Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Equinoxe Infinity - 16 November 2018

Post Posted Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

jeanbatman wrote:
Finaero wrote:
jeanbatman wrote:In this interview, Jarre makes a bit of fun of Pink Floyd about the 1989 Venice concert
Ooh, what did he say?
Thanks!
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:26 am
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

# Yes Equinoxe Inifinity has areas where adjustments improves specific tracks :

I have analysed these Second by Second threafter forwarded my suggestions for improving specific instances, tracks Equinoxe Infinity.

These adjustment makes Equinoxe Infinity complete.

# Gorgeous passages of composition throughout Equinfinity.

# Interpretations on desolation, isolation, despair,
uplift, hope
fun, humour, mischievouness,
gentleness, tenderness :
in Equinfinity.

# A Certain Inwardness Profoundness.

# Explorations in atmospheres, textures every track.
Exemplary sound design with Stepane Gervais

Various other artists would put in forefront just one aspect of JmJs multi aspect atmospheres, textures.
They would make a whole track from it.

YouTube "Bedroom" synthesists, Eurorack synthesists would "experiment" to show how "experimental" they are.

Whereas JmJ places these in background :
Once a person has attained Mastery there's no reason for "showing off"

Here's JmJ on Eurorack Erica Synths from 16min05
with Kodek of Erica Synths on beats :

Piece of Cake for JmJ.

# Synthesis weaving blending in and out : analogue, eurorack, digital , virtual.
Only Isao Tomita early 1970s matches JmJs natural ability in "cooking" blending weaving synthesis.

:::::

Ive listened to pretty nearly every known synthesists out there

From Bebe Baron, Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire,
Suzanne Ciani

to

70s we know

80s
Bill Laswell, Harold Budd, Laraaji, Michael Brook, Richard Barbieri,
Robert Rich, Robin Guthrie, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Steve Roach.

90s
Another Fine Day, Aphex Twin, Banco de Gaia, Biosphere,
Boards of Canada, Enigma, Gas, Future Sound of London, Tim Hecker,
Higher Intelligence Agency, Monolake, Pete Namlook, Scanner,
Tetsu Inoue, The Irresistible Force, Woob.

00s-10s
Burial, Deru, Fennesz, Gigi Masin, Jan Jelenik, Jon Hopkins, Loscil, Nils Frahm,
School of Emotional Engineering, Sigur Ros, Stars of the Lid,
Tim Hecker, Thomas Koner, Tycho, Ulrich Schnauss, William Basinski.

I've listened to many YouTube synthesists : I can recommed youtube synthesist named Rheyne.
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 am
plate of chips

# Analog-upmh since you are so blunt with your views,
cowardice since you saying this on a forum you would never say to JmJ in person,
you deserve suitable response.

Analog-Umph wrote:With this album (and the last 3), I can see how much truly Jarre has become irrelevant to electronic music. Which I don't say with any joy.

This album, like the last 3 is nothing but pure noise, neither very intelligent nor emotional. Unfortunately.

"Equinoxe Infinity" has nothing to do with Equinoxe, it's no sequel to be sure, just as "Oxygene 3" has nothing to do with the first 2 albums, but is itself mostly vapid noise.

Like O3, EI has its moments which pass all-too soon, as if Jarre is afraid to really let loose and allow the listener into the music, allowing the necessary connection and fellowship. Perhaps he doesn't really have all that much music to show, which is certainly my conclusion about both albums.

I fancy 1, 2 and 6 on "Infinity", but even they could have been A LOT better. For all of the tech Jarre has, if I were to take the average of this album.... this is absolute junk "music"! And he wants to incorporate even more non-human aspects with the artificial intelligence nonsense? - which is its own evil - for those who have been following the development of it. Where is the humanity anymore, where is the spirit?

For all of the sophistication of modern synths, hardware or software, ways of recording, treating and delivering music, the music ITSELF is almost completely absent from all of these recordings. It's just sensationalized noise - when comparing it to the subtle works of art of his earliest releases. It's not even mixed to please the ear. There is nothing pioneering or original anymore - one can see this by simply going to anyone of the thousands of places online, where you can hear amateur musicians with their own synth demos, where good sound choice and actual music are beautifully present, (showcasing both synthesizer or sampler presets in a more creative way and combining them with the music of the piece, that is quite inspiring), much more so than you will find either of those elements in a Jarre album nowadays.

