Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Welcome To The Other Side - Jean-Michel Jarre New Year Eve’s concert at Notre-Dame in VR

Post Posted Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 am
netrom

Likes received  : 4

Apparently the concert is also available to other broadcasters through Eurovision, so who knows where it might pop up https://www.eurovision.net/events/cultu ... 00/details
Post Posted Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Robi83

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 14

There would shortly be an album called Welcome to the other side?
Post Posted Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:32 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Robi83 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:47 pm There would shortly be an album called Welcome to the other side?
We can only speculate. Things that are in favor of this theory:

1. Shazam results lists "Welcome to the other side" as an album
2. Kosinski (the remixer) mentioned on his souncloud that Jarre will release his track on a new album
3. The announcement mentions that the concert will be available on streaming services

From all the above I infer that there will be a release of a "live" (yeah right) album of this event. I suppose it will be a digital-only release. Time will tell.
Post Posted Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:21 pm
czt

Likes received  : 5

All this "VR" is "BS", another bad "idea" just like eon, from a JMJ in a phase in which he want to be very trendy and pioneering and don't have real ideas and concepts to create original music.
The ever existing best Oxygene CD version: 800 015-2 02
Post Posted Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:17 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the VR, given how dramatically bad it was the last time. The idea of a virtual concert is not a bad one though, I just wish - as I mentioned earlier - there was a screen above his avatar showing his face and torso to "humanize" it a bit, because in the current form it seems completely sterile. Notre-Dame is a great "location" to do it, although he should've done this last year, while that subject was still hot (sic).

And I don't mind that remix and that it was made by a nameless dude - the way JMJ reworked it by adding eminent, mellotron and new drums it sounds pretty good. And it also benefits that nameless dude as he gets recognition (quite possibly money is involved as well).
Post Posted Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:14 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

As a terrain that needs to be explored in these COVID times, I think this VR thing is one of the more creative ones. I have seen some (live) stage plays via Zoom and Vimeo which don't have any audience or a handful of people and it's hard for artists to don't get any live feedback. Heck, I did a comedy routine two months ago, 25 people. It was damn hard. For almost all of the performances I saw, most of the watchers are online sitting behind their screens. VR can be a great way for an artist to get some "live" reaction with a large amount of people. I like people doing things like that. I might not have a VR set and I probably won't in the future, but I wish everyone who will be there a fun time. For me, the music is the important part.
Post Posted Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:39 am
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

I think JMJ is doing the right thing here, exploring this format in 2020. Agree, it is hit and miss – e.g. the avatar doesn't look great, the VR isn't perfect - but it'll only get better as both Jean-Michel and the team learn more each time they try. In a few years, who knows how good this could be?

With regards to the Notre -Dame location, I think this is such a wonderful choice. And as Dr Jones says, the music is the important bit. So here are my thoughts for how the music, visuals and locations should be combined:

USE A FAKE HISTORY?

Imagine it’s December 1978 and Equinoxe has been released the previous month. JMJ has just been approached by the City of Paris authorities to perform a concert on 14th July 1979. He’s intrigued about this opportunity. But he’s not played Oxygene or Equinoxe live before. He needs the space and time to rehearse his ideas for the music and the visuals, somewhere secret. What does he do? He sneaks into Notre-Dame one night, with a bunch of analogue synths, some old TV monitors, and some basic lighting equipment. This “fake history” could make a great storyline for the first part of WTTOS.

It is this scenario that I would use to begin the first 10 minutes of Welcome To The Other Side. Imagine JMJ playing Oxygene and Equinoxe, the original mixes, alone in a deserted Notre-Dame? Small stage set up, a rig of synths and a flickering bank of TV, showing the projection graphics and even futuristic film footage pulled from the actual Place de la Concorde show.

HACK THE CATHEDRAL ARCHITECTURE

The carvings on the ornate columns and stonework inside and outside Notre-Dame can be hacked by the virtual concert coders to include Michel Granger icons – the Rendezvous globe, the Equinoxe watchers, the Chronologie women, the Oxygene skull.

