Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The groundbreaking China Concerts, 30 years on

Post Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm
tinmachine

Today is the 30th anniversary of JMJ's opening concert in Beijing for The Concerts In China.

Still don't really know the set-list(s)!

What I'd give for a remastered dvd/blu ray of this :)
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 11

What I'd give for more information and real footage of the concert, rather then weird footage of China... To bad, my fav live album also :(
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:52 pm
jarresantiago

For those who want to see and ear the concert in 5.1 sound....

Post Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 pm
jarrepaul

How much GBP.
Europe in Concert Manchester 1993
Oxygène Tour Manchester 1997
World Tour 2010 Manchester
Post Posted Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:53 pm
jarresantiago

answered via private mail ;)
Post Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:01 pm
melo

Ok, I not open another topic about China/81, I will use this old topic.

D&AD Silver Award - 1983

D&AD's design awards have enthralled the industry for over half a century. In the third in our series of articles, R/GA's George Prest looks back at some of the winners from the '80s.

Design and Art Direction (D&AD) was founded in 1962 by a group of London-based designers and art directors including David Bailey, Terence Donovan, Alan Fletcher and Colin Forbes (who designed the original D&AD logo). The group was dedicated to celebrating creative communication, rewarding its practitioners, and raising standards across the industry.
Today D&AD has evolved into a major global organisation that exists to promote excellence in design and advertising everywhere through educational programmes and rewarding great work through its annual Yellow Pencil awards. Here D&AD's George Prest (above) recalls some of the most memorable winners in the 1980s...
Maggie, the Falklands war, Afghanistan, Rent-a-Ghost, my mum getting a Mini Metro, Lockerbie, Airwolf, the massive storm, the bombing of Libya, Northern Ireland, Chernobyl, playing Revs on a BBC Micro, Acid House music, drainpipe jeans, Reebok Silver Shadows, skateboarding, Chariots of Fire and Ronald Reagan.
This is some of what I remember of the 1980s, in no particular order and unsure of the significance of any of it. To look at the D&AD winning work from that decade is a kaleidoscopic experience as well. There’s humour and attitude, tradition and change and the conventional and the downright bizarre. I think that the industry looks back at this time as a golden age. Let’s examine the evidence to see if this is a rose-tinted approach.

05. Jean-Michel Jarre 'China Promotion'

So the 1980s were an outstanding decade, classic, peerless and the true foundation of advertising as we know it today? Well, yes but check out this promo for Jean Michel Jarre’s China tour. In contrast to everything above it seems dated and rooted in its time. So '80s, a bit off-beam and culturally naïve, like JMJ himself. This would probably go down well in Dalston today, I think, until the next fad came along.

Year: 1983
Award: D&AD Silver Award for the most outstanding Record Promotion
Client: Francis Dreyfus Music
Art Director: Kate Hepburn
Copywriter: Jean-Michel Jarre
Photographer: Mark Fisher
Illustrator: Kate Hepburn
Typographer: Kate Hepburn
Advertising Manager: Mark Fisher
Words: George Prest

George Prest is executive creative director at R/GA London and a member of the Board of Trustees at D&AD.
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:53 pm
jeanbatman

melo wrote:Ok, I not open another topic about China/81, I will use this old topic.

D&AD Silver Award - 1983

D&AD's design awards have enthralled the industry for over half a century. In the third in our series of articles, R/GA's George Prest looks back at some of the winners from the '80s.
Good share… I initially thought it was for Music for Supermarkets, based upon the year of the reward…
Post Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:56 pm
Elf

Yan Friis is a Norwegian journalist who for years wrote for a magazine called Det Nye (the New). In the 70s and the 80s it was a magazine for people from the age of 16 to their mid 30s. In 1990 they changed the design and demographics totally and became a fashion magazine.

Today Friis is a well known radio personality in Norway, and he hosts a couple of shows with a another former journalist from Det Nye, Finn Bjelke.

A few years back Friis started to post photos of articles he wrote for Det Nye. I was made aware of this today, and since I knew he was the Norwegian journalist that was invited to come on the tour, I was hoping he had posted something about it. And he sure did. Boy did he. Not only did he post four photos from the article, he also added additional comments beneath the photos. Read at your own risk:

This was published on the 6th of July 1982. The concerts were held in October 1981. I was there for the whole tour. Everything I wrote in this review was correct, and to the point. I was sick to my stomach by the pathetic Jarre.

I don't know if it is to my advantage that I didn't know who is wife/partner, Charlotte Rampling was. It really annoyed her that I asked her what she did for a living, so much in fact that she refused to tell me which movies she had done.

The other that travelled with us thought I was joking, so I received no help from them. During a farewell dinner in Hong Kong, the last night before we went home, one of the others from the press tricked me and told me she had done Manhattan.