Oxygene and Equinoxe .... that was/is futuristic music, of a high-concept caliber, as if made by someone 900 years old, who understood more than just their immediate craft. I think the albums might be within the pinnacle of electronic music, so that even the artist who created them cannot re-create the same level of excellence. Ask complete newbies who never heard Jarre before to listen to Oxygene, Equinoxe, CiC, Zoolook, and they'll say it's very different music and quite innovative. But let them hear the new albums, and they'll say "nothing exceptional", because it sounds like everything else.... vagueness in high definition.

O3 and EI sound like a teen experimenting with his new synths, learning how to make something sound "cool". Succeeding at no more than good practice, perhaps showing future promise...???
It's as if the 2018 Jarre is a 19 year old Jarre and the 1976 Jarre was the fully mature musician creating more than just noise, even though he named his first big album after a sound created by creatively processing none other than white noise.

Btw, what's up with Mov5 at 1:11, the wind suddenly cuts out. That's just thoroughly sloppy mixing in an age where complete control is possible over every minutiae of a mix, in comparison to the 70s.

The best way to sum up EI is: too much meaningless/disjointed experimentation. Anyone one can do this kind of thing, and it always yields an infinite number of hours of sounds of every kind, in various configurations. It doesn't mean that it means something or anything. It's just meaningless noise, too vague and unrefined.

The way electronic music has opened up today, it allows EVERYONE to do this and even better on their own, without even knowing music theory. Every person can do an "Equinoxe Infinity" and an "Oxygene 3" on their tablet, let alone what one can do on their computer. So why should anyone heed or even pay for an inferior work which seems almost cobbled together and called "music", by a supposedly professional musician?

"Irrelevant"

# What is "relevancy"? To whom " relevant" ? To what extent "relevant" ?
Not just JmJ, other artists too.

# Have you surveyed just a hundred listeners from millions of electronic music listeners to ascertain this so called "relevancy" ?

There is No basis for any of your statements Analog-umph.

You are a prisoner to so called "relevancy" Analog-umph swaying this way and that with the wind.

Creativity exists on its own witOUT any recourse to so called "relevancy"
Certainly Creativity exists outside of foolish beliefs of "relevancy"

"Neither Emotional"

There's so many different types of emotions, interpretations, subtelities within diverse emotions

Your blanket statement on emotion is Immature Analog-umph.

Whereas various other artists ram it down your throats obvious :
oh look how heart wrenching this piece is, oh look how plaintive this piece is, oh look how dark, angry this piece is.

If a person needs emotion rammed down their throats then you Analog-umph are devoid of capability to ascertain diverse emotional subtlety.

JmJ far more subtle. These subtle emotions Equinoxe Infinity listed in my above post

"nothing but pure noise, neither very intelligent"

Person making Noise neither very intelligent is you Analog-umph.

Therefore your Idiocy Silly noises is to be dismissed Analog-umph.

# Regarding Equinfinity my post earlier on this page summarises myriad merits Equinfinity.
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 am
plate of chips

# Jote as you too have been blunt you too deserve suitable response.
Jote wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:With this album (and the last 3), I can see how much truly Jarre has become irrelevant to electronic music. Which I don't say with any joy.

This album, like the last 3 is nothing but pure noise, neither very intelligent nor emotional. Unfortunately.[... snip long post...]
I'd say I agree with most of what you wrote, but I definitely disagree on Oxygène 3. I honestly think it hit a sweet spot without trying too hard to mimic the original while still feeling like "Oxygène" more or less. That's where Oxygène 7-13 failed IMO. It tried too hard to be like its predecessor and it's really on the edge of a "fan tribute"/"parody" territory (Oxygène 9 and 13 especially). That's why I resent people saying "Oh, Robots Don't Cry should've clearly been on Oxygène 3!". No, it shouldn't! It would've ruined it its "independence" and thus it would fall into the self-parody category.

With regards to EI vs O3, O3 feels to be much more coherent and not so busy - because, if we are to believe JMJ, he limited himself to 8 tracks, just like on the original. With EI I feel like I'm constantly bombarded with seemingly random sounds and instruments. It's like the album is constantly trying to grab my attention with "ear-candy".

