhat warmer and more analog without over-compression. Now if only the record player was a little bit better....
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 4

Anything is better than mine, it doesn't turn at 33⅓ anymore :P
Finaero wrote:Hmm, just occurred to me that even if Infinity is quite catchy, this album doesn't really have a "signature track" like Equinoxe 4 or 5 (or even Oxygene 17, tbh). Still more solid and cohesive as an album than O3, IMO.
I'd say Movement 6 fills that void, it's upbeat, has a fun lead and sounds good overall.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:20 pm
matt222

Likes received  : 1

I like parts 1,2,6,8,9,10

• 2020 Zoolook.nl