When I shook her hand to thank her for a wonderful evening, I leaned forward and whispered in her ear: “Manhattan, I knew it!” She exploded, pulled my hair and spat: “Stay away from me, silly man!” The correct Woody Allen movie was of course Stardust Memories. But her most famous movie was probably The Night Porter, a movie I to this day still haven't seen.

The concerts in China was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. But experiencing China in 1981 was fantastic, so I nonetheless owe Jarre my thanks. Without him I wouldn't have been able to see this country and meet this culture, before it was hit by the West. Jarre did the first bit of shovelling.

Here's the review I wrote of the album:

I've been looking forward to Jarre's China album. Not because I was expecting much from the music. That I know all too well after yawning through five concerts Peking and Shanghai. No, I've been excited about finding out how this French daddy's boy would handle his “historical” concert release. Would he chance showing all the embarrassing things that really took place, or would he mercifully hide it behind a smoke screen? Silly of me to ask. Of course he's giving us the candy colored version.

But to give Jarre credit: He doesn't exactly lie. The applause you can vaguely hear between the tunes is real enough. On the other hand: The amount of applause you hear was not something I heard at any of the five concerts I attended. Most of the time, people were completely quiet. Especially in Peking, where the only sound you'd hear were the sound of people walking towards the exits.

By the end of the concert, the room was already half empty. The Chinese just didn't like Jarre's music. So when you're listening to this album, you will get completely the wrong impression. If not a direct lie, it's at least mild rewriting of history.

If the word of mouth from my British colleagues is to believed, the concert film shown on British TV is even worse. So Jarre must have picked up a trick or two form China's own propaganda machinery. Or maybe he's just forgotten that he practically died on stage, many times, and actually believes he left China as a hero? Most likely he's just desperate. He wants to be patted on the back, like a defiant child in his sandbox.

I think we can conclude that Jarre's is so self absorbed beyond belief (just look at the cover on the inside of the album, it's not the brotherhood of cultural exchange that is the focus of the photo, it's Jarre that gets the limelight, pompous and triumphant). Yes, his ego is so gigantic that the explosion that would occur if anyone bursted his balloon would be heard all the way to Peking.

And I'm not exaggerating: When the tour was slaughtered by two of the English reporters travelling with us, Jarre fired his English press secretary. And his “charming” actress wife called one of the journalists and chewed her out. (Charlotte Rampling can do more things than show her boobs in her movies). In short: Jean-Michel Jarre is the poster boy for synthesizer music, and woe to the ones who dare not to kneel in front of his greatness.

I haven't written a single word about the music so far. Ok. Ok. That annoys me too. Mostly because this was the kind of trash music that was allowed to introduce Western popular culture to the Chinese. This empty nothingness. The sleeping supermarket monster. And all the horrible effects that were supposed to mesmerise and enchant the Chinese, lasers, lights and quadrophonic sound (thankfully you won't experience this while listening to the album). The pompous Jarre wanted to impress.

His denouncement of Chinese technology flew back in his face, though. The chinese technicians weren't very interested in Jarre's giant battery of effects. They were more fascinated by the western design of screwdrivers. Yes, this is true! While Jarre pointed at his lasers, the Chinese were crawling on the floor looking for screwdrivers!

Oh, that's right. I was going to write about the music. Do I have to? I'll settle for a few examples. Equinoxe IV is representative for the rest of the album. Simple synthesizer themes and a drummer so bad that he can't even keep the rhythm. Or Orient Express (with an intro from the landing in Shanghai, just before one of the worst landings I've ever experienced), a song that despite all the synthesizers bleeps and stereophonic grandia, is built around a pretty traditional rock'n'roll theme. Actually, it's not even that. It's just a rock'n'roll intro, that never changes or develops into anything memorable.

And that's what Jarre's music is like: It's building up to something that never happens, but this – something – never happens. So the music just falls out the backdoor, and then you forget about it. It's music that has said what it wanted to say after the first few bars. After that it's just constant repetition, camouflaged behind these stereophonic sounds that symbolises Cosmos. It's just do darn boring!

And it's sickening when you're exposed to the nagging theme from Magnetic Fields, a theme that reappears constantly on side 3 and 4 (it turned up even more often at the concerts, and journalists were soon stuck with the darn thing in our heads, so much that we cried while our brains went “pling pling blipp.”

Jarre defines him self pretty well in The Last Rumba. It was supposed to be some sort of highlight during the concerts, and was played towards the end. Jarre walked down from his electronic throne and placed himself behind an electric piano, heavily decorated with car lights and mirrors (they never got the damn things to work), put his head backwards in deep concentration and... then it ended up with an infantile wishy washy rumba. Catchy and sweet. The great artist at work!