And while EI is not a sequel to Équinoxe... it kinda makes the same mistake as Oxygène 7-13 did - I tries too hard to reference the original. The almost direct quote from Équinoxe 1 in The Watchers. Or how the "If the wind could speak" (frankly, one of the better tracks on the album) is the new "Band in the rain". Or how "Infinity" kind of references Équinoxe 5. Or how Movement 6-7-8 tries to mimic the continuity of Équinoxe 5-6-7 - which, by the way, it does very poorly: the transitions are hardly seamless, it's very easy to pinpoint where the bass sound changes (both at start and end of "Machines are learning"); and not only that, when the bass intro of Movement 7 is done the main theme starts 1/16th note too early! (I can't stand how it throws off my brain-metronome); the tempo of Mvt6 (♩ = 100) doesn't match that of Mvt7 (♩ = 97.5).

If someone handed me this album and didn't say it wasn't JMJ I would probably say it's a "JMJ fan tribute" at best (and if Équinoxe 1 wasn't quoted in The Watchers I probably wouldn't even label it as such) - I probably wouldn't have said "oh, that's gotta be JMJ". But then again, to be fair, I probably wouldn't have guessed that Revolutions was JMJ if someone had handed me it in 1988.

Jote you agreeing with most of Analog-umph :
Foolish belief that Creativity is somehow linked to so called "relavancy" ;
Analog-umph's Immaturity on emotion ;
Analog-umph making Idiocy Silly noises
makes you same Jote.

Myriad Merits Equinoxe Infinity listed in my post earlier this page.

# Yes Equinoxe Inifinity has areas where adjustments improves specific tracks :

I have analysed these Second by Second threafter forwarded my suggestions for improving specific instances, tracks Equinoxe Infinity.

These adjustment makes Equinoxe Infinity complete.
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 am
plate of chips

Analog-Umph wrote:...
Jote wrote:...
Too often people as you two Analog-umph, Jote haven't done anything of note creatively are far too Immature in disparaging others creativity.

Too Foolish to realise your Rubbish personality aspect disparaging others creativity is the Very thing makes Creativity of note Avoid your door.
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 am
plate of chips

Analog-Umph wrote:...
Jote wrote:...
Beyond subtelty different emotions, beyond weaving synthesis, beyond creating diverse atmospheres,
Beyond outward appearances
there is a certain Inward Profoundness Equinoxe Infinity :
this is due to JmJ

JmJ Never makes this obvious.

Whereas various other artists name tracks, place obvious signs in their tracks :
to indicate some type of "deepness" "spirituality" "mysticism".

JmJ always avoids overt displays.

# To appreciate beyond the outward we require certain Inwardness.

Analog-umph, Jote you both are lacking thus you can't grasp this.

Analog-umph, Jote you both are apprenctices you are trying to comment on something beyond both of you.

Inward Refinement is something you both Analog-umph, Jote can journey towards as it is undiscovered part of you both, part of every person.

* Certainly Inward Refinement brings added dimension Profoundness towards Creativity. *
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:03 am
kubrick

JEAN MICHEL JARRE, JEAN MICHEL JARRE, I LOVE YOU, JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:17 pm
Robi

Idiot.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:35 pm
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

You can't force people to meet your opinion, that's the one thing.
Maybe the mods should time out someone here before it gets a mess.
Post Posted Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

jeanbatman wrote:You can't force people to meet your opinion, that's the one thing.
Your best bet is to simply ignore. He's proven time and time again that he treats his opinions as facts. Whenever a contradictory opinion or legitimate constructive criticism is posted he will either reply "wrong." or will simply start attacking, insulting and patronizing ("you both are apprenctices you are trying to comment on something beyond both of you", "your rubbish personality" etc. etc.) the person who dared to disagree with the Truly Enlightened Oracle.

But I love how he accuses other people of being immature, although it's not as funny as it used to be.
Post Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

With all due respect, mister Plate of Chips, I can't even comprehend what you're trying to say.

Easy with the catnip a'ight? :smoke:
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:08 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

So, has anyone seen the VR "concert"?
Post Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinoxe Infinity, Live in TheWaveVR - Presented by SUTU

Video:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

There it is :-) thank you
Post Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm
Big time

Kanta wrote:Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinoxe Infinity, Live in TheWaveVR - Presented by SUTU

Video:
The 90's are back! I suspected to see Pet shop boys somewhere in there (Skipped quickly through it) :P
King of smileys :D

• 2020 Zoolook.nl