LOW-FI START AND AN EDM FINISH

This low-fi first ten minutes would be a wonderful atmospheric sequence of dreamy analogue soundscapes using a mix of Equinoxe 1, 2 and 3 plus Oxygene 1, 3 and 6. Just one performer, a bunch of kit and crackly, old-tech visuals – TV screen, spot lights and fluorescent strips. This low tech start can slowly morph into the Electronica era Jarre. The beats become stronger and louder, the visual effects start to grow and become more dazzling…. and then he’s off into EDM world. Tracks like Herbalizer (dreadful name!), Circus and Automatic can be added to the set list and the beats and the volume can then go crazy.

WHY I LIKE THIS IDEA

What this approach delivers is three-fold: First, it shows a respect for the Notre-Dame setting, creating an atmosphere appropriate to this location, at least for the intro. Second, it recognises JMJ’s performance history in the French capital. JMJ’s Concorde event is arguably the blueprint for all son et lumiere electronic music shows that followed, of which WTTOS is just the latest interpretation. Third, it allows JMJ to connect with an old-school audience (me!) that still wants to hear that gentle, more minimalist electronic sound that got us hooked in the first place, while allowing him the freedom to appeal to a younger audience that perhaps wants something more er, mainstream.

Anyway, would love to see and hear something like this.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:08 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 310

🔴 Jean-Michel Jarre @jeanmicheljarre, exceptional guest of #BonjourParis, with @TanguydL. See you this Tuesday at 8.15 am live on @BFMParis #WTTOS

Source:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:18 pm
czt

Likes received  : 5

I still maintain that a "studio performance" would be better and absolutely more (a)live. Something similar than Oxygene Live In Your Living Room. If necessary, even with the "nameless dudes" as "partners in crime". :)
The ever existing best Oxygene CD version: 800 015-2 02
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:26 am
Dr_Jones

Online Now

WTTOS announcement on BFMTV Paris
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:29 am
Kanta

“We said to ourselves that we should not give up in these complicated times"

Jean-Michel Jarre tells us where the idea of a virtual concert came from to be found on December 31 at 11:25 pm on BFMTV and BFM Paris

Video:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:35 am
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Nice, I just recorded the live-stream and uploaded the interview on youtube

Shame that the live-stream is 480p.
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:36 am
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Oh, that's a different interview!
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:36 am
Kanta

Virtual concert by Jean-Michel Jarre at Notre-Dame: the composer wants to "send a message of hope"
"We will be able to see the concert in virtual Notre-Dame, myself in the studio controlling the avatar, and at the same time the facade of the cathedral, entirely scenographed, explained the composer on Tuesday on the set of BFM Paris. Because it is she who will make us pass to the new year. "
The musician will wear motion sensors and play on his real instruments live from a Parisian studio on the evening of December 31. These sensors will allow his avatar to reproduce his exact gestures.
"The sensations are practically the same", assures Jean-Michel Jarre. "It feels like you're on a real stage with a real audience. You are teleported with incredible ease into a fantasy world."
Finally, in the eyes of the composer, "it's a bit like in the movie The Matrix". "But less dramatic!", He promises.
"Give culture the consideration it deserves"
Besides celebrating the New Year in an emblematic place of the capital, Jean-Michel Jarre explains that organizing this virtual concert is also a way of "sending a message of hope for the end of this tunnel, which we all want" . "It is also to pay homage to Notre-Dame, who was weakened like us," he judges.
It is also about highlighting the world of culture, which suffered greatly in 2020.
"We must give back to music in particular, to culture in general, the consideration it deserves, assures the composer. We must learn to respect culture and give it the value it deserves. "
Rendezvous on December 31 from 11:25 pm on BFM Paris to attend the Jean-Michel Jarre show live.

Source: https://www.bfmtv.com/paris/concert-vir ... 20093.html
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am
Kanta

Jean-Michel Jarre will be a guest on Happy Hour Radio FG on 22/12/2020 at 18:50.
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010