Jarre likes to describe his music as rock. Listen to The Last Rumba, and you be the judge. I think even Children's Hour in the radio would have rejected him.

The albums opus has the title Fishing Junks at Sunset. It's performed by a chinese symphonic orchestra (the instrument selection is quite different from the ones used by western orchestras). The poor Chinese musicians make a touching attempt to get the composition to feel alive. Totally blind to the fact that they are lured into a blind alley, Jarre's “I'm a serious composer Tom foolery.

The orchestra's harps and strings try to make the music work, during its various sections. It's overloaded with sweetness and romantic feeling, but mostly incoherent and nagging. It's a mess of a composition, the kind of music you would hear in a mediocre movie. And it doesn't help that Jarre, from his electronic monastery, interrupts and and distracts with his space noises and other blip blop noises.

This is not East meets West. It's the East being smashed under bad taste from the West. I spoke to some young Chinese people outside the concert venue, and they felt the same way: - He's making fun of us!

Other things worth mentioning? The fact that Jarre is standing around creating noise with his overrated laser harp. The fact that you hear bits of announcements from Chinese radio broadcasts and snippets from other recordings. The fact that the ping pong sound effects, sandwiched between two tracks (and which was being played in quadrophonic sound at the concerts), puzzled the Chinese.

They just didn't get the fact that it was the sound of a ping pong ball because the the ball bounces one time too many, the entire track. Even such a minor detail was something that the self appointed French Marco Polo didn't manage to get right.

And as far as I can tell, Souvenir of China must have been recorded after he came home to France, because I can't remember it being played at any of the five concerts, just so you know that as well.

The China Concerts is the great zero to beat all zeros. The most expensive ego trip in the record industry. When other people go on holiday, they are content with showing their snapshots to the most immediate family. Jarre obviously didn't feel that was enough.

He went to China for a vacation, dragged 60 people with him, brought tons of luggage, turned the Chinese culture ministry upside down, filmed the whole ting and even managed to fool the Chinese into financing the whole thing.

And when he finally shows his snapshots, he does it in a show off kind of way. Not just for the family. Oh no! When Jarre has been on a holiday, the whole world should know.

And there you have our man in his China suit, looking into a mirror, while the rest of the world gets to look at retouched and manipulated photos. Ignore the damn fool. Let him get high on himself in peace. His next goal is a concert on the moon. I'm not going!

--------------------

So that was Yan Friis' article from China, and review of the album. In a comment to the last photo of the article, he writes this on his Facebook page:

Jarre still hasn't reached the moon, but I had the pleasure of seeing Tor Milde (another Norwegian journalist, writer and Idol judge) pull the plug on Jarre's mega show for Swatch in Zermatt in 1992.

The laser played on the mountain. And suddenly it no longer did. The sound technicians came running, but they never understood that the two Norwegians, roaring with laughter, had anything to do with it.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:15 pm
Robi

It hurts to read but I get a different point of view I haven't known about the great Jarre.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm
Elf

Robi wrote:It hurts to read but I get a different point of view I haven't known about the great Jarre.
Yes, I know. And I've heard similar stories about the China tour before that are consistent with Friis' claims. Even if I think Friis' points are colored by the fact that he doesn't like Jarre's music.
-Elf-
Post Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:45 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 21
Likes received  : 10

It's one thing to dislike someone's music ( some do it with more tact than Norwegian comedians, though ;) ) but to actually sabotage them for that reason? Ah, journalists.

(Even though that's the first time any "technical glitches" during the Zermatt playback-fest have been brought up)
Post Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 28
Likes received  : 43

Wow, that's a pretty vile review. He's probably one of those Bob Dylan-generation journalists.
Post Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 pm
jeanbatman

Only owe to the respect for the great artist that was Roger Rizzitelli, I will not comment on this, made most of stupidity and hate…
Post Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 pm
Elf

Dr_Jones wrote:Wow, that's a pretty vile review. He's probably one of those Bob Dylan-generation journalists.
Ha ha! That's a friggin' good way to describe him, yes! :D
-Elf-
Post Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 am
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

True or not true... I don't care that much. Still the cultural differences would perhaps make it difficult to Jarre's china tour concept.

I have decided that I will never listen to reviews of music. It's like making a review of mona lisa... some a facinated enough to spend their Whole life breaking codes about it. Others like it because it's famous, others maybe hate it while others simply don't care about it. It's indiscussable.
We have a famous music journalist here in Denmark... he is mostly famous for shooting Down 99 of 100 music reviews that he makes. Of course he has stamped on music I liked, while he has praised music I really dislike. He's just famous for being an ass, and it makes him occupied/earning for a living for whatever magazine as long as he continues his path.

2020 Zoolook.nl